• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spamjam

Jinmyo

The menu at Spamjam is definitely one of a kind: There is a Spam hero sandwich, Spam club sandwich, Spam spaghetti, Spam macaroni, Spam potato chowder, bean soup with Spam, Spam Caesar salad, Spam poppers and Spam meals with rice for the Filipino palate.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Everybody sing along!

Vikings: (Singing elaborately...) Spam spam spam spam. Lovely spam! Wonderful spam! Spam spa-a-a-a-a-am spam spa-a-a-a-a-am spam. Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Spam spam spam spam!

You can hone your silly accents and viking dialect here.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Oh wow. :shock:

I am surprised it took them this long to make such an eatery. I know this will do well in the Philippines. And the owners will make lots of $$$ from it. Think about it, meat that requires no refrigeration doesn't go bad. Those Filipinos are crazy. I can't wait until they have a Vienna Sausage restaurant. :raz:

I have also often contemplated the popularity of Spam in the Hawaiian islands as well. I thought I once read a scholarly article pointing out that the popularity of Spam in the Phillipines and in Hawaii was largely a function of WWII when massive amounts of Spam were in the military logistical supply channel and subsequently in the civilian market as well.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

I wrote down that quote by N. Krushchev to use on one the spam-slammin' threads once, but got scared to use it. But considering his hatred for things American, it was remarkable, to say the least:

"We had lost our most fertile, food-bearing land--the Ukraine and the Northern Caucasians. Without SPAM, we wouldn't have been able to feed our army."

Nikita Krushchev (1894-1971).

So what's new. There has been a Spamjam in Austin, Minnesota for years. It's the home of Hormel and it's the town summer festival - cooking and eating Spam, new recipe contests and Spam carving. You can get T shirts and assorted other memorabilia.

So what's new. There has been a Spamjam in Austin, Minnesota for years. It's the home of Hormel and it's the town summer festival - cooking and eating Spam, new recipe contests and Spam carving. You can get T shirts and assorted other memorabilia.

Yes you can.

And Hormel seems to see the humor in this fine meat product.

You can read all about it atspam.com

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Spamjam "the festival" has been in Hawai`i since last year. The "Waikiki Spam Jam" last April featured a 125 foot-long spam musubi among other things (note, the website seems to be temporarily out of commission, but I'm sure it'll be back up as they revamp for this year's extravaganza).

And while there is no "Spamjam" restaurant here, there's no need for one in a place where virtually every local takeout place and even McDonald's serves Spam!

Sun-Ki Chai
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~sunki/

Former Hawaii Forum Host

• 3 weeks later...
The second annual Waikiki Spam Jam is scheduled in Honolulu, Hawaii, on April 23 and 24. Visitors assist with the making, unveiling and eating of the world's longest Spam musubi, or sushi. Organizers hope to break the record of 300 feet, which will take nearly 800 cups of rice, over 1,300 slices of Spam and almost 600 feet of seaweed wrap. The event also features a street festival where Hawaii's most talented chefs will staff food booths serving Spam menu items to more than 30,000 people. - article -

What the article neglected to mention, is that admission is free if you bring in a can of Spam. :laugh:

Spamjam "the festival" has been in Hawai`i since last year. The "Waikiki Spam Jam" last April featured a 125 foot-long spam musubi ...

I think this site is down for good. But you can go here for more info.

You definitely know your spam, yellow truffle!
Some people may take that as an insult, but being a Filipino, I will take it as a compliment. Thank you. :wink:

For your SPAM pleasure...

Following are the winning dishes from last year's SPAM Jam competition in Hawaii.

- 3rd place Mango Papaya Salsa/SPAM and Phyllo Beggars Purse

- 2nd place SPAM Mochi

- 1st place Gratin of SPAM and Roasted Eggplant with vine ripened tomato sauce and balsamic syrup

Following is a select listing of the more creative titles from the National Year 2003 "Best SPAM Recipe" Competition.

- Alaska State Fair (Anchorage, AK) Fresh SPAM Spring Rolls

- Arizona State Fair (Phoenix, AZ) Tuscan-Style Focaccia Wedges with Garlic-Basil Aioli

- Greater Jacksonville Ag Fair (Jacksonville, FL) Aloha SPAM Pinwheels with Pineapple-Kiwi Salsa

- Missouri State Fair (Sedalia, MO) SPAM Surprise

- Nebraska State Fair (Lincoln, NE) SPAM Tropical Appetizers

- New Mexico State Fair (Albuquerque, NM) Smoky SPAM Cheese Ball

- Cuyahoga County Fair (Berea/Clevelenad, OH) Tuscan SPAM Torta

- Oklahoma State Fair (Oklahoma City, OK) Simple and Easy Greecian SPAM Stir-fry

- York Inter-State Fair (York, PA) Toby's SPAM Lo Mein

- South Carolina State Fair (Columbia, SC) Southwestern SPAM Party Bread

- Sioux Empire Fair (Sioux Falls, SD) Curried Rice and SPAM

- Appalachian Fair (Gray, TN) Braised SPAM Florentine

- Mid-South Fair (Memphis, TN) Oriental SPAM Slaw

- State Fair of Texas (Dallas, TX) Pig in a Cloud

- Spokane Interstate Fair (Spokane, WA) SPAMtastic Brunch Braid

These dishes make the Spamjam restaurant in the Philippines look banal.

My little sister moved from North Carolina to Hawaii two years ago. When I told her that McD's served Spam, she thought I was joking and emitted her usual phrase of disbelief: "Nuh-uh". So I got a call from her on her cell phone a week or so after she moved. She was standing in line at McD's. "Jennifer. They really do serve Spam!! And rice! Spam and rice!"

Never doubt the wisdom of your older sister in matters related to Spam.

So, do you have a link to the Spamjam festival in MN? We have a friend who takes his Harley cross country, mostly in search of bizzaro museums. Dude is a Spam fiend. I think his trip is this summer...do you guys have a Spam museum, too? That would make his day.

Gourmet Anarchy

I'm maintaining a SpamBlog in the Hawai`i forum, wherein I've posted some links to stories about last year's Waikiki SpamJam. For those who have a special relationship to the pink queen of canned meats, I'll eventually have a report there about the this year's event, too.

Sun-Ki Chai
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~sunki/

Former Hawaii Forum Host

• 4 weeks later...

Last year as a joke my mother bought me a "Spam" calender, complete with a recipe for each month. February (or March, I forget) had "Spam Cupcakes" as the food of the month. I jokingly told my mother that I was going to make them for her. She took me seriously. I am sad to say that I made them. The cupcakes required grating the block of processed animal parts on a box grater. I now wish that I had worn a glove, as it took 3 washings to get the smell off my hand. It was then mixed with egg, bread crumbs and milk (are you grossed out enough yet?). Following that it was pressed into muffin tins and baked. After a brief stint in the oven I had to waste one of my piping bags to pipe instant (yes instant) mashed potatos in a faux-icing swirl on the top, then back in the oven to brown slightly. Did I mention the brown-sugar/mustard glaze that went on before the taters? It was like a demented, fermented shepard's pie. Nasty. To redeem myself I made Thomas Keller's recipe for Pot Au Feu from "The French Laundry Cookbook" that weekend to restore my faith in myself that I can make real food. And yes my mother ate a cupcake, I couldn't get past the smell.

Shannon

edited for spelling.

Edited by Shannon_Elise (log)

my new blog: http://uninvitedleftovers.blogspot.com

"...but I'm good at being uncomfortable, so I can't stop changing all the time...be kind to me, or treat me mean...I'll make the most of it I'm an extraordinary machine."

-Fiona Apple, Extraordinary Machine