• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Blue Sky Cafe Update

Rosie

For those of you who may be traveling to Portland, Maine and miss the cuisine of Chef David Joseph he has opened:

Eatery Cafe

111 Middle Street

Portland ME

207-761-9281

Serving breakfast and lunch, m-f, 7am to 2pm. Counter service, delivery and take-out available.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

When we joined friends for the last dinner at Blue Sky, Sherry had mentioned that they expected to be back for some "special cooking events" at the new restaurant that took its physical location. Has anyone heard anything on that?

Casey

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Received this from Chef David Joseph

2 1lb Loaves Italian Panelle Bread cut into 1" cubes (day old is easiest

to cut)

1 doz eggs

1 cup sugar

3 T pure vanilla extract

1 qt 1/2 and 1/2

8 to 12 oz chopped belgian bittersweet chocolate (we always used

Calibeaut available at Fresh Fields)

Mix eggs, sugar and vanilla at high speed in mixer until foamy, about 2 to

3 minutes. Bring half and half to a boil careful not to let it boil over.

With mixer on slow, pour small amout of half and half into egg mixture.

Gradually add remaining half and half until fully incorporated. Pour

mixture over bread and let soak for several hours until most of the liquid

is absorbed. Add chocolate and pour mix into buttered baking pan. Bake at

350 for 30 to 40 minutes until puffy and set. We have started baking the

pudding in a waterbath, but this is much more difficult to handle and not

something I would advise at home unless you feel comfortable with the

process.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 1 month later...

Small world dept, & I'm not sure whether this belongs in the NJ or New England forum, but......

We spent last week in Maine. First 5 days, rented a cottage on the swamps at Back River Bend.. Lovely place. Never really got to speak with the owners at length while we were there, they were busy running their boat yard & getting ready for fall.

Ran into them at JR Maxwell's restaurant in Bath later that week, got to chatting. Talked about Jersey & Montclair, Sam told the story of this chef who came to stay at their cottages with his girlfriend a couple of years ago & they loved it so much, they asked to be married there the following year. Turned out that the chef was David Joseph, of Blue Sky Cafe fame, & we were staying in the very cottage where the happy couple had honeymooned. Sam says they've become good friends & David invited him & Ruth to his own birthday dinner. Oh my. What a treat.

Sam reports that David & Sherri love their life in Maine & are doing very well serving breakfast & lunch to Portland's bankers 5 days a week at The Eatery. He says David had a bit of a hard time adjusting to his new clientele, but yielded to popular demand & grudgingly put burgers & fries on the menu.

I bet that they're very good burgers & fries.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845