• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peeps: Marshmallowy Goodness

foodie52

T, we have Peeps in Canada.

pixelchef,

Could you give me a source? I can't seem to find them anywhere in my area. I will be decorating a child's birthday cake soon and would like to use them as part of the decore. Thank you ever so much.

My daughter got an 'Easybake' oven from Santa last year and we made a cake recently that we decorated with a leftover Peep from Easter.

She loves them.

2317/5000

S'Mores! The ultimate demise for a Peep. Tasty, twisted, and fun :rolleyes:

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

I was reminded today of a wonderfully charming speech given several years ago at a friend's rehearsal dinner. His father, from Taiwan, spoke of how he had in his life had "many happy day," but of those "many happy day," this day was surely the happiest. Well, I won't go so far as to say that yesterday was the happiest of my many happy day, but it does rank right up there because I received in the mail yesterday . . .

. . . free Peeps!

Upon opening the carton (yes, carton) of Peeps samples from the Just Born PR department, all doubts I ever had about my decision to become a journalist evaporated. Sure, money can buy you all the Peeps you want. But that's not the same as free peeps. And no matter how much money you have you can't get some of the Peeps I got unless you buy the company, because I got not only the Patriotic Peeps (which you can get in the store now) but also PREVIEW PEEPS! Yes, I have advance samples of the Peeps they'll be selling for Halloween 2003 and Christmas 2003.

I am also now in proud possession of the MOTHER LODE OF PEEP INFORMATION. I have pages and pages of it, and also information (and samples) of Mike & Ike and other goodies made by Just Born. I will be releasing this information bit by bit so as to keep this topic lively for days, weeks, months, years to come!

Ellen Shapiro

www.byellen.com

What's there to say about them???

I'm glad you asked.

For example, I was assuming that with the company being named "Just Born" and making all that Easter stuff and being located in of all places Bethlehem, PA, it must be some kind of Christian fundamentalist thing. But check this out: in the pages and pages of Peeps information, there is a history of the Just Born company. Turns out Born is the founder's last name. This guy, Sam Born, was I'm guessing a European Jewish immigrant, especially given that his brother-in-law and co-founder of Just Born was a guy named Irv Shaffer. So that's one pretty interesting tidbit.

Oh, how did they get to Bethlehem, PA? Well, they actually started the business on the Lower East Side of Manhattan in 1923, but in 1932, with the Depression putting so many factories out of business, they decided to move into a closed-down factory in Bethlehem, PA, where they remain to this day.

And I'm just getting started!

Ellen Shapiro

www.byellen.com

so what will the Halloween peeps look like?

I have some photos from the company but need to make sure we have permission to use them. If so, I'll scan and post them later tonight.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Hate them. But my ex used to sit and eat a couple whole trays at a sitting....with me sitting at his side like this... :blink: And he didn't like sweets that much. Guess he saved up his sugar cravings for a couple days before Easter. It DID him lots of energy--he was 15 years my senior...so.... :raz:

You are not alone, Brenna. Extensive eGullet discussion of Peeps here . . .

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Who else will join me in admitting that they loves peeps? Yes, I know they're marshmallow coated in dyed sugar....but they're so good. I especially like them stale. :biggrin:

Uh-oh. I wish you hadn't said that. I don't have a special Peeps jones (or jones Peeps - isn't that a state park right near here? NO! STOP THAT! Down, girl), though I certainly do like them and can inhale them mindlessly.... But you've just reminded me of an equally seasonal offering that should be on the candy shelves right about now: those vaguely (very vaguely) egg-shaped marshmallows covered with toasted coconut. Oh lordy and here I had forgotten about those for I don't know how long.

Must... go... to... CVS....

I used to like them, but only when very stale--peep jerky, if you will. But I haven't allowed myself to have them in years, so I may have lost my taste for them.

Peep jerky! I love it! Much much better than Jones Peeps. Thank you!

I used to like them, but only when very stale--peep jerky, if you will. But I haven't allowed myself to have them in years, so I may have lost my taste for them.

Peep jerky! I love it! Much much better than Jones Peeps. Thank you!

You're quite welcome! I've called them (the way I eat them) that for years and everyone always knows exactly what I mean. :cool:

Deb

Liberty, MO

I love peeps. Even though I know better, the yellow ones still taste better than the other colors.

And leftover peeps make really good rice krispie squares. Just substitute them for the regular marshmallows.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Peeps can sit right there in front of me, all day, and I can ignore them. Doesn't matter what color or shape.

Until ----- I have one! Then the whole box disappears. I like them soft - really soft so that I can squish them to the roof of my mouth where you can hear and feel the squish!

Peeps are very cool, especially if they've been aged a couple of days. Much more than that and they are doorstops and not worth the eating.

I did just discover how wonderful peeps are if they've been salted. Specifically if they've been rolled in a can of peanuts. A perfect sweet/salt snack.

Anybody ever have the courage to try the gingerbread men things Just Born puts out at Christmas? Marshmallow-gingerbread, I'm just not sure?

For what it's worth, Peeps make excellent refrigerator magnets. After extensive experimentation, I found that two-part epoxy will cement a magnetic strip onto the back of a Peep. (Don't even think about trying Elmer's or superglue. Two-part epoxy is the only way to go.)

They last forever.

I've posted them all over the office, and now people think I have a Peep fetish. Mostly, I like gluing stuff.

amanda

Googlista