• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine suggestions for a six-course Chinese dinner?

Alex

In a few weeks, Ms. Alex and I will attend a six-course prix fixe "East Meets West" dinner at Friendship in Chicago. It's BYO, and we certainly could use some wine suggstions. At this point I don't know if it'll be just the two of us or if other eG'ers will be joining. Let's say two bottles for now, and I'm less concerned about a wine for the dessert course. Thanks in advance for your thoughts. Here's the menu:

I.

Panko Crusted Crab Cake on Watercress with Szechwan Chili Aioli

II.

Seafood Cream of Corn Soup with Lobster Broth

III.

Peking Duck Wrap and Duck Confit in Taro Root Basket with Mandarin Orange Grand Marnier Sauce

IV.

Pan Seared Chilean Sea Bass on Seaweed Salad with Gingered Sweet Soy and Chili Oil

V.

Wok Roasted Mushroom Caps on Chicken Flavored Sticky Rice

VI.

Ginger-Scented Tofu Cheese Cake and Sweet Purple Yam Ice Cream with Raspberry Coulis

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

If you can find, try a white Arbois or "Côte-de Jura" (but not necessarily Vin Jaune, too concentrated and pretty expensive).

It's a rather sour, with a lot oxydisation vinifyied white wine to be served at room temperature (!). It displays a non-fruit sensorical characteristic and is a great match with rather spicey food, what I consider always to be a difficult pairing with most wines.

Just to quote some authiorities:

Robert Parker

Parker describes the "historic yet little-known Arbois appellation, a viticultural region with a climate similar to Cote de Beaune and heavy clay/stone soils reminiscent of Chassagne-Montrachet" and describes Vin Jaune as an intriguing rarity - rich, medium dry, with an exceptional perfume and made in a honeyed, nutty, slightly oxidised style..

Hugh Johnson

"Connoisseurs of the French countryside each have their own favourite corner. I have a shortlist ready and Jura is on it". "Savagnin is a late ripener and a small cropper, but its wine is powerful in alcohol & flavour". Vin Juane is an impressive aperitif, intense in flavour, obvioulsly slightly oxidised but long & fine and altogether worthwhile".

Raymond Blanc

The Jura is an important winemeaking region in France - Lesser known, maybe, but as prestigious as any Burgundy, its red wine is made from a number of grapes, such as Pinot Noir, but mostly from the more typical Franc-Comptois grapes , the Poulsard and the Trousseau. The white wines are made from Chardonnay and the unique Savagnin grape. The vinification process is also unique. It uses oxidisation to encourage its maturation. It is this that lends its characteristic bouquet of walnuts and almonds. Its colour - deep gold, will completely enthuse you.

Maybe it's worth an extendend search.

Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler.

In a few weeks, Ms. Alex and I will attend a six-course prix fixe "East Meets West" dinner at Friendship in Chicago. It's BYO, and we certainly could use some wine suggstions. At this point I don't know if it'll be just the two of us or if other eG'ers will be joining. Let's say two bottles for now, and I'm less concerned about a wine for the dessert course. Thanks in advance for your thoughts. Here's the menu:

I.

Panko Crusted Crab Cake on Watercress with Szechwan Chili Aioli

II.

Seafood Cream of Corn Soup with Lobster Broth

III.

Peking Duck Wrap and Duck Confit in Taro Root Basket with Mandarin Orange Grand Marnier Sauce

IV.

Pan Seared Chilean Sea Bass on Seaweed Salad with Gingered Sweet Soy and Chili Oil

V.

Wok Roasted Mushroom Caps on Chicken Flavored Sticky Rice

VI.

Ginger-Scented Tofu Cheese Cake and Sweet Purple Yam Ice Cream with Raspberry Coulis

I'm with tcizma. Specifically:

For the first 3 courses, I would do a sparkling Vouvray or a Cremant de Alsace.

For the last 2 courses, a Gruner Veltliner or Austrian Riesling or dryish Vouvray.

Or:

Courses I, III, and IV with an off-dry Scheurebe or a Moscato d'Asti. The citrus flavors in these wines will match well with the food.

Courses II and V with a rich Vouvray or Alsation gewurtz or pinot gris, of the dryish variety. Something like one of the Huet 'sec' Vouvrays or one of the drier Zind-Humbrecht bottlings. I'm assuming there will be a bit of Asian spice in these dishes, though none is mentioned.

--- Lee

Seattle