• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bife de Tira?

I remember back when I was living in Sao Paulo, Brazil 15 years ago, my family used to frequent a steak house called 'Baby Beef Rubaiyat". I don't know if this place still exists, but I remember they served excellent steaks, a very good salad buffet, and excellent feijoada.

My favorite was a cut of beef called 'Bife de Tira', which was a long strip of steak with a strip of fat running the full length of one side.

Anybody know what this cut of meat might be called in English?

• 6 months later...

This is a little late, but Baby Beef Rubaiyat does indeed still exist (and it's yummy!) Rubaiyat seems to be a popular family of restaurants, my favorite is Figuierido Rubaiyat.

Anyway, bife de tira translates literally as strip beef. I believe it is either strip steak or top sirloin.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

• 1 year later...

Ah, so the restaurant still exists! I wish I can go back to Brazil in the near future for their excellent beef.

Compared to U.S. beef, I remember Brazilian beef as being a little less tender but infinitely more flavorful (rich beefy flavor).

-1 colher (sopa) de manteiga

-500g de bife de tira, com espessura de 2cm

-1/4 xícara de molho de tomate com manjericão

-1 xícara de abacaxi fresco cortado em pedaços

-1/4 xícara de pimentão vermelho picado

-1 kiwi descascado e picado

-1 banana nanica descascada e picada

-1 colher (sopa) de coentro fresco picado

-2 colheres (sopa) de suco de limão

Modo de Preparo:

Numa frigideira grande, derreta a manteiga e frite o bife em fogo médio, até o ponto desejado. Reduza o fogo e espalhe o molho de tomate sobre a carne.

À parte, misture os ingredientes restantes.

Sirva a carne cortada perpendicularmente às fibras.

Acompanhe com o molho de frutas.

E bom proveito!

and here

http://www.manualdochurrasco.com.br/21/festival.htm#bife

TYhe name of the restaurant is Figueira Rubayat, because you sit under a huge fig tree (I mean huge...) and bife de tira is (more or less I guess) a boneless top loin steak.

Ah, so the restaurant still exists!  I wish I can go back to Brazil in the near future for their excellent beef.

Compared to U.S. beef, I remember Brazilian beef as being a little less tender but infinitely more flavorful (rich beefy flavor).

• 3 years later...
In Argentina, Asado de Tira is simply a strip of Beef Rib bones cut to about 4-5cm in width, still held together by meat, collagen and silverskin...essentially a long strip of short ribs.

Well paisano it is true but the most important way is how you cook it

I have found a small restaurant in Montevideo near the Uruguayan parliament to be a great place for this kind of meat and about the adobo(chimichurri) I won't tell you nothing because it was heavenly and that was 1995.

As noted, "asado de tira" is a long strip of crosscut ribs with the meat and fat holding them together. The "bife de tira" is almost the same, but it's the strip of meat cut away from the bones, running along one side of the ribs.

SaltShaker - Casting a little flavor (and a few aspersions) on the world of food, drink, and life

Casa SaltShaker - Restaurant de Puertas Cerradas

Spanish-English-Spanish Food & Wine Dictionary - a must for any traveler!