• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grits. Grrrrrrrr!

maggiethecat

The Ten Commandments of Grits

1.Thou shalt not put syrup on thy Grits

7.Thou shalt not put syrup on thy Grits

8.Thou shalt not put syrup on thy Grits

9.Thou shalt not put syrup on thy Grits

Good point. Because then the chocolate chips make the grits just too sweet.

Grits swirled with Huckleberry preserves.... quite delectable.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

My esteemed spouse loves them with sugar for breakfast. If I have them at breakfasttime, they're fried leftovers from last night...I don't make fresh grits in the morning even though this is a classic breakfast food.

I like grits with syrup, who cares if it ain't traditional. I do a lot of untraditional things.

I cook grits, then cook sausage, either bulk, formed into small, thin patties, or the small links cut in half.

In a muffin pan (nonstick) I put in just a small dollop of soft butter, add a tablespoon of granulated maple sugar (do you see where I am going with this?)

I add a layer of grits, apply the cooked sausage,

Break an egg on top of the sausage

then another layer of grits.

I bake this in a 350 degree oven for about 15-20 minutes then carefully turn out onto a large platter or tray.

Not exactly flan, but an all-in-one breakfast dish.

I have been known to used crumbled bacon instead of the sausage.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 2 years later...
QUOTE (geekdoc @ Mar 7 2004, 10:01 PM)

My absolute favorite dish from my childhood was smothered doves (olive branch optional ;-) served with their gravy over grits for dinner. 

That dish, to those of you that have never had the pleasure, is one of the sublime dining pleasures in all of true Southern Dining. Unbelievably good. 

Can someone share a recipe for this? Doves as in small game birds? Smothered is something we see used all the time, smothered chops, smothered this or that. Is there a standard "smothering" recipe? When I think of that I usually just think slathered in thick brown gravy.

My favorite way to eat grits this month is with milk gravy, sausage patties, eggs and buttermilk biscuts for breakfast....but we've only eaten them for breakfast and its time we expanded our horizon a little. :biggrin:

-Mike & Andrea

Yep, small game birds, all dark meat, prepare like you would fried chicken, and that thick brown gravy is exactly what you are looking for.

I prefer quail to dove in this prep though. Milder and less gamey. Dove tastes like liver to me, and I just fry up liver and onions with my grits when I want this sort of taste.

If you are feeding a crowd, you will need a lot of birds. I have been known to put away four whole quail in this preparation back in my heyday.

Edited by annecros (log)

Thanks! Sounds like a plan!

Dekab FM is such a hike from me we have cut back to once a month for hard to find veggies. I tease my wife that if it wasn't for the kids school here in Alpharetta we would move to the city just to be closer to DFM.

I wonder if Harry's or a local butcher would carry quail in Alpharetta.

-Mike

-Mike & Andrea

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks!  Sounds like a plan!

Dekab FM is such a hike from me we have cut back to once a month for hard to find veggies.  I tease my wife that if it wasn't for the kids school here in Alpharetta we would move to the city just to be closer to DFM. 

I wonder if Harry's or a local butcher would carry quail in Alpharetta. 

-Mike

Kroger, Publix, & Ingle's usually have quail. Some of the Farmers' Markets near me carry them as well. They are usually frozen. Harry's--at least the one near me--used to carry both frozen and fresh quail so I would assume the one in Alfer-tater has them as well.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.