• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Campbell's vs. Progresso

SobaAddict70

No one has mentioned the secret, magic ingredient to add to Campbell's cream of tomato soup: a pat of butter in the middle.

Mark:

When I was a kid, someone told me that the pat of butter is what turned common Cream of Tomato soup into Tomato Bisque. That definition has really stuck with me for quite some time. While I'm still not certain of the boundaries of the bisque definition in true "cuisine", but I'll always think of it that way as far as Campbell's Tomato soup.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I hate those commercials!!! I hope I never grow up if that's what it's like.

I'm firmly on the Campbell's side. Chunky is not what I want in a canned soup. Never tried Campbell's Chunky & hopefully never will. The Progresso soups I've been forced to try are disgusting. All the chunks have the same bitter, chemical flavor and there is a sharp aftertaste that lingers for hours. Ugh.

I admit to enjoying both Chicken Noodle and Chicken & Stars, but I rarely buy them. Chicken Noodle is just so strangely soothing. When I feel bad enough to have something like that, I want just that blandness--not nasty chunks of onion & celery. Bean with Bacon is one of my ultimate comfort foods.

Grilled cheese & Campbell's Tomato Soup is an ongoing tradition--I serve it at least once every six weeks for Saturday lunch, Sunday supper, or a bare-cupboard weekday dinner. I make it with mostly water & just a 1/4 cup or so of milk--I swear they changed the formula at some point because it comes out so much lighter than it used to if you use all milk. I add cracked pepper & celery seeds, sometimes a dash of onion powder.

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA

Grilled cheese & Campbell's Tomato Soup is an ongoing tradition--I serve it at least once every six weeks for Saturday lunch, Sunday supper, or a bare-cupboard weekday dinner. I make it with mostly water & just a 1/4 cup or so of milk--I swear they changed the formula at some point because it comes out so much lighter than it used to if you use all milk.

I'm quite sure you're right that they've changed the formula. It just doesn't taste the same, nor does the consistency seem to be what it used to be. I have a strong suspiscion that there's corn syrup involved. I'd have to check the ingredients.

In fact, sometimes, there's really nothing better than a bowl of Campbell's cream of tomato with croutons, along with a grilled cheese sandwich on a cold winter's day.

Hear hear.... that really is such a good simple meal on the cold days - especially when the outer parts opf the sandwich have a bit of a char on them that contrasts nicely with the soup. extra sharp cheddar (4X is available here if you hunt for it) is imperative.

I have not tried the Campbell's "ready to serve" soups but end up getting "store brand" on sale for emergencies and those lazy days when I've worked long hours and don't feel up to cooking a real dinner for one. My gripe on the Progresso soups is a certain sameness... a bit akin to the way much urban contemporary music sounds to me these days... regardless of the soup variety (or artist), there is an overall characteristic that keeps it from seeming truly unique and markedly distinct from the other flavors. I think I need to make some homemade soup and put the Aretha box set on the CD changer now.

Campbells did make a tomato bisque....http://www.netgrocer.com/detail.cfm?oid=23445&smallFrm=yes Not sure where or if it's stll available. And they did change the forumula on the regular tomato some years back. I don't remember the reason, but I do remember all of us noticing it wasn't as "tomatoey." :sad:

I'm quite sure you're right that they've changed the formula. It just doesn't taste the same, nor does the consistency seem to be what it used to be. I have a strong suspiscion that there's corn syrup involved. I'd have to check the ingredients.

You are dead-on correct. I checked the ingredient list on my can of Campbell's Condensed Tomato Soup and high fructose corn syrup is right there. :angry:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

In fact, sometimes, there's really nothing better than a bowl of Campbell's cream of tomato with croutons, along with a grilled cheese sandwich on a cold winter's day.

better still...... toss a little grated cheddar and a handful of cheese flavored Goldfish crackers and go fishing!!!

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.

