• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Whole fish

markk

Lovely color on the skin Baron - was it crispy at all? I started with trout many many years ago - boned but left whole by the fishmongers at Grand Central Market in Los Angeles. They took pity on a young woman and took the time to teach me how to do it myself. Over time I began to prefer leaving the bones in for flavor even though I was pretty good at the deboning process. The flesh lifts right off and you don't lose any hidden succulent bits. I think it is time for a trip to the fish market.

There are quite a few examples of whole fish dishes in the Dinner and Lunch threads, and some on the Chinese Eats at Home thread(s).

The Eating My Way Through The Ecuadorian Fishery thread also shows many (all?) whole fish cooked as the intact fish although they are then generally served chunked off the frame.

Take a look at those threads, if one is so inclined.

Edited by huiray (log)

There are quite a few examples of whole fish dishes in the Dinner and Lunch threads, and some on the Chinese Eats at Home thread(s).

The Eating My Way Through The Ecuadorian Fishery thread also shows many (all?) whole fish cooked as the intact fish although they are then generally served chunked off the frame.

Take a look at those threads, if one is so inclined.

Most, not all - some of the stuff I've eaten would have been far too big to cook whole (swordfishes, yellowfin tuna, mahi mahi, wahoo, sharks).

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)