• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

foodie52

Peeps: Marshmallowly Goodness

9 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I've just been down in the chocolate room dipping the feet of some Peeps. Will have to remember to take a picture in the morning.

Since when did peeps have feet....oh, maybe the bunny ones.

Just now, suzilightning said:

Since when did peeps have feet....oh, maybe the bunny ones.

True that - dipping their butts then

9E1D3092-B7DF-420A-BB6F-921A17E23639.thumb.jpeg.207798d8520cd2301141d9eed83ded26.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

I didn't grow up liking Peeps and neither did our daughter.  But Mr. Kim did.  So they were around after Easter.  What we discovered was if you roasted them and then dipped in chocolate fondue (or hot fudge), they can be quite yummy.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

What we discovered was if you roasted them and then dipped in chocolate fondue (or hot fudge), they can be quite yummy.

If you do that this year, please do post some photos.  I would love to see what a roasted peep looks like!

Edited to add that I did Google "Roasted Peeps" but most of them looked skewered and toasted, as one would toast a marshmallow for making s'mores.  Roasting sounds like something that would be done in an oven, rather than a campfire, though I've never seen one, hence my curiosity.

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)

I have never eaten a peep nor do I plan to. However as a science experiment, applying fire might be interesting. Just make sure you have homeowners insurance and good medical insurance in case you burn down your house or breathe the fumes. This is the stuff of great science fair material! Your kid will be a star, even if he or she comes home with no eyebrows. Try roasting the ones that are already chocolate dipped. You will be two thirds of the way to a rainbow s'more.

12 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

If you do that this year, please do post some photos.  I would love to see what a roasted peep looks like!

Edited to add that I did Google "Roasted Peeps" but most of them looked skewered and toasted, as one would toast a marshmallow for making s'mores.  Roasting sounds like something that would be done in an oven, rather than a campfire, though I've never seen one, hence my curiosity.

I should have said toasted.  Skewered and flamed over a candle.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

I have never eaten a peep nor do I plan to. However as a science experiment, applying fire might be interesting. Just make sure you have homeowners insurance and good medical insurance in case you burn down your house or breathe the fumes. This is the stuff of great science fair material! Your kid will be a star, even if he or she comes home with no eyebrows.

I kinda felt the same way about Peeps until I read the ingredients. Sugar, corn syrup, gelatin, a tiny bit (in proportion to the main ingredients) of color, preservative and flavoring. So not much different (as far as the ingredient list is concerned) than a homemade marshmallow if you choose to add color and/or flavor to them. They're not the greatest candy ever sold but there's nothing scary going on in them that would make them a sideshow freak. The fumes would be no different than toasting any other marshmallow.

• Like 1

Used to be a game to put peeps in the microwave at work.  They would "melt" until all that remained were  little black beady eyeballs looking up from a pile of goo.  Yes, we were easy to entertain!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4