• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flavored 'papers'

tan319

I've been reading about them a lot lately but no ones explaining what they are or how to do them.

I guess chefG could have started them with his 'pizza' at TRIO.

If anyone has any info on this, I'm all ears...

Thank you!

2317/5000

Thanks for your post, Mike.

What was the texture like?

Melt in your mouth?

Speaking of the '50, how was your experience with the dessert course?

Don't remember a post...

Thanks again.

Edited by tan319 (log)

2317/5000

its been awhile since I had it, but I remember the paper to really be just like a piece of heavy paper. To me, it even kind of looked like the "homemade paper" we made in elementary school, but thinner. It definetly had a slight crunch, but I believe it did indeed sort of melt in your mouth.

Here's a link to when I wrote about my meal there. Link. I really enjoyed the desserts very much.

Mike

The Dairy Show

Special Edition 3-In The Kitchen at Momofuku Milk Bar

I don't know if this is what you have in mind, but you can make paper-like "chips" from just about any puree. For example:

Banana Chips:

125 g banana

juice of 1/2 lemon

12 g sugar

puree together and spread very thinly on a silpat. dry in the oven at 250 for 10 to 15 minutes - you just want to dry, not bake it. When done it will still be flexible, so you need to test it by tearing off a piece and letting it cool. If it's completely dry and crisp when cool, then it's done. you can tear or cut the sheet into shapes and bend it while it's still warm just like a tuile.

You can make a similar thing with just about any fruit puree by adding sugar to taste and a bit of egg white (maybe 1/5 to 1/4 of the weight of puree) to bind it.

Rice Paper:

100 g long grain rice

400 g water

100 g milk

1/2 vanilla bean

30 g sugar

wash and rinse rice. cook rice in water with milk, vanilla and sugar until all of the liquid is absorbed. puree until a very thick paste is formed. Spread on silpat and bake at 300 for 10-15 minutes until dry. Test for doneness by tearing off a piece like above. This makes a very neutral flavored "paper", but you can add just about anything to bring in more flavors - cinnamon, lemon grass, orange zest, ginger, cardamom, etc.

the papers are made from a modified potato starch and melt when they come in contact with a liquid.......we do a dish called "childhood memories on paper".......we do about 3 or 4 different ones per person and have them guess the childhood memory..........it is alot of fun and believe it or not people guess what they are 99 percent of the time........we have done banana pudding, root beer, orange cream cicle, apple jolly rancher, pop rocks, blt and people really get a kick out of it

sean

the papers are made from a modified potato starch and melt when they come in contact with a liquid.......we do a dish called "childhood memories on paper".......we do about 3 or 4 different ones per person and have them guess the childhood memory..........it is alot of fun and believe it or not people guess what they are 99 percent of the time........we have done banana pudding, root beer, orange cream cicle, apple jolly rancher, pop rocks, blt and people really get a kick out of it

sean

Can you divulge the recipe?

Thanks!

2317/5000

I'm sorry, I'm not sure I follow-would you explain a little more- Ted and others?

I'm envisioning rice paper like you'd get in an Asian grocery store wrapped around candy. Or I've bought rice paper with printed images (butterflies and similar) on it to use as an edible garnish-is this the same thing your talking about?

Are you saying that you can take that basic component -the rice paper- and flavor it to taste like a blt or pop rocks? Or are you wrapping it around another item? Would you catch me up on what you've been reading about these, please?

TIA

Wendy,

The first place I read about 'flavored papers' was probably in an interview with Grant Achatz (chefG on the 'Gullet), the chef at Trio, and the second time was in the Fader article with everyones favorite tatted up 'Bad Boyeee' of pastry chefs, Sam Mason of WD-50 fame.

Naturally, my curiousity has the better of me. :biggrin:

I think it's just a flat piece of vegetable paper or as chefseanbrock posted above.

Hopefully he'll come back and elaborate.

Edited by tan319 (log)

2317/5000

The first place I read about 'flavored papers' was probably in an interview with Grant Achatz (chefG on the 'Gullet), the chef at Trio ...

Chef Achatz is here in Barcelona at Alimentaria 2004, the huge food and beverage fair that runs all week. So is Tom Collichio of Craft.

I am hoping to catch them both tomorrow morning at demos they are putting on, and will try to post a picture or two afterwards.

So I don't think Chef Achatz will be able to respond to this post until he returns to Trio...

J.

The first place I read about 'flavored papers' was probably in an interview with Grant Achatz (chefG on the 'Gullet), the chef at Trio ...

Chef Achatz is here in Barcelona at Alimentaria 2004, the huge food and beverage fair that runs all week. So is Tom Collichio of Craft.

I am hoping to catch them both tomorrow morning at demos they are putting on, and will try to post a picture or two afterwards.

So I don't think Chef Achatz will be able to respond to this post until he returns to Trio...

J.

Very exciting, bcnchef!

I hope you will post the pics and if you can, let us in on who is there from the pastry world.

Thanks for the info and link.

2317/5000

Just got back from today's demos, which were all really great.

The demo that Chef Achatz and Martin Kastner gave focused on the high levels of creativity found in today's food and the lack of equivalent progress in the way that food is presented to the customer.

A few photos to whet everyone's appetites.

I will write a more complete Alimentaria 2004 post with additional photos tonight.

Jordi.

alimentaria3.jpg

alimentaria2.jpg

alimentaria1.jpg