• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout

Jason Perlow

Last night I bought a 4-pack of Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout at a NJ liquor store... this stuff is as black as tar and is unbeleivably smooth and satisfying. Strong coffee and raisiny flavors, went really well with a Usinger's knockwurst on a roll with mustard. Serious hoppiness going on here.

http://www.ratebeer.com/Ratings/Beer/ShowBeer.asp?BeerID=85

http://www.alcoholreviews.com/BEERS/samsmith2.html

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/rate_results/113/782/

http://www.merchantduvin.com/pages/5_breweries/samsmith.html

Probably one of the best stouts I've ever had. WAY better than Guinness Extra Stout.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

When I worked the RenFaire, we did a taste test of stouts (about 30 of 'em!)...

My favorites, in ranking order are:

1. Mackeson

2. Murphy's Irish Stout

3. Sammy Smith's Imperial Stout

4. Young's Chocolate Stout

5. Sammy Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Bear in mind, I tended to like those that had chocolate notes to them...

In terms of domestic stouts I really like the Brooklyn Brewery Black Chocolate Stout. But its difficult to find and only avaliable for 3 months out of the year starting in October.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/rate_results/45/680/

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

I disagree with respect to Guinness, but there are a few things worth considering...

1. There are many different formulations of Guinness depending on whether it will be sold in bottles, cans or draft and also depending on the location where it will be sold. All other versions are markedly inferior to Guinness sold on draft with nitrogen pressure.

2. Imperial stout and regular stout are actually two distinctly different styles. "Russian" Imperial stout is much stronger, richer and alcoholic than regular stout. What makes Guinness on draft so good is that it is actually fairly light and low in alcohol. But, really, comparing the two styles is an apples and oranges thing.

If you like the Sam Smith's Imperial, by the way, you might try the Chocolate Stout from Brooklyn Brewery. Sam Smith's makes a damn good oatmeal stout too.

Regardless, Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout is good stuff! I'm glad you reminded me of it -- it's been too long since I've had a glass.

Edited to add: apparently you like the Brooklyn stout too. :smile:

Edited by slkinsey (log)

--

I agree with you on the Guinness on draft -- when done well its amazing stuff. Not all Guinness is created equal, and its way different in Ireland than it is over here in the US, even on tap. But I'm talking about in bottles and cans, stuff for drinking at home or bringing to places.

Oh, yea. Guinness just isn't the same in bottles. Even with those little widget things. Imperial stout, on the other hand, was always designed to come from a bottle (the easier to transport it to Russia).

--

I agree with you on the Guinness on draft -- when done well its amazing stuff. Not all Guinness is created equal, and its way different in Ireland than it is over here in the US, even on tap. But I'm talking about in bottles and cans, stuff for drinking at home or bringing to places.

Grab a bottle of Victory Storm King Stout, and then tell me what you think.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Draft Guinness is exactly the same in the keg in Ireland and the U.S.; it's the way it's cared for and how fast it's consumed. Kegs of Guinness in Dublin, for instance, rarely last more than three days after leaving the brewery, so the stuff's just fresh as bejayzus...but as it leaves the brewery, the same beer goes on trucks for local delivery and ships bound for Boston.

Lew Bryson

I Drink for a Living

Somewhere in the world...it's Beer O'Clock. Let's have one.

2. Imperial stout and regular stout are actually two distinctly different styles. "Russian" Imperial stout is much stronger, richer and alcoholic than regular stout. What makes Guinness on draft so good is that it is actually fairly light and low in alcohol. But, really, comparing the two styles is an apples and oranges thing.

Dead on the money. There are a lot of "stouts." Dry stout, like Guinness draft; imperial stout, like Sam Smith's; milk stout, like Mackeson's; foreign or export stout, which is really where Brooklyn's Black Chocolate falls; sweet stout, like Dragon Extra; oatmeal stouts like Sam Smith and Troegs; and I throw porters in as well, because they're VERY closely related.

So comparing Guinness to Sammy Smith Imperial is kind of like comparing, oh, Starkist White Albacore to grilled tuna steak. Same kingdom, different animal.

Lew Bryson

I Drink for a Living

Somewhere in the world...it's Beer O'Clock. Let's have one.

Another comparison that serves no purpose. Different styles.

Rick

Edited by Rick Cook (log)

The draft Guniness here in the US is from St James Gate. THe problem is that it is often mishandled all the way down the line from the brewery to the exporter to the importer to the retailer. It is still very often a sublime experience. I kind of love it.

When in New Orleans head over to the Kerry (on Decatur across from Tower Records). It is run by Irishmen for Irishmen and has the look and feel (and the conversational fun that goes along with it) of a decent local in Galway.

In Ireland I will drink Murphy's if it is available, but it is often hard to get out of big cities (with the exception of the South and some of the West of Ireland).

I like Smith's for the occasional quaff, but as Sam pointed out one of the fine things about Guiness is that it is fairly light bodied and low in Alcohol (although with beer that is all pretty relative, in terms of ABV and amount consumed a percent or two doesn't mean much)

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Hear, hear.

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA

Another comparison that serves no purpose. Different styles.

Rick

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

where can I locate Sam Smith's Imp Stout in NYC?

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

Draft Guinness is exactly the same in the keg in Ireland and the U.S.; it's the way it's cared for and how fast it's consumed. Kegs of Guinness in Dublin, for instance, rarely last more than three days after leaving the brewery, so the stuff's just fresh as bejayzus...but as it leaves the brewery, the same beer goes on trucks for local delivery and ships bound for Boston.

I heard a story (so not sure if it is true :wink: ) from the person who built a Guiness "factory" in Nigeria. They were having all sorts of problems getting the blend to taste like the Irish version and could only resolve it by shipping a tanker or two of Irish Guiness over and dumping that in the tanks.

Sounds a bit far fetched but........

• 2 months later...

Try Rogue's Shakespear Stout. A gold medal beer from Rogue Ales out of Oregon that is distributed nationally and internationally. Another good Rogue is their Imperial Stout also widely distributed due to Iron Chef Morimoto's use of it in his restaurant and it's unique bottle. Cheers.

Carolyn, since you like the "chocolate notes," do you drink the Sierra Nevada Porter? It's one of my favorite beers, and one of the most under-appreciated beers in the US, IMHO.

When I worked the RenFaire, we did a taste test of stouts (about 30 of 'em!)...

My favorites, in ranking order are:

1. Mackeson

2. Murphy's Irish Stout

3. Sammy Smith's Imperial Stout

4. Young's Chocolate Stout

5. Sammy Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Slightly OT but,

I just like Sammy Smith beers.

Whether Imperial Stout, Oatmeal Stout, or Nut Brown Ale, they're all damm tasty.

Shame I haven't had one in a while.

I'll have to remedy that soon.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.