• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peeps: Marshmallowy Goodness

foodie52

9 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I've just been down in the chocolate room dipping the feet of some Peeps. Will have to remember to take a picture in the morning.

Since when did peeps have feet....oh, maybe the bunny ones.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

5 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

What we discovered was if you roasted them and then dipped in chocolate fondue (or hot fudge), they can be quite yummy.

If you do that this year, please do post some photos.  I would love to see what a roasted peep looks like!

Edited to add that I did Google "Roasted Peeps" but most of them looked skewered and toasted, as one would toast a marshmallow for making s'mores.  Roasting sounds like something that would be done in an oven, rather than a campfire, though I've never seen one, hence my curiosity.

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)

I have never eaten a peep nor do I plan to. However as a science experiment, applying fire might be interesting. Just make sure you have homeowners insurance and good medical insurance in case you burn down your house or breathe the fumes. This is the stuff of great science fair material! Your kid will be a star, even if he or she comes home with no eyebrows. Try roasting the ones that are already chocolate dipped. You will be two thirds of the way to a rainbow s'more.

12 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

If you do that this year, please do post some photos.  I would love to see what a roasted peep looks like!

Edited to add that I did Google "Roasted Peeps" but most of them looked skewered and toasted, as one would toast a marshmallow for making s'mores.  Roasting sounds like something that would be done in an oven, rather than a campfire, though I've never seen one, hence my curiosity.

I should have said toasted.  Skewered and flamed over a candle.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

I have never eaten a peep nor do I plan to. However as a science experiment, applying fire might be interesting. Just make sure you have homeowners insurance and good medical insurance in case you burn down your house or breathe the fumes. This is the stuff of great science fair material! Your kid will be a star, even if he or she comes home with no eyebrows.

I kinda felt the same way about Peeps until I read the ingredients. Sugar, corn syrup, gelatin, a tiny bit (in proportion to the main ingredients) of color, preservative and flavoring. So not much different (as far as the ingredient list is concerned) than a homemade marshmallow if you choose to add color and/or flavor to them. They're not the greatest candy ever sold but there's nothing scary going on in them that would make them a sideshow freak. The fumes would be no different than toasting any other marshmallow.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Used to be a game to put peeps in the microwave at work.  They would "melt" until all that remained were  little black beady eyeballs looking up from a pile of goo.  Yes, we were easy to entertain!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

• 2 weeks later...
On Saturday, March 16, 2019 at 11:57 AM, IowaDee said:

Used to be a game to put peeps in the micrdioramat work.  They would "melt" until all that remained were  little black beady eyeballs looking up from a pile of goo.  Yes, we were easy to entertain!

Peep Wars! The joys of having a son who loves Peeps :-)

I was sad to see Wapo discontinue theirannual Peep Show - I loved seeing all the entrants - the creativity was fantastic! - happy to see Wash City Paper decided to continue on with the tradition - the time & detail everyone put into their Peep dioaramas is incredible - I just love it! 

Wash City Paper 2018 Peep Dioramas

I have an EpiPen ... my friend gave it to me when he was dying ... it seemed very important to him that I have it ... 

• 11 months later...

Jimminy Christmas......

I can't believe I never posted my peeps story.

A friend of mine, Bonnie, had never heard of friends being called peeps(she was in her late 60's at the time close to 15 years ago).  So after Easter one year I picked up a box of peeps, stuck toothpicks in them and labeled them with all of our ladies names and she then had her peeps she could take with her.

• Haha 5

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 11 months later...

"Peeps released an Easter Cookie Coop Kit, and it looks adorable"

Peeps has released a kit that you can use to make a cookie chicken coop. Instead of gingerbread tiles, it has sugar cookies, because apparently gingerbread outside of winter is also culinarily illegal somehow.

And when you eat all of your Peeps, you can eat the coop thus removing all evidence that the Peeps existed. xD

• Haha 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 4 weeks later...

Posting this here since it's Peeps-related:

"Pepsi's newest flavor has Peeps in it"

Pepsi and Peeps are collaborating on a new drink that combines the two extra-sweet flavors, the companies announced Thursday. The new cola, dubbed "Pepsi x Peeps," mixes the taste of a Pepsi with the "pillowy-soft and sweet" marshmallow flavor of Peeps. That makes it the "ideal accessory and thirst quencher for springtime," according to the companies.
...However, Peeps fans might be disappointed they can't buy the new flavor.

Just thinking about the overly sweet combination of Peeps and Pepsi sets my teeth on edge.xD

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Tim Oliver

I read another article about this soda-Peeps cross being called "Peepsi". xD

• Haha 4

Tim Oliver

26 minutes ago, MokaPot said:

I might have to try Peeps this year ... stale Peeps. (I heard stale Peeps were the best way to eat them.)

I find the best way to eat Peeps is to give them to someone else. :B

1 hour ago, dcarch said:

My latest breakfast.

Double espresso latte with double root beer peeps swimming in it.

dcarch

1217440678_Peepsespresso.thumb.JPG.b78976bbc433b963fb8a289be6a268cc.JPG

Photos of the Root Beer Peeps must not do it justice...they look like something a cat left in the litterbox.xD

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Tim Oliver

On 3/25/2021 at 11:36 AM, Toliver said:

Posting this here since it's Peeps-related:

"Pepsi's newest flavor has Peeps in it"

Just thinking about the overly sweet combination of Peeps and Pepsi sets my teeth on edge.xD

I guarantee that if you put a  bunch of 3 year olds in a room with a dozen different bottles of over sweetened soft drinks and a dozen of the worst kinds of candy you can think of they will come up with several drink mixes that are at least as good-- or as terrifying-- as Peepsi. The post-pandemic world is off to a rocky start.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Available beginning April 1.

April fool!

I know you know. But I read it first and thought  “they’ve got to be kidding” before I realized it was an April fools joke.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

39 minutes ago, Anna N said:

April fool!

I know you know. But I read it first and thought  “they’ve got to be kidding” before I realized it was an April fools joke.

I know. I was going to look for an April Fool's thread but it just made such a good fit here with the Peeps Pepsi and root beer Peeps 🙃

• Like 5

• 5 months later...

Halloween Peeps! (click) (eG-friendly Amazon.com link):

Peeps Halloween Marshmallow Bundle...

Packs of 3 Sugar Skulls, Monsters, Pumpkins, Ghosts, and Cats, Pack of 5

Not a Peeps fan myself...just posting this for those who do enjoy the chewy sugar bombs.:B

Tim Oliver

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

In case you wondered….A Visit to the Peeps Factory (gift link to NYT article with some great photos)

That's fascinating! Thank you!

I got a laugh out of this bit:

Even the “whoops” moments that occasionally happen when the candymakers are testing new products seem like fun: “We have an engineer who is known for pushing buttons he’s not supposed to,” says Daniel Moyer, a food scientist at Just Born Quality Confections, the company that makes Peeps. “Sometimes he ends up completely covered in marshmallow.”

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown