• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Melampo and Manganaro

jogoode

I'll give you a tip: don't ask for extra anything, or try to change the sandwiches in any way. If you try, Alessandro may kick you out of the store.

I think I ordered my sandwich from Alessandro's son, who I've heard took over the sandwich dispensing duties. I was asked to pick my bread and heard some other people requesting extra vinaigrette. He was not at all dictatorial.

I was wrong. Not his son, but: 

Moody Italian sandwich maestro Alessandro Gualandi has sold the business to his young understudy Walter Momente, who's valiantly carrying on the vaunted Italian-hero tradition, down to the signature (and spectacular) Alessandro dressing.
-nymetro.com

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

I'll give you a tip: don't ask for extra anything, or try to change the sandwiches in any way. If you try, Alessandro may kick you out of the store.

allessandro's not there anymore.. the guy who's been making sandwiches for him for the better part of the past year is now the only one there..

i like the tuna with mozz, peppers and arugula..

I finally made it to Melampo, on a quiet block on Sullivan Street, last week. I had such a simple, wonderful sandwich: just mozzarella, capicolla and arugula with Melampo's awesome vinaigrette on crusty semolina.

I'll certainly be back to Melampo, but I overheard a customer, a regular, praise the sandwiches at Manganaro, in Hell's Kitchen. Manganaro is near my office, but I don't want to make the trip without someone else's recommendation. I did a search on eGullet and found only mentions of the place. Anyone?

I'll give you only the good about my trip to Manganaro's Hero Boy today. There was a very friendly cat with a cropped tail.

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

Stopped by Melampo for lunch today.

If you haven't yet been, GO! I'm not terribly familiar with Italian sandwich-type places, but the sandwich I got at Melampo was ridiculously good \ and more. High-quality meat (like Katz's, but in a totally different/subtle way), great vegetables, cheese, and bread (all of which cannot be found at Katz's). Also, as Fat Guy mentioned, the sandwiches seem perfectly proportioned. Great place to go if you're catching a weekday early-afternoon movie at the Film Forum (because THAT happens often :rolleyes: -- I only got the chance to because I'm on spring break)

Great place to go if you're catching a weekday early-afternoon movie at the Film Forum (because THAT happens often :rolleyes: -- I only got the chance to because I'm on spring break)

Glad you liked it, kurl!

If you want to make a little extra money during your break, you might consider starting a Melampo delivery service. I'd pay about $50 for that Fellini right now. :smile:

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

are there tables in Melampo or is it strictly takeout?

There is one small table, but almost everyone takes out. I sat at the table and watched the line form. Since customers seem to come in waves, you can probably sit on an off hour.

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

• 6 years later...