• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grocery shopping over the border

Marlene

We're getting ready for a road trip in our RV. We're heading towards Nashville with a few stops along the way, including the Mammoth Caves (not for me, I hate caves) :blink: We'll be leaving next Thursday so we've a bit of time yet.

The thing is, crossing the border in an RV is a bit of a pain because we can't bring any meat or dairy products with us. Where we cross will depend on what RV sites are open this time of year. It will either be Port Huron or Buffalo I suspect. Port Huron is the preferred crossing, but I haven't found an RV site that's open yet at this time of year. :unsure:

Anyone have any ideas on where to stop for groceries after either of these border crossings? Preferably one that doesn't require us to drive the rig through Main Street, USA. Something just off the highway would be great.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

In Buffalo (actually Tonawanda., I think) there are two huge branches of Tops and Wegmans on Maple. It's a cross street that you can get to from the highway that rings Buffalo, the 290 or I 90 or something, you'd have to check a map to be sure. I *think* you can take the Millersport Highway exit.

Both these grocery stores are fabulous, and open 24 hours a day.

In Buffalo (actually Tonawanda., I think) there are two huge branches of Tops and Wegmans on Maple. It's a cross street that you can get to from the highway that rings Buffalo, the 290 or I 90 or something, you'd have to check a map to be sure. I *think* you can take the Millersport Highway exit.

Both these grocery stores are fabulous, and open 24 hours a day.

Get off at Millersport off of 290 and take the Maple road ramp and make a left. The wegman's is the preferred choice and is a mile or so on the left. They have a Charlie the Butcher set up in the prepared foods section. Get a beef on weck with lots of horseradish....best sandwich in the world!

There is also a smaller Wegmans if you come up from the South on Rt. 90 near the Galleria Mall that is an easier on/off of the highway. You would have to find out the exit number though. I think it is on Walden

Try the Dinosaur Barbecue sauce, usually in stock at Wegmans. It's usually $2.49 on sale, I bring it home by the case. My family demands it.

You can order it online by the case too, as I found out after moving down to VA. hell with the sauce just map out your trip to go through Syracuse and stop at the restaurant, or even Rochester (havent been to that location)!

Thanks, this is perfect. I think we will be crossing into Buffalo. :smile:

Marlene

Another quick question. Does Wegman's carry wine/spirits? Or is there another store nearby it?

Thanks for all the help!

Marlene

Another quick question. Does Wegman's carry wine/spirits? Or is there another store nearby it?

Thanks for all the help!

they have wine i believe, but you can only have liquor in an actual liquor store in NY.

BUT, if you are crossing into Canada just go to the duty free shop and they have really great deals. In fact do this any way even if you weren't planning on it. Last time I was up there I got two 1.3 litre bottles of grey goose for $40 and they also have great deals on Macallan and other single malts (that is all I drink but they also have deals on other liquor/cigarettes/perfume, etc). You can also stock up on cheap cases of Labatt Blue, which is a must if you are going to be in Canada!

I live in Canada :biggrin: . Labatts Blue is a way of life here :biggrin: . I wondered because of the restrictions on the amount of alcohol you're allowed to bring into the States for personal consumption. Not that we're heavy drinkers you understand :rolleyes: , but I doubt if we can bring our CC, Scotch for Don, martini fixin's and wine across the border. Not to mention the Bailey's for coffee in the morning (a must when one is on vacation in a motorhome :biggrin: )

Marlene

good call on crossing at Buffalo. The crossings are a little slower here in Michigan. It'll take you longer to get through customs in Port Huron. Takes even longer in Windsor, for what that's worth.

As long as you are in Canada, you should buy some beer. Labatts sold in in Canada tastes about 12 times better than the stuff they import for us to drink here.

i think you can bring in one bottle per person....but err .... I think that is more of a suggestion if you catch my drift...

Also, coming down from Canada I dont know what kind of deals they have. I always buy on the way up into America Jr.

I always buy on the way up into America Jr.

I refuse to rise to this :biggrin::raz:

Marlene

They only have beer at the grocery stores in New York State. Spirits and wine are sold in separate stores.

The Premier group is your best bet if you want something special in spirits you didn't find in the duty free shop. Or a really nice bottle of wine. Any of the branches would be easy enough to get to, I think the Transit Rd. branch would be closest to the Wegmans or kind of on your way back to the highway heading south. But the Delaware branch has a cafe and gourmet store attached. It's actually a decent place for lunch.

E-mail Premier if you're interested, they have really good service.

http://www.premiergroup.net/

One more fact that might come in handy, most wine and spirit stores in New York state are closed on Sundays, they can open Sunday if they close another day of the week.

Had to mention that in case you were going out of your way for a wine store and were disappointed when it was closed.