• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yellow Croaker

Modern Day Hermit

Last night I purchased some frozen, whole yellow croakers and thought that I would make them this evening. Any ideas on what to do with them? I've only cooked whole fish once :shock:, and that has been years ago.

My friend who grew up in Thailand says they are quite delicious.

--Jenn

How big were these croakers? I never thought about eating them. Down here on the Texas Gulf Coast, they are bait. That is, if we are talking about the same fish. My reference book for this area lists Micropogonias undulatas as Atlantic croaker and may not be the same thing. The reference also says that they are excellent panfish, though. Who knew?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

How big were these croakers? I never thought about eating them. Down here on the Texas Gulf Coast, they are bait. That is, if we are talking about the same fish. My reference book for this area lists Micropogonias undulatas as Atlantic croaker and may not be the same thing. The reference also says that they are excellent panfish, though. Who knew?

Fifi, out here in these parts Atlantic croaker are readily available nearly year round (2-5lbs). I'm from the west coast and thought eating croakers was odd, but one summer on the eastern shore of VA, the old man at a B&B told me we could keep the big ones and he'd clean them and fry em up for us. Dipped in cornmeal, they were actuall quite tasty. A little boney, but tasty nonetheless. A friend of mine who grew up on Virginia tidewater said fried croakers was good local southern food. I see them fresh all over here. For you folks who've never heard a croaker, they....croak (kinda like a frog) as they get near the water surface.

Edited by bbq4meanytime (log)

Hmm... 2 to 5 pounds is pretty good sized. One that size, I would be tempted to filet and fry. Most of the little bait stealing bastards that I catch are MUCH smaller than that and land in the bait bucket.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I actually purchased and ate a fresh Croaker on Friday night. It was about 15 inches in length and probably about a pound in weight (I think...) Flour and olive oil was the treatment. I fried some garlic in the pan at the end. I did not have any lemon or herbs at hand, but it was quite good. It cost $3.99, so it was an inexpensive quick dinner. In the past, I have grilled them as well. The only problem is that it is easy to lose the skin on the grill. Pan fried offers a nice crispy skin and tail (almost the best part!)

Alex

Oops, I didn't get any notifications...

These croaker were small as compared to some other fish, they were about the length of a medium sized dinner plate. They were a little on the small side with a lot of tiny bones but they were quite delicious, everyone had 2.

We ate them with white jasmine rice sprinkled with nahm prik. Simple and light.

--Jenn

I spent some time in North Carolina this past year visiting a friend. A few of the soul food takeout restaurants down there have croaker on the menu and treat it the same way that fresh water pan fish is prepared for soul food here in the northeast: dunk the split cleaned fish in milk, dredge with cornmeal and fry in oil or shortening in a very hot cast iron skillet. Some folks use season salt or its equivalent before dredging in the cornmeal.

Very delicious and yes, it's bony, but one quickly acquires the technique of flaking meat and the crispy skin off the bones to eat. Blue-gills and sunfish are both every good this way. Rock bass are just a bit too bony for most people and aren't as flaverful as the other pan fish.

Popular in my area at certain times of the year is fried bulheads. These are a small variant of catfish and way more flavorful than farm raised catfish. All-you-can-eat fried bullhead dinners are generally under $10. Don't look for ambiance but the food is great.

• 3 months later...