• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

100% pureed lunch

Margaret Pilgrim

I am giving a small lunch at which one guest (literallly) can swallow only completely pureed food. Rather than serve him a separate menu, I would prefer that we all enjoy the same dishes. In the late fall, I served gaspacho, cheese souffle and homemade ice cream with liquor dribble. It was a roaring success. This time I am thinking of a wild mushroom cappucino, perhaps another flavor souffle, and another ice cream.

I would like help on the middle course. Interesting and substantial souffle flavors? Non souffle, non soup alternatives? Suggestions? Help please!

Many thanks.

eGullet member #80.

Cream of asparagus soup with roasted cashews.

Normally served with whole cashews and asparagus tips as a garnish, leave off the garnish, this would make a nice soup for the guest.

Just take any good COA recipe, make that, toast a good amount of cashews, add them in and blend.

Delicious.

A nice uncooled/molded polenta with a sauce might work well.

Maybe a little marinara and parmesan, or a cream sauce.

How about some yukon gold mashed potatoes with a little sour cream?

I could make a meal out of that alone.

A little google search is revealing, try some other search terms as well:

Google search- Pureee dishes

Not to be confused with egullet veteran Ms. Ramsey

Webmaster, rivitman's daily axe:

My Webpage

Normally served with whole cashews and asparagus tips as a garnish, leave off the garnish, this would make a nice soup for the guest.

Just take any good COA recipe, make that, toast a good amount of cashews, add them in and blend.

Delicious.

Yum! That sounds great. I've got asparagus and was planning to make soup this weekend--I'll try it with the cashews! Got a favorite COA recipe you'd like to share? I was planning to wing it as usual. :wacko:

Deb

Liberty, MO

I'm wondering if one could make a decent shepherd's pie/parmentier dish with a layer of pureed meat, almost a sauce perhaps and a layer of mashed potatoes. All gratineed, of course. I suppose it could taste like baby food.

If Ice cream is acceptable, would custard, flan or creme brulee also be acceptable? If so, to move back one course, one could serve a vegetable timbale that's basically no more than a savory custard incorporating a puree of vegetable (spinach, peas, onion, mushroom, fennel, etc.) and perhaps a tomato sauce or mornay sauce.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

How about a savory custard? I have a couple of recipes for onion custards (haven't tried either one, but they sound good). I'd think they'd be good with a roasted red pepper puree.

How about chawanmushi (Japanese steamed custard)?

Just mix dashi (kombu and bonito stock) with eggs, strain, and steam on medium for about 6 to 8 minutes in individual cups or bowls. Or use a shrimp or lobster stock.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Normally served with whole cashews and asparagus tips as a garnish, leave off the garnish,  this would make a nice soup for the guest.

Delicious.

Yum! That sounds great. I've got asparagus and was planning to make soup this weekend--I'll try it with the cashews! Got a favorite COA recipe you'd like to share? I was planning to wing it as usual. :wacko:

Just start with some good chicken stock. Chop your asparagus and toss that in. Use your choice of seasonings, I like just a little thyme in mine. Simmer it until the asparagus is well done.

Add some heavy cream to your liking, and thicken with slurry or white roux. Add the toasted cashews and blend well.

I can't give you a ratio, when I make this soup, it's all by eye.

The soup should be a light pea green.

I prefer not to strain it. I think it has better body and flavor. But you have to blend it well, so no stringyness occurs from the fibres in the asparagus.

Check the seasoning and adjust, Salt and white pepper to taste.

I like to finish it with a little butter.

For those without swallowing difficulty, you can add some whole toasted cashews and asparagus tips as a garnish.

Not to be confused with egullet veteran Ms. Ramsey

Webmaster, rivitman's daily axe:

My Webpage

Great ideas all. You have me leaning toward a savory custard. Maybe artichoke. I really like the idea of a trilogy of small (3 oz.) custards, maybe leek, artichoke or asparagus and maybe something like scallop. Maybe tomato sauce surround, mornay drizzle. It would be pretty, but plating would be a little tedious. I thought the different tastes might help alleviate the sameness of texture. Criticisms?

I may print out these good and diverse suggestions for his wife, who faces this dilemna every day. Many, many thanks for your help. And do post any other ideas that come to mind. Thanks.

eGullet member #80.

Or a rice pudding for dessert, with a little freshly grated nutmeg.

I love that there's a Non-Chew Cookbook! What enlightened times we live in! Toothless or dysphagic, yet with an expectation of being gastronomicly engaged! How humane!

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

Normally served with whole cashews and asparagus tips as a garnish, leave off the garnish,  this would make a nice soup for the guest.

Delicious.

Just start with some good chicken stock. Chop your asparagus and toss that in. Use your choice of seasonings, I like just a little thyme in mine. Simmer it until the asparagus is well done.

Add some heavy cream to your liking, and thicken with slurry or white roux. Add the toasted cashews and blend well.

I can't give you a ratio, when I make this soup, it's all by eye.

The soup should be a light pea green.

I prefer not to strain it. I think it has better body and flavor. But you have to blend it well, so no stringyness occurs from the fibres in the asparagus.

Check the seasoning and adjust, Salt and white pepper to taste.

I like to finish it with a little butter.

For those without swallowing difficulty, you can add some whole toasted cashews and asparagus tips as a garnish.

Thanks! I've got it on already and much the same, except I used dill instead of thyme and a splash of soy sauce. Haven't added the cashews yet, but can't wait to try it!

Edited to say/ask: I used potato starch as a thickener. Is potato starch the same as potato flour? My inquiring mind wants to know! :blink:

Edited by Maison Rustique (log)

Deb

Liberty, MO

Your query brings back a memory from my past. Over twenty years ago, before I left New Mexico for Georgia, a fellow in the same Dale Carnegie class with me told a story about an accident he had had.

He was heading east toward the continental divide on his motorcycle about dusk. A deer jumped out in front of him and he swerved. This took him off the road and through a fence. A strand of barbed wire played havoc with his jaw. As a result, his mouth was wired shut for eighteen months.

The same food day after day was getting quite monotonous, and he had a craving for a green chile cheeseburger. Nothing ventured, nothing gained - so he went to Blake's Lot-A-Burger and ordered said green chile cheeseburger, put it in a blender and enjoyed the best meal he had had in quite some time.

With the efforts you are making, I am confident your guest will be pleased with whatever you provide.