• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Melampo and Manganaro

jogoode

I finally made it to Melampo, on a quiet block on Sullivan Street, last week. I had such a simple, wonderful sandwich: just mozzarella, capicolla and arugula with Melampo's awesome vinaigrette on crusty semolina.

I'll certainly be back to Melampo, but I overheard a customer, a regular, praise the sandwiches at Manganaro, in Hell's Kitchen. Manganaro is near my office, but I don't want to make the trip without someone else's recommendation. I did a search on eGullet and found only mentions of the place. Anyone?

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

Totally not in the same league. Maybe Manganaro was great at some point, but the two times I've been there in the 21st Century it has offered only ultra-salty, mediocre sandwiches. They'd be the best sandwiches in many cities, but they're not even on the radar for me by New York standards. Melampo, on the other hand, produces a true artisanal sandwich -- Alessandro was even an inspiration, I think, for Tom Colicchio's 'wichcraft.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Pretty good, definitely not that un-crusty crap most places are using these days.

Did Ed Levine say anything about Manganaro in his deli sandwiches piece in the Times? I can't remember.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

JJ, are you talking about Manganaro's Hero-Boy or Manganaro Grosseria Italiana? As you may know, these are adjoining businesses owned by two brothers who have not spoken in decades folowing some kind of schism. From what I hear, the grosseria makes a much better sandwich.

--

As long as the bread's good, I'll give it a shot and try hard to compose a sandwich that's not too salty.

I don't think Levine mentioned it. But I can't get to the NY Times article because it has become pay only. We need to make a list on eGullet of his recommendations for bagels, heroes, ice cream, etc. An "Ed Levine recommends" thread.

Heroes that I can remember

Brooklyn Bread

Caputo's

Melampo

Mike's Deli

That place in Queens that looked awesome

Salumeria Biellese (though the good stuff might only be accessible to those in the know -- and not me)

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

JJ, are you talking about Manganaro's Hero-Boy or Manganaro Grosseria Italiana? As you may know, these are adjoining businesses owned by two brothers who have not spoken in decades folowing some kind of schism. From what I hear, the grosseria makes a much better sandwich.

I didn't know that! I thought the hero-boy part was the main shop's sandwich offshoot. Now I have to do some comparing, huh?

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

MELAMPO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nicole,

Do you have a favorite Melampo sandwich? Or any tips -- best bread, extra vinaigrette -- for my next trip? I've only had the Fellini on semolina.

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

I'll give you a tip: don't ask for extra anything, or try to change the sandwiches in any way. If you try, Alessandro may kick you out of the store.

I think the various sandwiches at Mike's Deli in the Arthur Avenue Retail Market blow Manganaro away, but that's me. I can't speak for Melampo since I have never been, but the proof is in how good their salumi purveyors are and what bread they are using. Unless we're talking about stuff like Chicken Parms, Sausage and Peppers, and Meatballs, in which its a level playing field.

_yankee3.JPG

The "Yankee Stadium" at Mike's. I rest my case.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

The sandwiches at Mike's are far better than those at Manganaro. They're probably the best of that genre. But Melampo makes a different species of sandwich: not the overstuffed, many-meat orgies served at Mike's but, rather, something much more minimalistic and, in my opinion, elegant. Each Melampo sandwich contains just a few carefully chosen ingredients in considered ratios -- they are compositions, the best of their kind that I've tried.

Is Mike's deli open on Sundays. I had that exact sandwich after an opening day game at Yankee Stadium...oh my god.

Melampo is a good food moment... you just trust and order off the list and all is right with the world.

Manganaro Groceria is a good sandwich and it would pay to compare the two brothers.

but oh that mikes...I wish I was there right now...

i saw the Fat Guy's post and would really agree about how those sandwiches are filled. the Melampo is so Italian...and Mike's is so italian-American. My geat grandmother would do it all so simply and my aunt was another story all together. God forbid she didn't use everything.

I'll give you a tip: don't ask for extra anything, or try to change the sandwiches in any way. If you try, Alessandro may kick you out of the store.

I think I ordered my sandwich from Alessandro's son, who I've heard took over the sandwich dispensing duties. I was asked to pick my bread and heard some other people requesting extra vinaigrette. He was not at all dictatorial.

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

I think the various sandwiches at Mike's Deli in the Arthur Avenue Retail Market blow Manganaro away, but that's me. I can't speak for Melampo since I have never been, but the proof is in how good their salumi purveyors are and what bread they are using. Unless we're talking about stuff like Chicken Parms, Sausage and Peppers, and Meatballs, in which its a level playing field.

_yankee3.JPG

The "Yankee Stadium" at Mike's. I rest my case.

I think it took me less than a day after seeing your post about the Yankee Stadium to go get one myself. Your opinions have that kind of power over me, Jason. :smile: It was an incredible sandwich, a different concept entirely, as FG said, from sandwiches at Melampo.

I thought Manganaro might supply a sandwich fix while I'm at work, in Midtown, but maybe I should just figure out a way to safely transport one from Mike's.

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

My two cents: Melampo sandwiches are the best on the face of the earth. The Fellini on fabulous focaccia with pillows of fresh mozzarella, the saltiest, tastiest proscuitto di parma, peppery rocket and Alessandro's perfect, vinegary peppers: sandwich nirvana. I've never been able to order another in case it wasn't as good

the pinocchio, on semolina is my fave

and don't mess with the combos. i've tried before only to say to myself , i should have just left things alone, plus it cost me more to mess my sandwich up

don't forget a bottle of limonata and the yummy little treat he always tucks inside your bag.

nkaplan@delposto.com

My two cents: Melampo sandwiches are the best on the face of the earth. The Fellini on fabulous focaccia with pillows of fresh mozzarella, the saltiest, tastiest proscuitto di parma, peppery rocket and Alessandro's perfect, vinegary peppers: sandwich nirvana. I've never been able to order another in case it wasn't as good

The Fellini on focaccia? I'll have to try that, though I thought the semonlina made an excellent match for that sandwich.

Melampo is at 105 Sullivan St.

For Mike's info, see Jason's link several posts ago.

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com