• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Joe's in Venice

Haven't been there. We are having brunch there tomorrow with the son of dear British friends and his wife. The wife selected the place. Good or bad? What to order or not to order? Do I need to dress frou-frou? I hope not or they won't let us in!! :raz:

Thanks for any advice! I'll let you know how it turns out.

Deb

Liberty, MO

We went to Joe's when we were in LA last November and absolutely loved it. Mrs. 'A' had the Crab Hash which she loved (so did I), and I had the Pumpkin Pancakes with Duck Confit and Blackberry Jus that were fantastic, I dream about them all the time. Our friends had a frittata that looked ok, and french toast with quince and vanilla cream that was delicious. I have attached a couple of pictures to hopefully make your mouth water.

i3893.jpg

Carrot Soup Appetizer

i3894.jpg

Pumpkin Pancakes with Duck Confit

i3895.jpg

Crab Hash

i3896.jpg

Frittata on left French Toast on right

Anyway, have a great time and be warned you get a choice of appetizer with your brunch (carrot soup is example) and I recommend not getting the granola as my friend did, he was way too full after that to finish his frittata.

And we weren't disappointed with the food! As nice as the weather was we were a bit disappointed to be seated inside (there were plenty of tables outside that were never filled) where it was overly crowded and we had a screaming youngster behind us--a pet peeve of mine. I blame the adults who kept indulging the child, not the child.

Service and food were wonderful. I was very bad and had chocolate banana french toast with bananas Foster sauce, etc. I could feel my heart valves slamming shut, but enjoyed every bite! I justified it by having a salad first. :biggrin:

Deb

Liberty, MO

I think their tasting menu varies. When we were there last summer I had the tomato menu and it was great. Of course, it's hard to go wrong with fresh tomatoes in August. It even included a tomato dessert but I did have them substitute something else.

So long and thanks for all the fish.