• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hina Matsuri

torakris

Fortunately the grocery store had a large number of sakura mochi available. I bought the ones that came in a package of four individually-wrapped mochi. Unfortunately I don't have a photo because I forgot to take my camera, but one of my classmates took a photo, so I'll post it if she sends it to me.

I ended up buying 16 mochi, and it only cost me around US$12. So, not so bad. I had a lot of extras, though. It was the last day of classes before spring break, so I guess people didn't show up. :wacko: So I just took all the extras next door and passed them out to all of our sensei. I couldn't eat more than one - they're too sweet!

I eat the leaf, but many of my classmates removed it. It was a fun day. I still want chirashi sushi for dinner but my boyfriend is returning from a business trip and he doesn't like it, so it might have to wait until tomorrow.

Jennie

Hina Matsuri 2006

chirashizushi made with myoga, shiso and kaiware (daikon sprouts) as well as anago

gallery_6134_2590_34461.jpg

hamaguri (clam) soup, I should have sprung for the more expensive clams as these ones weren't very good

gallery_6134_2590_23690.jpg

we had a couple other (non-traditional) dishes and for dessert I made (American style) strawberry shortcakes

gallery_6134_2590_5481.jpg

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

we had a couple other (non-traditional) dishes and for dessert I made (American style) strawberry shortcakes

gallery_6134_2590_5481.jpg

All of your children can eat myoga? Neither of my kids likes it. :sad: I can't complain because I didn't like it either when I was small.

Good-looking shortcake! Is it a typical American shortcake? What is that at the bottom that looks like anko?

All of your children can eat myoga?  Neither of my kids likes it. :sad:  I can't complain because I didn't like it either when I was small.

Good-looking shortcake!  Is it a typical American shortcake?  What is that at the bottom that looks like anko?

My daughters both ate it but my son doesn't like it.

I would say it is fairly typical American shortcake but a chocolate version. The anko looking thing on the bottom is another piece of shortcake. :biggrin: I would have prefered more strawberries but they were really expensive and I only bought one container.

All of your children can eat myoga?  Neither of my kids likes it. :sad:   I can't complain because I didn't like it either when I was small.

Good-looking shortcake!  Is it a typical American shortcake?  What is that at the bottom that looks like anko?

My daughters both ate it but my son doesn't like it.

I would say it is fairly typical American shortcake but a chocolate version. The anko looking thing on the bottom is another piece of shortcake. :biggrin: I would have prefered more strawberries but they were really expensive and I only bought one container.

Thanks for a reply. Yours is a perfect example that clearly shows the difference between real shortcake and Japanese, which is actually sponge cake.

Lovely photos! I somehow didn't get any photos taken. We had chirashi-zushi with shiitake and nanohana mixed into it, and egg chunks and tuna on top.

I made a firm jelly using strawberrry puree and made flower cutouts with that, then dropped them into a half-set translucent white jelly made with Mitsuya White Cider, and let it finish setting. Really pleased with how it looked, and the slight fizz of the cider set off the intense strawberry flavor well.

• 11 months later...

For yesterday's Hina Matsuri I picked up some special Hina Masturi kamaboko.

gallery_6134_4148_65121.jpg

and served it with a simple chirashizushi

gallery_6134_4148_698105.jpg

Being in Sydney, Australia must be a totally different climate to that of Japan on March the 3rd.It was 35 degrees c yesterday in my home.Understandably my wife did not feel like cooking much in this heat.However, sticking partly to tradition,she made a very tasty chirashi sushi using this packet mix.

gallery_44148_4298_939542.jpg

This was the result.Sorry, not a very good photo.We served it with some mixed leaves and some deepfried chicken marinated in ginger,garlic and soy sauce.The rice was topped with sliced omelette and green beans.

gallery_44148_4298_1151209.jpg

My wife had the full set of dolls from a very early age. Recently her father had to move to a smaller house with less storage capacity.Unfortunately she had no choice but to donate most of the collection to the local temple.We now have in our pocession ,in Sydney, just the top two levels of the collection.

We were given a couple of tea candles the other day.We thought they looked good with the display.

gallery_44148_4298_1111198.jpg

sticking partly to tradition,she made a very tasty chirashi sushi using this packet mix.

It's kind of a personal question, but do you have a daughter?

The dolls look pretty... and expensive!

It's kind of a personal question, but do you have a daughter?

The dolls look pretty... and expensive!

No we don't have any kids. The complete doll set was given to my wife when she about a one year old little girl. Yes I believe it is quite expensive.

As the dolls are believed to have a soul, you can't just remove them from your life when you don't need them or no longer have the room for them.This is why the temple took care of that in the right way.

