• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peeps: Marshmallowy Goodness

foodie52

• 1 month later...

I thought I would bump this back up for the Peep enthusiasts out there.

Christmas Peeps are available now. There are Christmas Tree-shaped Peeps and Snowman (or Snow-person, to be PC) Peeps, as well.

The Christmas Peeps press release

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...

New this year- individually wrapped, chocolate-covered Peeps!!! Available in milk or dark chocolate! The one I ate had a pink peep inside.

Very good, but I consider myself a Peep traditionalist- regular, yellow chickies. And stale, please. I get them home and immediately put slits in the plastic.

I love their simple, cute form and the crunchy/squishy ratio. And then there's the magnificent sugar high... :raz:

You say I am mysterious. Let me explain myself. In a land of oranges, I am faithful to apples. ~ Elsa Gidlow

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

As the Easter season approaches, @Kerry Beal and I wanted to pass along some information so you can be alert to the health of the Peeps in your local store. Earlier this evening we visited the Peeps display at Wegmans and found that they are being kept in conditions that are nothing short of alarming. The whole colony was clustered around a cooler, leading some to express their concerns about ambient humidity in a manner that truly puts the “pee” in Peeps:

154E0D16-E3D9-41D6-80D0-B731393CDF62.thumb.jpeg.d628cd0e87ad2f79e69871b8024dbc29.jpeg

Others, overwhelmed with their predicament, have found that their little heads are simply shriveling under the weight of it all:

489C9908-DFEA-4880-9CCA-F54B5547204A.jpeg.14f5fb5bc1dd115e9d49bf23707b7fb7.jpeg

Edited by patris (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 7
  • Sad 2

Patty

I am reporting Wegmans to the ASPCP. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Serious Eats has an article today about Spring desserts. If you scroll down near the bottom there is a recipe for scratch chocolate "peeps" and a Peeps sushi. Kind of cute.  https://www.seriouseats.com/2018/02/15-weekend-baking-projects-that-are-worth-the-wait.html  Some of the other sweets look pretty interesting to me  especilly the meringu nests with ornge curd :)

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Peeps must be aged before eating. 

Stab the plastic wrapper liberally with a sharp No. 2 pencil.  Set packages in a dark dry place (my office filing cabinet worked best).

They will have the right mouth-bite in two weeks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 9 months later...

"Peeps-flavored coffee creamer does, in fact, taste like Peeps"

We tried the Easter treat and can confirm that it tastes like Peeps. If you like the taste of Peeps, you will like this. If you do not — or if you enjoy the taste of coffee in any way — you will hate it. And while the pastel yellow color isn't what we'd call "appetizing," it is technically appropriate for the Easter season.

Said one staffer: "This tastes like a vanilla candle smells."

Plus, there's a link at the end of the article for "Reese's Peanut Butter Cup" creamer.

Life just can't get any better than this. O.o :laugh:

• Haha 3

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I was impressed that they dropped a 400 pound Peep for New Years, even though I don't celebrate holidays myself.  How can one not love a 400 pound (28.57 stone) Peep?

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

56 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Peeps are right up down there with candy corn. 

You'll never make a successful horror film out of a 400 pound piece of candy corn.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

11 hours ago, gfweb said:

Hey, now. I love candy corn. Did you know you can make fudge with it?

• Sad 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

20 hours ago, gfweb said:

I would have stayed in the marshmallow realm and went with Circus Peanuts instead of candy corn... candy corn is a food of the gods compared to the abomination that is Circus Peanuts. I'm not a Peep fan but I'd eat one every day for a month to avoid eating one Circus Peanut.

• Like 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 2 months later...
On Saturday, January 12, 2019 at 9:04 AM, kayb said:

Hey, now. I love candy corn. Did you know you can make fudge with it?

I have also seen several recipes where candy corn in that secret ingredient in making homemade Pay Day candy bars! 

Has anyone tried the news Peeps Beans? I think they come in 3 flavors.

I buy a couple of packages for my son every holiday ~ he loves them  best stale stale stale. Doesn't matter how old he is - he always comes by and picks up his Peeps lol (I tell myself it's to see mom & Dad, but who am I kidding - I lure that kid with Peeps ;o) )  

• Like 3

I have an EpiPen ... my friend gave it to me when he was dying ... it seemed very important to him that I have it ... 

New flavors of Peeps coming this Easter.

https://www.wthr.com/article/peeps-debuts-new-flavors-just-time-easter

The new flavors include cotton candy, pancakes & syrup, orange sherbet dipped in crème flavored fudge, root beer float, vanilla crème, chocolate caramel swirl and blue raspberry.

However, some of the flavors are exclusive to specific stores. Root beer float can only be found at Kroger, blue raspberry is only at Walmart and Vanilla Crème and Chocolate Caramel Swirl are exclusive to Target.

• Like 1