• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Questions for the new Iron Chefs?

Chris Cognac

Chris -- Downtown! You were downtown and you didn't call! I could have been your assistant! Honest, I don't take up much space.

Just kidding. This sounds great and I look forward to reading your article and seeing your pix.

Jody

So long and thanks for all the fish.

I was on a plane once with Bobby Flay, and he was the nicest guy in the world.

He talked food with some kids who recognized him for about 20 min, and anybody who takes the time to talk with the kids is ok.

Wow, what kind of kids were they? They only recognized him for 20 minutes. What happened, did they suddenly forget who he was?

I was on a plane once with Bobby Flay, and he was the nicest guy in the world.

He talked food with some kids who recognized him for about 20 min, and anybody who takes the time to talk with the kids is ok.

Wow, what kind of kids were they? They only recognized him for 20 minutes. What happened, did they suddenly forget who he was?

No, I suddenly forgot how to write a proper sentence in english.

Or is that the same thing?

As a follow up to this thread, apparently, Alton Brown was rushed from the set of Iron Chef yesterday with heart problems. Fortunately, all is ok. check it out:

Alton Brown's Rants & Raves

I just talked to him 20 mins ago, he is fine and its nothing major.

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

He needs to learn to use frontpage or at least use a carrage return so his page isn't so wide.

NO ONE SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO USE FRONTPAGE! Yes, I'm shouting.

It's an artless abomination devised by minions of Gates to thwart Macintosh users. It's despicable. I can't (and won't) go into all its failings, but anyone who designs websites with FrontPage is using an antiquated torture device. (I know Microsoft people who admit that it's one of their crappiest products, because they abandoned Macintosh users in the Beta testing, presumably with the same kind of narrow-minded idiocy that hallmarks that entire organization.) You should see some of those pages load: like a huge velvet curtain sloooooooowly sinking to the stage while the ghastly backgrounds load. Twenty seconds or more sometimes. It gives web designers who at least attempt work with cross-compatability issues the heebie-jeebies.

icon7.gif

The simple use of an 800-pixel wide table is all Alton Brown's lazy web designer needs to implement to constrain the pages to an acceptable width.

I did love this from AB's site:

Georgia state school Superintendent Kathy Cox has decided that the word “evolution” is “…a buzzword that causes a lot of negative reaction” and should be replaced in all Georgia school curriculum with the phrase “biological changes over time”.

I agree. I hate buzzwords, don’t you? That’s why I think we should go one further and replace the phrase “slack-jawed backwater ignoramus” with the phrase “Kathy Cox”.

Just a suggestion.

AB

My friend who worked at French Culinary Institute met BF and said he couldn't be nicer. I believe her, but I do completely disrespect the show of ego with him jumping on the cutting board.

Has Bobby Flay ever addressed the whole standing on the cutting-board issue? I'm perfectly willing to accept the idea that he can be really personable, and maybe he just didn't see how offensive that gesture would seem to many (especially the japanese) in the audience.

Has he ever indicated what his intent was? To taunt? To goad? Simply to express enthusiasm? I'd love to hear an explanation from him, even if it's just a "WTF are they tawkin 'bout?!" dismissive comment.

And Tana, how do you really feel about FrontPage? :laugh:

Rachel and tanabutler,

It's actually a result of a photo that's too wide. FYI, this site does the same thing when a photo that is too wide is posted. It's just a feature/failure of HTML and web browsers. What they need to do is either resize the image or set the dimensions smaller in the HTML (although I imagine it's a blog system that doesn't have such fine controls).

What I really want to know, though, is a) what was it that AB ate that made him so sick? b) Was it because of Flay's cutting board?

It's actually a result of a photo that's too wide.

You're right! Alton needs a spellchecker and to learn how to resize his images. