• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

SoBe Wine and Food

plax

Bond Girl and I will be meeting up at this weekend's SoBe Wine and Food Festival, and then writing about it for the Daily Gullet. Anyone else going?

Neil

Author of the Mahu series of mystery novels set in Hawaii.

Hi, Washington DC egulleter sure could use restaurant recs for Lincoln Road/SoBe area. Is little Havana worth the trip? Stone crabs besides Joes? Good, fairly priced wine lists a big plus for this wino couple. Thanks

Due to a last minute reappropriation of funds I was able to go on Saturday. It was a good time. I was real dissappointed that Alton Brown was unable to attend (he had a fairly serious heart scare for those who haven't heard), but I really enjoyed Rose Levy-Berenbaum and Bourdain as far as the clinics were concerned.

As far as the tasting went, I have to admit I was a bit overwhelmed with the sheer number of things to taste. I had some pretty good cheeses and some pretty good wines, but it wasn't an environment that allowed me to make a complete analysis of anything. (or maybe it was all the shots of Bailey's I slugged. They had a stand right in the middle of everything, and always had some set out and ready to go, so ended up consuming about 3 by the end of the day.) Overall a great time though. Here is a picture I took of everyones favorite gulleteer:

pic1.jpg

Wow, Tony is actually looking healthy for a change! That sun must have done him some good! :laugh:

What is he doing in that picture, rehearsing for an informercial?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

He basically just shot the shit with the crowd for around an hour. He talked for about 10 min. and then took Q&A for the next 50 min. He was hysterical. I can post more pics, but they are pretty much all of him talking or laughing.

edit: he is sitting on the counter of the demo kitchen that was set up for clinics throughout the day. They were donated by KA, hence all the KA infomercial look.

Edited by Scotty O (log)

I once saw our own Steve Klc do a chocolate demonstration under the banner of some manufacturer--it was probably KitchenAid or Cuisinarts--and he pulls out this odd little turquoise mini blender from some southeast Asian country and starts extolling the benefits of a machine he picked up at some offbeat shop. That the damn good handouts of his dark chocolate encased foie gras and ice wine jelly, made my day. :biggrin:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

i4004.jpg

Anthony Bourdain's longtime sous-chef and consigliere, the notorious (as seen in such books as Kitchen Confidential) Steven Tempel, succumbs to the vortex-like pull of celebrity at a small gathering for Le Bernardin chef Eric Ripert.  Asked to confirm reports that an extremely gracious Lagasse and a stunned Bourdain were seen chatting amicably were met by an uncomfortably long pause and a  terse no comment from Bourdain's office. Rumors continue to float here in Miami that Bourdain subsequently hanged himself in his shower stall.

Photograph By Rose Marie Morse

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 3 weeks later...
i4004.jpg
Anthony Bourdain's longtime sous-chef and consigliere, the notorious (as seen in such books as Kitchen Confidential) Steven Tempel, succumbs to the vortex-like pull of celebrity at a small gathering for Le Bernardin chef Eric Ripert.  Asked to confirm reports that an extremely gracious Lagasse and a stunned Bourdain were seen chatting amicably were met by an uncomfortably long pause and a  terse no comment from Bourdain's office. Rumors continue to float here in Miami that Bourdain subsequently hanged himself in his shower stall.

Photograph By Rose Marie Morse

I thought that was Emeril's son in the middle!!