• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

First Roasting Questions

Msk

OK i got my Freshroast Plus 8.

I fired it up on several occasions and passed out my beans to get several different coffee drinkers opinions. Everyone said, the coffee was great, but it was not as "strong" as they like it and is there a way to make it stronger.

Every time I make coffee in my Cuisenart Grind 'n' Brew drip, the coffee is extremely clear. It has zero bitterness and tastes very good but a little weak. Is this a function of roasting time? Does fresh roasted coffee need to have a larger number of tablespoons per pot? Is this just the way it tastes? Is it the type of bean I am using? Is this why people go the presspot route?

I really do enjoy it but would like to make it a bit stronger.

Msk

High quality fresh roasted coffee is smoother and has less bitterness in many cases. This means one can use the correct amount of beans and get a really full bodied cup that is not overpowering. I make my drip coffee with a Melitta cone but had thre same experience as you when I started grinding and making drip from home roasted beans. I'm not familiar with the "grind and brew" system but if you're not using two full level tablespoons of ground coffee per six ounce cup.... I woud start there. The standard SCAA coffee measure = 2 tablespoons grounds per 6 oz water. Sounds like too much coffee to many of us but with good coffee it will taste exceptional if the brewer is doing a good job (i.e. brews at the right temp, is clean and does not brew too slowly).

Maybe they are just use to over roasted coffee. I would increase the coffee to water ratio first. If you have not done a french press brew with your home roasted I would highly advice you try it. It yields a very full bodied cup. Also you may want to record some stats of your roast. How long to tanning stage, first crack, 2nd and how long into second before cooling. I have a FR+ which roasts very aggresively if unmodified and done by the book. I use a variac and thermometer to better control the roast. I have done some profiles that resulted in a flat taste. With most air roasters there is a narrow sweet spot. Roast too slow and you bake the beans, too fast and it's too acidic. Keep at it and you will see your coffee continue to improve.

If you want a darker roast you can increase the roasting time. Also, the quantity of coffee you place in the roaster influences the darkness, but in the oposite way from what would be intuative: more beans = hotter, darker roast. Sweet Maria's has a tip sheet for the Freshroast Plus 8 here.

Thanks for the information.

I believe in part the first issue was that the roast wasn't dark enough. I have roasted a bit longer and that has helped. I am now going to increase the coffee to water ratio.

I generally don't hear a first crack, but the second crack seems to come around 6:30 or so.

I plan on getting a french press to try it that way also to get a general idea for comparison. (Although I do not have a burr grinder yet) Again, I love the taste, just looking for some added strength.

Msk