You are dead-on correct. I checked the ingredient list on my can of Campbell's Condensed Tomato Soup and high fructose corn syrup is right there. :angry:

I checked, too. In addition to the HFCS, it also contains wheat flour. Not something I'd be quick to think of adding to my tomato soup, but it sure does thicken it up nice. :hmmm:

Campbell's used to make an "Oriental" vegetable/noodle "Select" soup. It was really good when doctored up with garlic/chili paste, soy sauce & vinegar. I noticed at my grocery store they were "Discontinued For Quick Sale," so I bought just about every damn can. I now have maybe 10 cans in my pantry. I'm hoarding them since I can't find it anywhere. :shock:

I agree with Soba. Campbell's "Wonton" soup - WHY????

I think Progresso soups have too many carrots. :angry:

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

I checked the ingredient list on my can of Campbell's Condensed Tomato Soup and high fructose corn syrup is right there. 

I too noticed a change but hadn't thought to check the label. How disgusting is that... HFCS in soup? Bad enough that they routinely use it soft drinks, snack foods and commercial candy. This time they've gone too far. How tough woudl it be to make a concentrate at home for freezing or canning that coud be used to produce a nice cream of tomato soup. Any ideas?

I stock up on six-packs of Progresso soups at BJ's. It is such a quick and easy lunch on the weekends when we want something hot and fast. I admit to liking salty things, so I don't notice or mind the saltiness most of you have cited. I tried Campbell's chunky chicken gumbo because it was on sale and I had coupons! It has a nice little kick of spice to it. Take it for what it is - canned soup! It has it's place in everyone's cupboard.

KathyM

better still...... toss a little grated cheddar and a handful of cheese flavored Goldfish crackers and go fishing!!!

Campbell's now makes a chicken based GOLDFISH soup. I think the goldfish are fish shaped noodles rather than the Pepperide Farm crackers but they are going to fool a lot of people out there!

the only tomato soup that's worth eating is Heinz tomato soup, really hard to find though. I use it in cabbage rolls and manicotti etc. And even eat it once in a while as soup. Others are all crap as far as I'm concerned. I don't eat any other canned soup. I once read an article about fifteen years ago or more ( I don't remember really) in a consumers report magazine at the doctors office about the parts per million of mouse droppings and mouse hairs, and fly parts etc that are acceptable in canned soup. That was it for me. My family eats canned soup though. But they're just too lazy to make something else probably.

"Coincidence?...or NOT???" on the whole Campbell's/Goldfish alliance.

Nope, no coincidence. Peppridge Farm is a subsidiary of Campbell's and, as any fish-snacker knows, Goldfish are made by Peppridge Farm.

Here's a link to a site that lists whether a brand uses genetically engineered ingredients. It illustrates how few stand-alone brands there really are.

http://www.truefoodnow.org/shoppersguide/g..._printable.html

Calvin Trillin made what he probably thought was a joke in the early 70's about vertical integration in the food industry, painting a picture he called One Big Kitchen. Hmmmm....

My fantasy? Easy -- the Simpsons versus the Flanders on Hell's Kitchen.

I haven't had a bowl of either Progresso or Campbell's soup for a while.  Is GG Mora right?  Does anyone else agree that Progresso's soups don't taste like they used to?  I don't really care if they're better or worse.  I'm just amazed that either Progresso or Campbell's soups might have changed.  I think of these products as being like... Heinz ketchup, tabasco sauce, or Coca-Cola (now that one's changed over the years, but you get the point).

I can't tell you all the ways Progresso soup has changed - but the salt content has increased dramatically in recent years - from about 30% DV to over 40% (my husband has high blood pressure so we read salt labels). I keep a couple of cans of Campbell's Chicken Noodle in the pantry in case I'm sick and can't get solid food down - or am suffering from dehydration and need a salt infusion.

Note that if the government passes the new proposed salt DV - one serving of most canned soups will have 60-100% of the DV. Robyn

Edited by robyn (log)

Here's a link to a site that lists whether a brand uses genetically engineered ingredients.

How utterly demoralizing........ but I really *like* Goldfish crackers....... I wonder what alterations were made, and ponder as to whether glowing in the dark is really a *totally* negative attribute

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.

