• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mignon Steakhouse--Rutherford

pete ganz

Frank--

Welcome to eG! One tip re: finding the Malbec you mentioned; you might try calling or going on line to the site for The Wine Library. The store is in either Short Hills or Springfield--it literally sits on the border. I'm told that they have and can get some unusual wines. And according to a huge article in last Sunday's Ledger, they're not only expanding their store, they're doing a TON of web business. I know of a few serious wine collectors who swear by the place.

Curlz

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Hi WestOrangeFrank. Give River Palm a try. Stuffy place but great beef (though a bit pricy). If you want to cook steaks yourself try John's meat Market in Scotch Plains.

:Dave

:D

... i think the beef is wet-aged, not dry-aged.  i've found a very noticable difference in the results of these two processes as i've been eating more steak this year than ever before. ...

Mr. Tommy, please keep me posted on your findings. Have you tried any from John's lately?

Have you tried any from John's lately?

no i haven't. but now that you remind me, i'll try to get down that way to get some beef. there are only a few retailers in my area selling dry-aged prime beef, and none are butchers. the only two that i know are the Market Basket and Kings. both of which, of course, are very good places to shop, but i'm thinking a place like John's might offer a superior product.

Tommy, go to Whole Foods...I bought some dry aged strips there today and they were fantastic...Well, I should say IT was fantastic, since I only ate one and will eat the other tomorrow. I hope it, too, will be fantastic... :biggrin:

Fantastic then

A

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

Tommy, go to Whole Foods...I bought some dry aged strips there today and they were fantastic...Well, I should say IT was fantastic, since I only ate one and will eat the other tomorrow. I hope it, too, will be fantastic... :biggrin:

Fantastic then

A

this morning i was thinking that i typed "kings" instead of "whole foods". i meant "whole foods", although kings has dry aged beef as well.

i'll give whole foods a shot. do you get that aged minerally flavor that i so enjoy? i've noticed that "aged" can mean many things, and oftentimes i find myself wondering if they meant "aged for 1 day."

mignon has no website as far as i know. a strike against them in my book.

Have you tried any from John's lately?

no i haven't. but now that you remind me, i'll try to get down that way to get some beef.

Also try the sweet Italian sausage. One of my coworkers said their sausage is what gave them most of their reputation. I had it and it was the tastiest and most complete sausage I've ever eaten.

opted to walk around bustling Park Ave. Nothing caught our eyes for coffee/dessert.

Unless things have changed since I left Rutherford last summer, the reason would be that there really isn't anything worthwhile to choose from. The coffee is okay at Cafe Eros (the espresso drinks are middle-of-the-road) but the desserts are for the most part just glorified Sysco frozen crap. Overly sweet and overpriced at that.

Two exceptions are worth mentioning

1) those fruit shaped sorbets that are pre-made but pretty tasty - can't recall the brand but they're good

2) baklava - the owners are Greek - the baklava and related Greek pastries are decent

They also have a covered patio in the back. It overlooks the parking lot of Boiling Springs savings Bank but it's a nice spot to get outside when the weather is tolerable. obviosuly you didn't walk far enough up Park to spot the DQ - then your dessert worries would be over :laugh::wink:

Some things have changed (see New Restaurants thread), but not in the coffee/dessert realm.

I will give a strong second to those two exceptions at Cafe Eros.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

1) those fruit shaped sorbets that are pre-made but pretty tasty - can't recall the brand but they're good

I have a feeling you are talking about Bindi...

I beg to differ...I bet they're from Nastos! It's down in the Ironbound, and they seem to be the sole supplier of sorbet in the corresponding fruit shell at restaurants around here. My favorite is the PEAR one, which I've only ever had at restaurants down 'neck, but I buy them at the store down there. :biggrin:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

• 2 months later...
I beg to differ...I bet they're from Nastos!  It's down in the Ironbound, and they seem to be the sole supplier of sorbet in the corresponding fruit shell at restaurants around here.  My favorite is the PEAR one, which I've only ever had at restaurants down 'neck, but I buy them at the store down there.  :biggrin:

pear sorbet in a pear? sounds de-lish. i am trying to find their website

pear sorbet in a pear?  sounds de-lish. i am trying to find their website

Yes, in a pear! Here's their site: Nasto's

• 3 weeks later...

So, a few of us have talked about it in the past, but we never got anything together. I'm talking about an eGullet off-line event at Mignon. How much interest is there in putting down our keyboards and meeting in Rutherford for some beef?

Definitely interested!

Curlz

CK's Steakhouse in the Renaissance Hotel near the Meadowlands is an excellent steakhouse, but the real star here is the world-class wine list. It's owner, developer Charles Klatskin, is one of the country's great wine aficinados.

no i haven't. but now that you remind me, i'll try to get down that way to get some beef.

Also try the sweet Italian sausage. One of my coworkers said their sausage is what gave them most of their reputation. I had it and it was the tastiest and most complete sausage I've ever eaten.

I'd certainly be up for this - it's my town after all, & it'd be nice to meet some of you folks - as long as you all won't kick me away from the table if I don't order beef. :smile:

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845