• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best place to buy a banneton?

CRUZMISL

I am looking for some lined banneton's. King Arthur has them but I can't see paying $75 for a wicker basket and some cloth. There has to be something more economical. I'm tired of my sourdough sticking to my towels. :angry: All that effort down the drain at the last moment. They still taste good, just flatter than they should be....

Thanks,

Joe

i just looked up this place and it was the first one that caught my eye:

baking supplies

i'm sure there are more sources online. they didn't have the liners, but most of them are just some sort of canvas, which i'm sure you could fashion yourself. when i've seen bakers use these bread forms with or without liners, they do tend to flour quite a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

As a chef who has had to make cake pans out of tin foil, use plastic wrap for sink stoppers, wine bottles for rolling pins, etc (I worked for too many cheap bastards) if $$$ is the serious issue, I used plastic chip baskets lined with cheeseloth and flour. The cheesecloth peels right off after you flip it onto the peel.

Melissa McKinney

Chef/Owner Criollo Bakery

mel@criollobakery.com

memck, thanks for the tip. It's not really the money but $75 for a wicker basket and some cloth???? I thought it was a bit extreme. I am going to order some of the others though. I'll shell out $25 a piece for them since I'll use them every weekend.

Joe