• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ethnic Geographies/Grocers in Northern New Jersey

As my interest in preparing a variety of ethnic cuisines increases, so does my need to find ethnic grocers of specific nationalities. Although we live in a melting pot and all of our communities are extremely diverse, some are slightly less diverse than others. And that, imo, makes for some great food.

Experience has shown me that if I'm looking for, say, a good Mexican grocer, finding a community with a substantial Mexican population is a good place to look. Although I have lived in New Jersey for most of my life, my knowledge of areas beyond 20 miles from my home is fairly minimal. As I'm aware of ethnic enclaves in my own area, I'm hoping that someone from another area can enlighten me to enclaves in their vicinity. If there are specific ethnic grocers that you love, please share them, although at the moment I'm primarily interested in learning about communities and/or subcommunities.

From my travels within the state, these towns appear to have substantial populations of a specific nationality of people:

Dover - Mexican

Parsipany - Chinese and Indian

North Bergen - Cuban

Fort Lee - Korean

Anything you can add to this list would be greatly appreciated. I have no doubt that whatever nationalities/areas you bring to my attention, they will become my eventual destination. At the moment, I'm on a huge Thai/Middle Eastern kick. Does Northern New Jersey have any predominantly Thai communities? Middle Eastern (Egyptian)?

Jersey City may not be known for its good vibrations, but there's no shortage of grocers from virtually every corner of the globe. While there are numerous Indian and Filipino grocers, lots of other nationalities are represented -- Mideast (Moroccan, Afghani), Korean, Chinese. Even a kosher style deli. Newark is another city rich in cultural diversity where you can probably find most anything. Just make sure your bodyguard is well-armed when touring either city.

Passaic: Mexican, Central and South American.

Patterson: Middle Eastern and more Mexican.

Fairlawn: Great homemade Eastern European cold cuts

Garfeild: Polish

Palisades Park: Korean (Han Ah Rhuem in Ridgefeild Park and Little Ferry)

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

Thanks, those are some great leads.

Palisades Park: Korean (Han Ah Rhuem in Ridgefeild Park and Little Ferry)

Han Ah Rhuem? I'm not familiar with that. Is that the name of a store? Korean grocers tend to have Thai ingredients (like fresh galangal) that my local Chinese grocers do not. Would you, by chance, happen to know if there are any good Korean grocers west of Little Ferry? The farther I can get away from the congestion of the GWB, the better.

Also, could you recommend a good Middle Eastern grocer in Patterson?

...lots of other nationalities are represented -- Mideast(Moroccan, Afghani), Korean, Chinese.

Glenn, if memory serves me correctly, Jersey City/Newark can be pretty tricky parking wise. That being said, the possibility of finding a good Moroccan or Afghani grocer west of the Hudson are probably pretty slim. Any specific places that you like?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Glenn, if memory serves me correctly, Jersey City/Newark can be pretty tricky parking wise.  That being said, the possibility of finding a good Moroccan or Afghani grocer west of the Hudson are probably pretty slim. Any specific places that you like?

Yes, parking generally stinks, not to mention JC has or did have the highest auto theft of any city in the state or world or something. Sorry, I can't help with the specifics as I haven't patronized these delis -- the Afghan deli is downtown on Newark Ave near the restaurant Miss Saigon. The mideastern deli is on Baldwin Avenue just north of Montgomery Street. Sorry I can't be more specific, but I'll try to pay attention next time I pass them and note names and addresses.

My two favorite Middle Eastern groceries in Patterson are Fattals Bakery and Nori's groceries both on Main St.

Edited by Double 0 (log)

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

Hackensack has several good latin markets and a Thai market, an indian market, all within a couple of blocks of the main street library

the Arek market in river edge has some good greek/mediteranian ingredients (south of the diner)

the king fung in river edge isn't bad for asian, but I hear others in the area are better

fink

The best part of the Guiniea Pig? The Cheeks! Definately the cheeks!!

it might be called Udom's.  if you're looking at Wondee's thai restaurant, (at 296 Main St, Hackensack), the grocery is about 3 doors to the right.

Yeah, its Udoms, and its a teeny little place on the same block as Wondees, although its closer to the corner.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Yeah, its Udoms, and its a teeny little place.

but dey got da goods. kaffir, lemongrass, curries, thai videos, the whole lot.

Yeah, I've bought a whole bunch of supplies from him. Very packed little place. He has frozen galangal, fresh chiles, lemongrass and fresh basil onhand most of the time.

And just to get down to the nitty gritty :)

I did a search for udom and found this. Here is an address, phone number, and the day when fresh produce is delivered:

Terri Lee Foods, Inc. Chinese, Thai and Oriental Groceries

225 Maywood Avenue

Maywood, NJ 07607

201-843-7919

Udom Corp. Thai and Indonesian Grocery

288 B Main Street

Hackensack, NJ 07601

201-621-0065

Udom in Hackensack has a larger selection of Thai dry goods than does Terri Lee, and Terri Lee has a larger selection of fresh produce. The best days to

go to either store for fresh produce are market days, when they bring the fresh produce in directly from China Town in NYC. Udom's market day is

Saturday starting at 11 a.m.; Terri Lee's market days are Thursday and Saturday starting at noon.

Last time I was there I purchased flash frozen and vaccum sealed galangal from him. That was several months ago.

Terri Lee is also a pretty cool little place -- and I agree his produce section is better, he even frequently gets the little thai eggplants that are critical to producing a good Gang Keow Warn (Green Curry)

A new little Japanese specialties place has opened in Closter, Pica Pica. A miniature version of Mitsuwa in Edgewater. Nori sheets, dried wasabi, packaged daikon, bonito flakes, and pickled vegetables, lots of types of tofu and panko. Cute little place, worth a visit.

Pica Pica

253 Closter Dock Rd

Closter, NJ 07624

201-750-0755

Edited by menton1 (log)

• 1 month later...

so i'm poking around the internet searching for some stuff the other day, and i come across "japanese fisheries" in Ridgewood. now, i'm pretty familiar with Ridgewood, but never saw anything like "japanese fisheries".

i finally got a chance to go find it today. according to the address, it's right between Village Green, and an asian place that i always get delivery from. "surely it can't really be there, can it?" i ask myself as i'm heading downtown. yup, it is. it's called "Ridgewood Fisheries", with a japanese name under it.

the store isn't very large, but they've got a lot of essentials, like nori, rice vinegar, some fresh vegetables and roots and things, and also raw sushi-quality fish. i they didn't have a huge selection of fish, but it was early on a friday morning. i'm definitely going to have to check this place out for fish for sushi, as the only other place i know of close by is han ah reum. this could mean i'll be eating a lot more sushi at home.

30 Prospect St

Ridgewood

(201) 670-0882