• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Galatoire's

saturnbar

Lunch twice in the last week. As always, it was PERFECTLY what I expected, and, as I have since I was 7 (more than a year ago-less than 40), I enjoyed it immensely.

"Bring on the eggplant and the powdered sugar. Oh, and, a bunch of those Sazeracs on ice. We'll let you know what we need next. Thanks."

Memorize that script. You might have a much better experience, even on Friday lunch, as a complete neophyte.

I love the place. It's what it is. Not a damned thing wrong with that. Perhaps...probably...it's not.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Yeah, I don't believe that non-regulars are unwelcome (although I can certainly believe the kitchen had an off night).

The first time I went there I walked in, said I had no waiter preference, and got attended to in grand style. I've been there as a guest of the house, and I can't say the service was any better or worse than that first time.

Now, I always wear a jacket and drink a few rounds before thinking about food, so maybe that marks me as a local.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)