• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hina Matsuri

torakris

Argh! Until I saw this thread, I had completely forgotten about Hina Matsuri this year! In my defense, my husband and I just moved to Bangkok in mid-February, so we've had a few other things on our minds...plus, our sea-mail shipment, containing my hina dolls, isn't arriving until around the first of April, so we couldn't really celebrate in the proper style anyway.

With all the Japanese restaurants and such around here, one would think I'd at least have seen something about Girl's Day so far!

Torakris, do you still do kimekomi? I study with a wonderful lady in the Washington, DC area (well, at least I did until the move), and I hope to find a teacher here in Bangkok. One of these days I am going to do a full set of hina ningyo.

• 11 months later...

Thank you, Rona, for the 'goodies'. When they arrived on Saturday, I googled to see what I can do with them, and, lo, I found that girl's day was just around the corner. What great timing! So, here's my 1st attempt at mochi-making, though it's not 100% authentic; I used thai glutinous rice flour. :unsure: I flavoured the red bean filling and the mochi with a bit of sakura essence. The saltiness left by the leaves was just perfect. For dinner, I made panfried miso salmon, kanpyo inari, lots of edamame, and, steamed purple sweet potatoes. You've made my girls very very happy indeed. Thank you!

gallery_12248_6507_15403.jpg

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

Beautiful! I still can't believe you got them so soon, and I'm glad your daughters enjoyed what you made with them--perfect timing!

I didn't have anything for Hina Matsuri this year except leftover pizza, as my neighbour gave us Setsubun treats this year, instead. :sad:

This year's Hina Matsuri was celebrated with chirashizushi and karaage. I made some fresh strawberry cupcakes for dessert.

gallery_6134_5519_118832.jpg

gallery_6134_5519_38815.jpg

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I just found this thread and am fascinated by the idea of celebrating girls. The foods you all have prepare are really beautiful. So many colors and textures. My eye caught the dolls. The man who made my wedding dress actually gave two of these dolls to us. I figured they were special, as they came from an antique shop, but I had no idea they were part of a traditional celebration. Can somebody tell me the significance of these two? Is there something special I should do with them during the year?

Is a food offering made to them?

gallery_41870_2503_134667.jpg

Also, if there is no little girl in the house (I have two boys) can you celebrate Moms instead?

I just found this thread and am fascinated by the idea of celebrating girls.  The foods you all have prepare are really beautiful.  So many colors and textures.  My eye caught the dolls.  The man who made my wedding dress actually gave two of these dolls to us.  I figured they were special, as they came from an antique shop, but I had no idea they were part of a traditional celebration.    Can somebody tell me the significance of these two?  Is there something special I should do with them during the year?

Is a food offering made to them?

gallery_41870_2503_134667.jpg

Also, if there is no little girl in the house (I have two boys) can you celebrate Moms instead?

I think the dolls are meoto (married couple) bina (< hina = dolls).

Images of meoto bina

What to do with them? Just place them where you want them, I suppose. I don't think any food is offered to them.

Finally, hina matsuri is for girls! :biggrin:

Boy's festival is held on May 5.

• 2 years later...