Random tidbits, all IMHO:

I don't generally eat canned soup, except while ill or unsurpassedly lazy. I don't have any on hand at the moment, but I have lots of chicken stock (and some pho broth) in the freezer.

Campbells condensed is uniformly awful, unless you happen to like colorful, extremely salty water. I don't eat their cream-of- stuff at all, so I have no opinion of those.

Campbells chunky soups are a comfort food when I'm sick; even the sirloin burger. They're a cheap, nearly effortless source of almost-palatable calories. I always add something else to them though.

I tried the Campbells jarred non-condensed soups (Home Cookin'??) when they were introduced - they seemed better than the condensed stuff, but didn't make enough of an impression to make me want to buy them again.

Progresso is still much better than Campbells condensed soups. I used to use their tomato soups as a base for a better soup (w/ added meat and veg), but haven't done so lately.

I always add something to canned soup. Maybe just fresh-ground black pepper, but usually some dried (or fresh) herbs appropriate to the soup to, er, kick it up a notch. Almost always some red pepper flakes and/or Tabasco to add some needed flavor. Often some chopped parsley from the garden as a garnish.

Progresso Manhattan clam chowder is good, but rarely seems to be available locally. (Their NE chowder is passable, but (again, IMHO) I consider it a heart attack in a can due to the partially-hydrogenated gunk in it). To make the Manhattan clam chowder better, add a can of chopped clams (we're already doing canned stuff here, so no point in adding real clams) with some of the liquid, some red pepper flakes, black pepper, and chopped fresh parsley if it's at hand. The canned clams are probably comparable in price to the can of soup, but adds some more protein, if not taste.

I tried the Wolfgang Puck Manhattan clam chowder once; it didn't make much of an impression, good or bad. There's a price premium for it, but I'm already making Progresso soup more expensive by adding extra clams. I don't see that the Puck soups have anything that a suitably enhanced Progresso soup doesn't also have, if you want canned soup.

when your sick you should have chicken BROTH not chicken noodle. Chicken broth, clear apple juice and jello, that's it.

If the soup didn't have noodles - I'd starve :wink: . Chicken broth, clear apple juice and jello sounds like a colonoscopy prep diet :biggrin: . Robyn

I think Progresso soups have too many carrots.

You can NEVER have too many carrots.

BB

Yah think? I don't have any use for carrots. To me they are just cheapo vegetables; filler in canned soups. Like too much baker fern in a flower arrangement, I pluck 'em out. Especially in prepared soups. I stand over the trash can..pluck...plop...pluck...plop. And I eschew them as a side dish (bleh..so boring!) and leave them to the bunnies.

when your sick you should have chicken BROTH not chicken noodle. Chicken broth, clear apple juice and jello, that's it.

Depends on what you're sick from doesn't it? Perhaps only liquids are good for some things....but I can't imagine why one would need to be so restrictive. Pasta is easily digestable, no? I hate jello...so I'd surely not be able to stomach that! Unless it's made up of my tomato aspic. That'd be good. :wink:

Edited by Pickles (log)

SO came home and had Campbell's New England Clam Chowder tonight, and so I read the label. Here goes: clam broth, potatoes, clam meat, water, wheat flour, modified food starch, contains less than 2% of the following ingredients:vegetable oil (corn, cottonseed, canola and/or soybean), salt, monosodium glutamate, yeast extract, sodium phosphate,spice extract,flavoring, clam extract powder (clam meat, salt,sugar,soy sauce[soybeans,wheat,salt]),succinic acid.

Boy, that's just like mom used to make!

Yah think? I don't have any use for carrots. To me they are just cheapo vegetables; filler in canned soups. Like too much baker fern in a flower arrangement, I pluck 'em out. Especially in prepared soups. I stand over the trash can..pluck...plop...pluck...plop. And I eschew them as a side dish (bleh..so boring!) and leave them to the bunnies.

Well!!

BB

Food is all about history and geography.