• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wear on KA paddle

bloviatrix

I've had my KA for about 8 years and I'm on my third paddle. And I don't even use my mixer all that much. Today, I pulled out my KA to make my hamentashen batter and I noticed that it's time go buy number four (fortunately, Zabar's is walking distance). The enamel (or whatever the white coating is) has worn away at the tip where it makes contact with the bowl.

For those of you with the KA, do you have the same problem, or do you think there is problem my mixer. Maybe the planetary action is off? This is very frustrating.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Bloviatrix,

What size KA do you have? I have a 5 quart at work and I actually have 2 paddles - 1 is what you described, white that has enamel scraped off, showing the metal bottom, and another one that is actually all metal.

I use the all metal 90% of the time because I find it to be safer, but I have used the scraped one when I can't locate my " good" paddle. I have had no ill effects from using one or the other.

I ask what size KA you have because I have a tilt 4 1/2 quart one at home that came with the white paddle. I haven't used it enough to scrape anything off, but if you have a 5 quart KA, you should be able to find the all metal paddle.

Come to think of it, I'm wondering if the paddle I have at home could be used on my 5 quart machine that I have at work. :huh: Interesting. That would be great because I don't know if they make an all metal paddle for a 4 1/2 quart KA.

Something that might be good to look into to. Will let you know if I find anything out.

HTH,

Jason

I have the 4.5 qt one.

Another thing I need to point out, is that I have two sets of paddles (and bowls) - the other set is used for dairy baking. I only point this out, because I don't even use this paddle for 100% of my KA use.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

No, dear bloviatrix, you are not alone -- I blasted the coating from the top of my KA paddle in a mere three months or something. Yes, I was annoyed.

But I'm also lazy; I just keep using the thing. (We're still alive!)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I've had my 4 1/2 qt KA for almost 10 years with the enameled paddle and have had no wear whatsoever...although I also have had a 6 qt as well for the past 2 years (I do wedding cakes) and it came with the all aluminum one. One thing I do try to be consistent with is not using any type of abrasive scrubbing pad on the coated paddle. Maybe there is a problem with your 'planetary action'.

Hey...I kinda like that phrase...'planetary action'

"Godspeed all the bakers at dawn... may they all cut their thumbs and bleed into their buns til they melt away..."

About a year and a half ago I "upgraded" to the 6 quart with the all metal paddle. Prior to that I used the 5 quart regularly with the enamel paddle. While there was some slight "chipping" at the top where it attached to the mixer, the rest was fine . . . and I used it lots for close to 15 years! For the various complaints about KA, their customer service is supposed to be fabulous. I'd call them. First, they can tell you how to adjust your "planetary action." Secondly, they might just send you a new paddle for free.

Edited by JFLinLA (log)
So long and thanks for all the fish.

My present KitchenAid, with the lifty-bowl, is about 15 years old, and the white coating (I don't think it was enamel, more like vinyl or similar) on either the dough hook or the flat paddle, don't remember which, began to give way years ago.

I replaced them both with the uncoated aluminum parts, from Culinary Parts Unlimited. (Probably they are available from other sources, too, nowadays, but God Bless CPU for being there all these years.)

Don't the tilty-head KA machines have a screwdriverable adjustment for planetary action?

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

For the various complaints about KA, their customer service is supposed to be fabulous. I'd call them. First, they can tell you how to adjust your "planetary action." Secondly, they might just send you a new paddle for free.

D'oh (hits head with heal of palm).

Why didn't it occur to me to call KA? It would be nice if I got some common sense. :laugh:

For the various complaints about KA, their customer service is supposed to be fabulous.  I'd call them.  First, they can tell you how to adjust your "planetary action."  Secondly, they might just send you a new paddle for free.

D'oh (hits head with heal of palm).

Why didn't it occur to me to call KA? It would be nice if I got some common sense. :laugh:

glad this hint came up. I suspect it's your planetary setting that's causing the abrasion at the bottom.

FWIW, I had a 5 qt for 13+ years, no abrading of enamelled panels. Now I have the 6 qrt, and bought extra enamel paddles - I put mine in the dishwasher, and I hate what that does to the aluminum ones - those need to be washed by hand - not my style when it can be reasonably avoided. ;-)

Too bad that all the people who know

how to run the country are busy driving

taxicabs and cutting hair.

--George Burns

I was not aware that this adjustment existed on the KA mixer, so I went to their website and downloaded a PDF of the user's manual (lost mine years ago), and indeed, the beater height is adjustable. It says right in the manual:

"NOTE: When properly adjusted, the flat beater will not strike on bottom or side

of bowl. If beater or wire whip is adjusted too close so that it strikes bottom of

bowl, coating may wear off beater or wires may wear through on wire whip."

So that would seem to be it.

I'm going to have to check mine; I think it's actually a little too high.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science