• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cocktail Onoins, the reason to drink Gibsons

littlebear

I confess, I like gibsons because of the onions; but I can't find the ones I like. They are the ones in a salt brine NOT vinegar. Over the years I'd been able to find them under the Red Mill name and lately Dells' from Brooklyn were great; but the last batch was in vinegar. Any bartenders out there understand my plight and know where I can get them?

I adore those onions, which is funny because I generally don't like to eat onions other than to add flavour to something I'm cooking.

However I'm the opposite. I seek out the ones in vinegar than the salt brine. Try Victoria's brand (if you have that in your area :unsure: ). No matter how many times we rinsed those, as one would with capers, they remained salty.

Then there's always those Tipsy Onions that are soaked in vermouth....

I hope this helps. :smile:

edited to add: This is the label/brand I was writing about, however I notice on their large website the cocktail onions are not listed. They may have stopped packing them or they were not featured as one of their hundreds of products, however I could swear I saw them on the grocery store shelf just a week or so ago.

Edited by beans (log)