• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

An American Grill

dbrociner

Thanks for the shameless plug. My hostess already told me you'll be dining with us. Look forward to seeing you again, just no titans shirts. Giants blue or nothing. We'll finish our football discussion at the bar after you're done dining.

Thanks, Lou

If that's the case, I better make a reservation soon so I don't lose an opportunity for great food & service! :-)

I have never been to this restaurant, but also have read all of the nice comments. My brother literally lives down the street from the restaurant, and I guess its time we take him and his wife there for dinner.

Casey

Kudos to Chef Lou Reda who will be participating in the Dine Out For Hunger program to benefit the Community FoodBank of NJ. He wll be donating 20% of his proceeds from April 21 to this worthy cause. If you wish to make a reservation for that evening call 973-442-9311.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Just an update: dinner last Saturday night was excellent. I started with spice coated tuna served very rare with a lime aioli and garnished with caramalized onions, seaweed salad and red peppers. Great combination, the lime aioli really added to the flavor of the tuna. My wife started with the Santa Fe Firecracker Calamari which was fried calamari with olives in a spicey sauce-I'm not as up on what she ate. For main course I had a stuffed pork tenderloin with sausage stuffing and granny smith apples. The wife had surf and turf. Neither one of of us were able to finish the main course after the big appetizers and also a plate of delicious fried zucchini that we had in between. Chocolate mousse for desert with a raspberry (strawberry?) sauce was also excellent. All this and a good bottle of champagne.

Thanks again Lou, we'll definately be back!

David,

Great to have you and your wife at The Grill. I wish I could have been around the table a little more but it was a little hectic being V-Day weekend. Next time you can get a babysitter during the week let me know, we'll do a little tasting dinner.

Good choice in champagne, always a favorite. I'll come up with a decent pairing for The widow.

Lou

• 1 year later...

Off topic:

didn't want to start a new thread . Had dinner at American Grill today and really enjoyed the food and reataurant decor. Although there were not too many people in the afternoon, we had good service, two excellent entrees: scallops provencial and scallop and shrimp creole, both were delicious, fresh-tasting, and very very good. I had the chocolate chip mint cake and my friend had the Tartufo. Both were excellent. The drinks were made well and even the coffee was very very good.

Cannot wait to return . Wish we lived closer, here in Nutley. Will be back soon. Made for an fun , easy going afternoon. Thanks

Heuriger Wein is mein Lieblingswein!

Off topic:

didn't want to start a new thread . Had dinner at American Grill today and really enjoyed the food and reataurant decor. Although there were not too many people in the afternoon, we had good service, two excellent entrees: scallops provencial and scallop and shrimp creole, both were delicious, fresh-tasting, and very very good. I had the chocolate chip mint cake and my friend had the Tartufo. Both were excellent. The drinks were made well and even the coffee was very very good.

Cannot wait to return . Wish we lived closer, here in Nutley. Will be back soon. Made for an fun , easy going afternoon. Thanks

Thanks for the post. Nice to know everything runs well when I'm off. Did you eat in the dining room or bar?

Lou

The dining room. Great place. Have to try an evening dinner there sometime soon. But the quiet and rlaxed atmosphere were perfect! As was the food.

Heuriger Wein is mein Lieblingswein!

"I like it very much, and it has a very fine wine list. The service is good and it is quiet." This from a VERY discriminating co-worker of mine who lives in Randolph. He then told me that the restaurant makes the best pepper-crusted tuna he's ever had anywhere.

Just thought you'd like to hear that, Lou! I'm really looking forward to finally getting there, even if I do have to wait until April... :smile:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Just wanted to let Lou know that I'm coming to his restaurant for dinner on Saturday night and I'm shamelessly pandering for special treatment. 

I am coming back too!!! April 24th - it will be early, I will be on route to : The Tabernacle (8:00 PM Show) -- Mt. Tabor, NJ and according to Mapquest that's 17 minuts away! I'll call for a reservation (of course) but may I shamelessly pander for special treatment! (and preorder those amazing mussles!

Jan

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

Just wanted to let Lou know that I'm coming to his restaurant for dinner on Saturday night and I'm shamelessly pandering for special treatment. 

I am coming back too!!! April 24th - it will be early, I will be on route to : The Tabernacle (8:00 PM Show) -- Mt. Tabor, NJ and according to Mapquest that's 17 minuts away! I'll call for a reservation (of course) but may I shamelessly pander for special treatment! (and preorder those amazing mussles!

Jan

Jan, I'll get you to Mt Tabor in 8 minutes. Extra time for a cocktail with me. Please call and let me know what time. The Tabernacle is popular in the area at that time of year ( I have no idea what it is of course). I'm assuming you'll be in early, we'll get you a table in the sun room if I don't have a party booked in there that night.

Lou

By the way, all egullet members should let me know if they're coming in. It can't hurt, after all I can't make gold out of shit. You're gonna get the cusine I serve but with a little extra care which is always helpful on a Saturday. :smile:

Edited by Lreda (log)

I have a board Meeting the night of the dinner, I really will make it to one of the dinners!

I took my husband's first wife...to American Grill for her birthday, the night was perfect- even an out of nowhere snow fall... SO I promised my husband he was next ...and we have tickets for a David Bromberg Concert...I'm counting on time for one more drink Lou, and then the 8 minute drive!

Jan

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler