• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
foodie52

Peeps: Marshmallowly Goodness

Need a last minute Halloween costume?

Chick magnet

Wear black and attach peeps all over yourself.

(Added bonus: girls 'll be nibblin' on you all night!)

I thought I would bump this back up for the Peep enthusiasts out there.

Christmas Peeps are available now. There are Christmas Tree-shaped Peeps and Snowman (or Snow-person, to be PC) Peeps, as well.

The Christmas Peeps press release

As prime Peep season has once again arrived, I'd like to share these photos of Peep Treets I made a couple of years ago:

gallery_27785_909_551503.jpg

gallery_27785_909_206809.jpg

I'm especially proud of the decapitated Peep head garnish. :wacko::laugh:

Easter is coming up again, and the Peeps are on the shelves. Where they can stay, as far as I am concerned. Sugar coated marshmallow-like substance? Mmm... no. But so many people love them!! What gives?

New this year- individually wrapped, chocolate-covered Peeps!!! Available in milk or dark chocolate! The one I ate had a pink peep inside.

Very good, but I consider myself a Peep traditionalist- regular, yellow chickies. And stale, please. I get them home and immediately put slits in the plastic.

I love their simple, cute form and the crunchy/squishy ratio. And then there's the magnificent sugar high... :raz:

Posted (edited)

As the Easter season approaches, @Kerry Beal and I wanted to pass along some information so you can be alert to the health of the Peeps in your local store. Earlier this evening we visited the Peeps display at Wegmans and found that they are being kept in conditions that are nothing short of alarming. The whole colony was clustered around a cooler, leading some to express their concerns about ambient humidity in a manner that truly puts the “pee” in Peeps:

154E0D16-E3D9-41D6-80D0-B731393CDF62.thumb.jpeg.d628cd0e87ad2f79e69871b8024dbc29.jpeg

Others, overwhelmed with their predicament, have found that their little heads are simply shriveling under the weight of it all:

489C9908-DFEA-4880-9CCA-F54B5547204A.jpeg.14f5fb5bc1dd115e9d49bf23707b7fb7.jpeg

Edited by patris (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 7
  • Sad 1

That is just peeprosterous and must be stopped.

• Haha 5

I am reporting Wegmans to the ASPCP. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Posted (edited)

Serious Eats has an article today about Spring desserts. If you scroll down near the bottom there is a recipe for scratch chocolate "peeps" and a Peeps sushi. Kind of cute.  https://www.seriouseats.com/2018/02/15-weekend-baking-projects-that-are-worth-the-wait.html  Some of the other sweets look pretty interesting to me  especilly the meringu nests with ornge curd :)

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Peeps must be aged before eating. 

Stab the plastic wrapper liberally with a sharp No. 2 pencil.  Set packages in a dark dry place (my office filing cabinet worked best).

They will have the right mouth-bite in two weeks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Sign in to follow this