We made a kind of "galloping chirashi" yesterday, as I have lots of work on. Much the same as usual, except that I have taken to mixing black beans into the rice. I think the black really picks up the green/yellow/red colors of hina-chirashi well.

This year we topped it with ebi and salmon (main concern was elderly in-law's teeth!).

We don't have any daughters, and I didn't add my home-made hina to the line-up on top of our TV, because all the figurines there seem to be in tobi-ori mode at present, and it seemed a little inauspicious...

• 11 months later...
This is my daughter's hina dolls.

gallery_16375_5_88554.jpg

We are going to celerate Hina Matsuri with inari zushi, hamaguri soup, and strawberries with whipped cream among others.

My wife and I want to make chirashi zushi, but my daughter doesn't like it.  She doesn't like sakura mochi, either. :sad:

This year, we celerated Hina maturi today (March 2), mainly because it was Sunday today.

My daughter still doesn't care for chirashi, so I made inari zushi instead again, using this premade inari age:

gallery_16375_4595_4304.jpg

I make it a point to buy this particular brand of Misuzu Corporation. Other brands are not as good as this one.

I also made hamaguri clear soup.

As promised:

gallery_41378_5233_4150.jpg

I'm not happy with the dry-egg omelette - it wasn't nearly thin enough. The smoked salmon was great, though, and I can't believe I made sushi rice before going to work. I normally would be a bit hesitant to take raw fish in a bento, so that's the main reason I chose smoked salmon. At any rate, I only have a 20 minute commute on Mondays, and it's pretty cold here by the water! It went right into the fridge when I got to work. My co-worker was surprised I made my own chirashi sushi, and then was disappointed when she went out to get her own from the supermarket at lunch, and they were sold out. I promptly took some of mine out (It made a ton - that's an 800 ml box in the picture!) and gave it to her on a plate. I hope that wasn't too strange or anything, but she's had some dolls up for the last couple of weeks, and had puffed rice to give out to all the kids, so I didn't want her to miss out.

This year's chirashi zushi for girl's day

gallery_6134_5519_212047.jpg

I went for a very simple chunky look this year. I teach from 2 to 7pm on Mondays in addition to a morning class, so am really pressed for time. I used a prepared mix to add to the rice add topped it with omelet pieces (made earlier in the day) and nanohana (rapini) and salmon sashimi.

My Hina Matsuri dinner:

Stawberries and dango for dessert, a can of beer, quiche and salad, and a bento!

gallery_11355_5637_39971.jpg

My chirashizushi: tricoloured kamboko?? at the top (barely visible), crab legs, and a little piece of sashimi were the extras. The rice was mixed with peas and unagi, amongst other things.

gallery_11355_5637_32271.jpg

I liked the dango. I thought it would just be mochi, but it was filled with anko.

gallery_11355_5637_3784.jpg

Oops! I forgot the side dishes! Cherry-smoked ham and miso soup.

gallery_11355_5637_29398.jpg

My Hina Matsuri dinner was prepared by my neighbour/landlady. She does it for us every year, and it's one of the few things she actually cooks herself! It's a great honour to receive her bento, and I love all the extras she puts in--a can of beer! Who would have thought! I must confess, though, I don't really like chirashizushi. I try to eat as much of it as I can, but it usually isn't very much...

I forgot to add--I didn't actually eat all of that last night. I wasn't very hungry as we held our high school graduation and party yesterday. I ate as much of the bento as I could (all the crab legs and I fished through the rice for the eel), and the dango. The quiche and salad, and strawberries will be my lunch today, and the ham will probably be eaten over a few days. I don't really drink beer, so I might have to give it away.

Edited by prasantrin (log)

Wow! Love that bento - I agree, smoked salmon seems to be OK in bentos in cool weather. Have put su-jime (vinegared) fish in bento, I think.

I'll look out for that brand of inari, Hiroyuki - I used to always make the pouches myself, because the bought ones are so disappointing, but sometimes it's nice to have just a few to add to a bento. (One of my kids is a big inari-zushi fan too!)

Everybody all flu'd up at my house, so Dolls' Day got no further than strawberries skewered "dango" style with a thin layer of caramel "crackle" poured over them. Actually came from a DVD by Jamie Oliver, that well-known Japanese chef!

I'VE NEVER THOUGHT OF PUTTING RAW FISH IN A BENTO! ohmy.gif blink.gif

:biggrin:

I guess my irony wasn't clear! I would never put raw fish in a bento either :shock:

Wow! Love that bento - I agree, smoked salmon seems to be OK in bentos in cool weather.

Thanks! I'm glad you don't think the salmon was too risky. Because it was really, really good, and I'd like to make that more often.

<edited for quotes>

Edited by nakji (log)