• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chick-fil-a in SoCal

jschyun

Well, I just had a gander at the less-than-a-month old Chick-fil-a outlet here in Irvine, CA and I was impressed and scared at the possibility of yet another chain crowding the landscape. They also have one in Chino Hills, and another somewhere in CA, I forget, maybe Corona? They're planning 2 in San Diego, and a bunch of other places in the Southland. I forgot to ask about Northern CA.

Chick-fil-A

I have to say, I like their lemon meringue pie, esp for $1.50 a slice. The Irvine branch had 17 4 seater booths, and 19 4 seater tables, so it's a big restaurant. Plus they have alittle junge gym thingie for kids. It's times like these that make me realize I need a digital camera.

I should ahve gotten the sandwich, but I had a small appetite this morning and only got nuggets, fries and a drink. I'll go there a couple times more and tell you what I think. Maybe I'll even go to the Encino one.

Everyone was exceptionally friendly, almost too friendly. "Hi, welcome to Chick-fil-a! It will be my pleasure to serve you today!" It took a couple seconds for me to react to this, but then I remembered something or other about Southern hospitality and then had no problems.

Anyhow, FYI.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

There are FAR worse chains you could be stuck with than Chick-Fil-a for dotting the landscape in California. And they make a damnned good chicken sandwich -- probably the best fast food chicken sandwich you can buy, with Ranch 1 at a close second.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I guess I'll offer up the dissenting opinion here. Chick-Fil-A sucks, at least the location in Del Amo Mall (Torrance, CA) does.

My last visit, well over a year ago, was just miserable. Microwaved chicken, limp/translucent lettuce, mayo that was questionable. I took the sandwich back and asked for another, but it was only slightly better.

However, I'm always willing to give any restaurant multiple chances to make up after a screw-up like that. The next time I'm in Irvine, I'll give it a shot...

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Man -- Chick-fil-a. That really takes me back to my youth -- spending Sunday afternoon strolling the mall, hoping a popular girl would stop and talk to me -- or dreading it! And having a chick-fil-a or two for lunch. Those were damn good eats. We don't have a smiley for drooling -- a serious ommission for eGullet! So instead, I'll use this: :raz:

Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"

Apparently, the Irvine location is the biggest in CA, according to the countergal at least.

My chicken nuggets were small, but fresh from the fryer, all white meat with a crunchy coating that stuck to the chicken and didn't fall off. My lemon meringue pie was pretty damn good, sweet, yet lemony, with a decent meringue that wasn't weeping or anything. My fries were stale, but it was early in the morning, so maybe people just don't order fries at that hour. They usually don't serve chicken sandwiches either, but they let us do it anyway.

--Now that I know about them being in CA, I'll try to go to the various locations and see how the food compares. I'm all over the place anyway.

Edited by jschyun (log)

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

There are FAR worse chains you could be stuck with than Chick-Fil-a

for sure. Although it has been at least 3 years since I last had one as I no longer travel to the south where I've had most of my C-F-A's.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be"

There's a Chick-fil-a at the Solano Mall in Fairfield (NoCal) and has been there for quite a while. I've lived here for over 20 years and it may not have been here that long, but it's been around. Not open on Sundays, of course.

Rich Kane did a review on Chick-fil-A in OC Weekly this week

ROTFLMAO!!@!1! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

CHICK-FIL-A, 13490 JAMBOREE RD., IRVINE, (714) 730-9100. OPEN MON.-SAT., 6:30 A.M.-10 P.M. NO ALCOHOL, JESUS TURNING WATER INTO WINE NOTWITHSTANDING. DINNER FOR TWO, $10-$15, FOOD ONLY. ALL MAJOR CREDIT CARDS ACCEPTED.

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth