• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ontario considers allowing BYOB

fresco

I think this is long overdue as well! Now if we could just get beer and wine into the grocery stores :smile:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I think this is long overdue as well! Now if we could just get beer and wine into the grocery stores :smile:

I think that's one reason why Quebec is my favourite vacation spot! :laugh:

-- Jason

Ontario is considering allowing patrons of restaurants licenced to serve alcohol to bring their own bottle of wine and, what's more, to have the bottled recorked and bring any unfinished wine home, says the province's premier:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...479/?hub=Canada

they just had this on the ctv news, and i turned to my boyfriend and said, "what year is it in Ontario? 1965?" :laugh:

it's true; way overdue...

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

If Ontario actually goes ahead with this, it will be the fourth province to allow BYO wine to restaurants--Alberta just opened it up a few months ago, and Quebec and New Brunswick have had it for a while.

But I think in Quebec you can only bring wine to unlicenced restaurants. Don't know how it works elsewhere. As others have said, long overdue.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

I suspect pot will be decriminalized in Canada before BYO wine is permitted in Ontario. :shock:

And when it is decriminalized we can run an eGCI class, "Cooking With Cannabis!" :biggrin:

-- Jason

I suspect pot will be decriminalized in Canada before BYO wine is permitted in Ontario. :shock:

This is unfortunately true. As much as I would love BYO in Ontario for many reasons, I don't think it'll happen. I hope I have to eat (drink?) my words, however!