• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peeps: Marshmallowy Goodness

foodie52

It's almost that time of year again, when marshmallow peeps make their appearance. The only thing I know how to do to them is to bite off their heads one by one and then eat the bodies. What else could you do with a Peep?

How about a Peep Show?

ummmmm, Peeps. I like Peeps. In my home, we treat Peeps sort of like exhibits in a museum--Peeps are kept from one year to the next marking the passage of time. "These were the Peeps from the year that Michael graduated from the Academy" or "these are the Peeps from the year that grandma died."

Ellen Shapiro

www.byellen.com

This is exactly the sort of thing we all should be doing in preparation for unexpected annihilation of our civilization or other relevant catastrophe. How else will alien archaeologists, thousands or millions of years in the future, make sense of our culture? We need to leave clues like this every day.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I bought some Peeps last year with the intent of making a sort of Easter Peep Torte for my 4 year old niece. I never did get around to it, but my plan was:

Almond sucre tarte base - blind baked

Filled with a layer of hazelnut cream, topped with a silky dark chocolate ganache filling then a ring of peeps around the top so each wedge cut would have a cute marshmellow Peep. Now I am rethinking my plan and this easter I will do it with bananas, ganache and purple marshmellow Peeps. I am absolutely certain this will be the absolute best ever use of Peeps which otherwise seem inedible.

It seems to me that your grasp of the relationship between the concept of inedibility and the potential for great cuisine is fully as sophisticated as that of the brothers Adria. Thank you for bringing this recipe to the attention of the world and please take photos.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I had a friend who's wife worked opposite shift from him. They would often communicate with notes and little displays on the kitchen counter. Upon getting a message he wasn't all that fond of, he replied by leaving a little troop of his wife's Peeps on the counter. Each had been subject to a little more time in the microwave. He was quite pleased with the effect.

This is kind of obvious, but for the cake roulette at my son's elementary school Mayfair I made a blue frosted layer cake and arranged the pink peeps to swim in an eternal circle around the top edge. It was beautiful and serene, and was snapped up by the next second grader who won. High praise indeed!

Almond sucre tarte base - blind baked

Filled with a layer of hazelnut cream, topped with a silky dark chocolate ganache filling then a ring of peeps around the top so each wedge cut would have a cute marshmellow Peep.

Those must be the most elite Peeps around, lucky little suckers....getting to sit on the edge of a pietart filled with ganache..........makes me want to be a peep for a day :wink:

Night, your pictures are hilarious!

"If we don't find anything pleasant at least we shall find something new." Voltaire

KateW, my brother is a peep freak. He microwaves them as you do then places a few M&Ms in the middle and folds it over to form a taco of sorts. After it cools the peep is hard and crunchy with a nice mild burnt sugar taste and the chocolate is oozing out. Very good. He also likes them when they get stale or hard.