• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Authentic Chicken Kebab Recipe

:laugh:  :laugh:  :cool:

I note that tomeyya (here we go again...domeya? that wonderful garlic dip) isn't listed either, and it was there for 2 years running.  Ohh, that stuff was to die for.

OK. Now for the Tomeya, LoL.

This is a garlic dip and means "the one from the garlic".

Toum is Arabic for Garlic and in Egypt they pronounce it "Tomm' by dropping the "U" while in the ME they pronounce it "Toum"

The Toumeya recipe is a tricky one because the Egyptian version is a poor imitation of the original Lebanese version served with Shich Taouk (here we go again back to the original topic).

Anyway, it is a mix of garlic pounded with salt to a paste texture mixed with boiled potatoes and EVOO. Quantities are really to your taste as it depends on the sharpness of the garlic. The only proviso is to add EVOO very slowly while mixing to form an amalgamated paste.

The purist insist that no potatoe should be added and it is only garlic and EVOO.

Some other add Mayo but this should be a nono.

:laugh:  :laugh:  :cool:

I note that tomeyya (here we go again...domeya? that wonderful garlic dip) isn't listed either, and it was there for 2 years running.  Ohh, that stuff was to die for.

OK. Now for the Tomeya, LoL.

This is a garlic dip and means "the one from the garlic".

Toum is Arabic for Garlic and in Egypt they pronounce it "Tomm' by dropping the "U" while in the ME they pronounce it "Toum"

The Toumeya recipe is a tricky one because the Egyptian version is a poor imitation of the original Lebanese version served with Shich Taouk (here we go again back to the original topic).

Anyway, it is a mix of garlic pounded with salt to a paste texture mixed with boiled potatoes and EVOO. Quantities are really to your taste as it depends on the sharpness of the garlic. The only proviso is to add EVOO very slowly while mixing to form an amalgamated paste.

The purist insist that no potatoe should be added and it is only garlic and EVOO.

Some other add Mayo but this should be a nono.

I've tried making it a few times, from different recipes, including the one FoodMan offers in his Introduction to Lebanese Cuisine here on eGullet. So far my results never have come up to the Taboula standard. It probably is a matter of adjusting the proportions based on how the garlic tastes.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown