• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2004 "RAMMY" Nominees and Winners

morela

Mark, I don't see the winners listed on the website. Who won for Best New Restaurant?

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Matchbox won best new restaurant!

Before anyone chimes in and screams FOUL!, Matchbox must be considered a hilariously great choice that thumbs its nose at convention and authority.

And congratulations to vandyhoo's brother, Graig Glufling, chef at Matchbox.

FOUL!

I'll post the list because I think people are interested in it. That said, I don't know a single restaurant professional who thinks these "awards" are anything more than a joke, a farce, a travesty, and a means to obtain a bit of free PR.

What does it even mean, "of the year?"

Here they are,

Rocks.

-------------

Neighborhood Gathering Place of the Year: Lebanese Taverna, DC

Hottest Bar Scene of the Year: Zola

Power Spot of the Year: The Palm, DC

New Restaurant of the Year: Matchbox

Fine Dining Restaurant of the Year: Marcel's

Casual Dining Restaurant of the Year: Jaleo

Chef of the Year: Roberto Donna, Galileo

Restaurant Employee of the Year: Rod Wolfe, Finn & Porter

Pastry Chef of the Year: David Guas, Ceiba/DC Coast/TenPenh

Wine and Beverage Program of the Year: Kinkead's

Restaurant Manager of the Year: David Moran, Old Ebbitt Grill

Industry Ambassador of the Year: William and Patricia Anton, Anton Airfood,

Inc.

Rising Culinary Star of the Year: Jonathan Krinn, 2941

RAMW Associate Member of the Year: Patterson//Smith Associates

Where Magazine Visitors Choice Award: McCormick & Schmick's Seafood

Restaurant

or isn't this an opportunity for the DC restaurant community to get together, have a few drinks, talk some shop, recognize some of the industry leaders in the area, and draw attention to the fine area independent restaurants as opposed to the big national chains... :biggrin:

or isn't this an opportunity for the DC restaurant community to get together, have a few drinks, talk some shop, recognize some of the industry leaders in the area, and draw attention to the fine area independent restaurants as opposed to the big national chains... :biggrin:

Like McCormick and Schmicks?

Bill Russell

I must also give it up for Matchbox ( true I'm a friend of the chef for many years ) It's not a fine dining joint..but they do it well and without a lotta pretense...good on 'em

listen to Black Sabbath..often