• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peeps: Marshmallowy Goodness

foodie52

I was making a left hand turn into my office park when I see this tour bus with a big yellow blob headed my way. I had to see what it was, the cars int he lane behind me were honking, but I didn't care. Then it passed, it was the Peepmobile, or the Peepbus--it was decorated with picture all types of Peeps and then the lovely big ass yellow peep on top! It made my day, only the Weiner mobile might make me smile more.

i have this sick peep thing where i eat them with a diet coke. something about the extra carbonaiton in diet coke and the sugar! Of course, I didn't grow up celebrating easter (well we did for a couple of years until it was decided we couldn't celebrate every holiday) so there is the extra special *bad* element in there.

-----------------

AMUSE ME

• 4 weeks later...

Mmmm...Just here to refresh the topic and bring it to its rightful place on the board...

Took a Peep today ( purple bunny ) and cut a slit in it and stuffed a nice piece of Belgian chocolate in the center. A quick microwave flash and it was ready to eat. Yummy between two graham crackers.

Hi all,

A writer at my paper, The Journal News in Westchester, NY, is working on a story about Peeps. It's the 50th anniversary of their introduction, if you can believe it. :shock:

Anyway, she'd love to talk to anyone who is willing about their obessions, off-beat ways to eat or use peeps (Lord of the Peeps! Ha!) and anything else.

She's not a member, so if you'd like to talk to her, PM me or e-mail me and I'll pass it along. She'll be starting work on it next week. Should be a really fun story.

Liz

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Food Editor, The Journal News and LoHud.com

Westchester, Rockland and Putnam: The Lower Hudson Valley.

Small Bites, a LoHud culinary blog

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

A peep is a marshmallow shaped like a baby chick and coated in colored sugar. I'm sure there's a link above with pictures. It is a seasonal candy put out to sell for Easter.

No takers? Too embarrased?

I think it's probably that people expect journalists to post themselves if they are looking for article fodder. Also, they would probably prefer to post their replies rather than do so off line where their posts would only be read by a few to one.

Ask them to sign up. :smile:

KateW, my brother is a peep freak.  He microwaves them as you do then places a few M&Ms in the middle and folds it over to form a taco of sorts.  After it cools the peep is hard and crunchy with a nice mild burnt sugar taste and the chocolate is oozing out.  Very good.  He also likes them when they get stale or hard.

OOO that sounds good! Gonna have to get some peeps soon...and m&m's...

T, we have Peeps in Canada.

pixelchef,

Could you give me a source? I can't seem to find them anywhere in my area. I will be decorating a child's birthday cake soon and would like to use them as part of the decore. Thank you ever so much.

T, we have Peeps in Canada.

pixelchef,

Could you give me a source? I can't seem to find them anywhere in my area. I will be decorating a child's birthday cake soon and would like to use them as part of the decore. Thank you ever so much.

Tajanna, google peeps and just born, it should give you the company's site, and you can find out where they're available in your area. They also probably have an 800 number. They're usually available in supermarkets and drug store chains here.

I just noticed today, they have peeps chicks, ( yellow and lavander) and bunnies( blue and yellow) and eggs ( blue and darker purple) . Also, there are orange pumpkins and gren xmas trees here in jersey...in season of course.

Edited by Kim WB (log)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just in time for Independence Day:

patriotpeep.jpg

New Patriotic Peeps Chick. (PRNewsFoto)

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)