• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What your comfort foods say about you

(Balmagowry, one of my most-trusted reading friends says that Cold Comfort Farm is one of the best movie adaptations there is. Anyone who can find me a copy of Christmas at Cold Comfort Farm will be rewarded.)

My sisters! The book is beguiling, and so is the movie. A hot Anglican priest who's a pilot...need I say more?

The food in the book is pretty (hilariously) awful. Cold Comfort there.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I like Filipino comfort food:  pakbet (stewed vegetables), sinigang (sour fish and vegetable soup), dinuguan (pork and offal stew with pig's blood, garlic and vinegar) and kare-kare (oxtail and vegetable stew in a peanut sauce).

Not sure what that translates to.

I could tell you... but then I'd have to shoot you.

Or you'd have to shoot me, I'm not sure which.

On second thought, maybe I have no idea. :rolleyes:

Almost raw prime rib torn from the bones with my teeth.

Biting through the blackened fat of a grilled centre loin pork chop.

Congee made with gohan and seared scallops. Slivered scallions and gomasio.

Grilled cheese sandwiches made with sourdough, a mixture of cheeses (preferably smoked) and chopped bacon or salumi.

The fresh smell of fresh plain gohan.

Kimchi.

Halumi with lemon and cracked black pepper.

Mashers with roasted sausages and mustard.

Am I a bad person?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Studies also indicate that mac-and-cheese gals are nymphomaniacs, speedreaders, have perfect pitch, can knit blindfolded, and know all the words to the theme song from "Mannix." Oh yeah, and we're fabulous cooks. :shock:

so, (and you had to see this coming) what are the words to "Mannix"?

gus_tatory:

but i didn't see any agedashi tofu on that list...

Oh, agedashi tofu is not a comfort food.

It is an epiphany.

Edited by Jinmyo (log)

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

mm, prime rib with mashed. too expensive to be comfort food, but still comforting.

chocolate.

mac & cheese

rice and something. maybe galbi

good sushi

freshly steamed soondae and some apple juice

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

Poached eggs on buttered toast made with Stop n Shop sandwich white. Oh, and the secret ingredient: made by my mother.

I think this says I'm a big baby.

My fantasy? Easy -- the Simpsons versus the Flanders on Hell's Kitchen.

Studies also indicate that mac-and-cheese gals are nymphomaniacs, speedreaders, have perfect pitch, can knit blindfolded, and know all the words to the theme song from "Mannix." Oh yeah, and we're fabulous cooks. :shock:

The ever-quotable tanabutler (this is good, but not nearly as good as the smells like happy underpants line)...

I'm with you in the mac-and-cheese club, but I can't sing (I'm oh-so-serious there) and really can't cook (you should see the disaster - aka French Apple Cake - that has been sitting on my stove waiting to be chucked for two days). The rest...

Other comforts... an oversized glass of red wine... edamame... bananas (they are what I eat when I'm so emotional that my appetite for anything else is gone)... chocolate.

I think what this study indicates is the pressure some universities (ok, most universitites) put on their profs to publish, no matter how silly or lacking in scientific rigor the work is, just publish.

Don't you wonder how much this study cost you?

After all, it's your money.

Neat brown liquor and Marlboro Reds...and I strongly suspect that I won't require that study to tell me about myself :biggrin:

That said, crunchy peanut butter on rye bread is a favorite, too.

Todd McGillivray

"I still throw a few back, talk a little smack, when I'm feelin' bulletproof..."