• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating the Tri-Cities

woodburner

It's been at least 10 years since I've last been to Ralph's Tavern, located on Central Ave, just south of the Colonie Shopping Center on Wolf Road.

Ralph's is an Albany institution, serving from the same location since Prohobition.

We stopped for a late lunch today at about 2:30, to find the place just about full with dining and drinking patrons.

We seated in the dining room, to be professionaly served by our waitress. Her service was not below any, that I have seen in the Capital Region, at any establishment. Polished she was, would be an understatement.

Started with a basket of expertly fried medium hot wings, perfect crunchy exterior, with just the right amount of spicy buttery sauce spattered about.

For her, a Hot Corned beef on Rye, that while uneventful, was about twice as much as most would eat for lunch.

Me, steak sandwich, the hollowed out heel of crusty Italian bread, filled with top round beef, onions peppers, and melted mozz cheese. Perfect.

But the fries..... :biggrin:

hand cut....

with a crunchy exterior seasoning, that will beckon me forever forward.

I will say, bar none, has any fry ever come close to these.

They are open most day's for lunch, dinner and evening munches, serving Italian/American pub fare.

Ralph's Tavern

1328 Central Ave.

Colonie

489-8290

woodburner

But the fries..... :biggrin:

hand cut....

with a crunchy exterior seasoning, that will beckon me forever forward.

I will say, bar none, has any fry ever come close to these.

woodburner

Strong words!

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

• 3 weeks later...

Cafe Capriccio purportedly is offering one of the finest dinner's in the city of Albany right now. Prices are $65/pp plus tax and gratuity.

Taken from thier website:

"Chef's Table will Now Be Offered Each Tuesday Evening at 6:30. Each Program will Feature Restaurants and/or Recollections from our Recent Travels in Italy, Portugal and Spain. Tuesday, Café Capriccio"

Cafe Capriccio.

47 Grand St., Albany, NY 12207–Reservations:465-6822

The Tuesday Menu collection in online, and displayed up through April 05.

woodburner

Cafe Capriccio purportedly is offering one of the finest dinner's in the city of Albany right now. Prices are $65/pp plus tax and gratuity.

Taken from thier website:

"Chef's Table will Now Be Offered Each Tuesday Evening at 6:30. Each Program will Feature Restaurants and/or Recollections from our Recent Travels in Italy, Portugal and Spain. Tuesday, Café Capriccio"

Cafe Capriccio.

47 Grand St., Albany, NY 12207–Reservations:465-6822

The Tuesday Menu collection in online, and displayed up through April 05.

woodburner

Cafe Capriccio truely is the restaurant that sets the bar high in the Albany area.

Robert R

When we lived in the area, we used to eat at Cafe Capriccio several times a month. Great atmosphere, simple and delicious food. But I heard that Ross (the chef) left, and that the food went downhill. Did they just get someone new in the kitchen? Do Julia and her dad still play jazz on Friday nights?

allison

When we lived in the area, we used to eat at Cafe Capriccio several times a month. Great atmosphere, simple and delicious food. But I heard that Ross (the chef) left, and that the food went downhill. Did they just get someone new in the kitchen? Do Julia and her dad still play jazz on Friday nights?

The cafe still does jazz on Friday evenings, it changes on a regular basis as to performer(s).

As far as the food goes, business seems to be healthy.

woodburner

Jennifer Hewes has been the chef for some time now. She seems to be keeping the high standards up. We used to enjoy the tasting menus in the separate next door facility billed as the "Cafe Capriccio Wine and Food Society", where about a dozen guests would be entertained as Jim and staff cooked, told stories, listened to Italian opera, etc. These dinners were usually Thurs-Fri-Sat evenings. It appears that they are slightly re-naming the concept and moving it to Tuesday. The themes seem to be similar. Not sure why or what they may do with the space otherwise. I know it was a lot of work, thought fun, for them. They also do a lot of private parties, etc. Always a great experience. A little disappointing personally since those kind of things tend to be harder to attend mid-week.

Mark A. Bauman

I grew up in Albany many years ago. Don't know much about Albany's restaurant scene lately, though. When I go back I stay with friends in Troy. I love the clams steamed in beer at the Troy Pub & Brewery on River Street (now called Brown's I think). They brew their own, too. Don't remember which ones I had, but none were stinkers. They have a huge outdoor deck overlooking the Hudson. Wonderful place to go on a nice evening. This past Mother's Day, we had rervations at Castaways (also on River St). However, people coming out were grumbling about overbooking, excruciating slow service and lousy or misplaced food. So rather than submit outselves to that, someone suggested the Red Front on Divison St. Now this is the Italian restaurant type we grew up with as kids and spent many a Friday night in with our parents and their friends. Red sauce, old wooden booths, waitresses who remember you even though you haven't been there in a coon's age. We had a great time. I loved the food since you don't find it much here in Cincy. I also got to play that keno game that NY bars have. Not that I won anything, of course. I'm looking forward to going back this spring. Oh, also. River Street Cafe in Troy. Small, wonderful food, very nice wine list including a surpring bottle from Standing Stone vineyards (finger lakes?).

• 1 year later...

Try Avenue A off New Scotland in Albany. Great paninis! The dinner menu is great too, though I haven't been yet. Some Korean-inspired dishes, but lots of other influences too. Several good reports on dinner. Decent wine list.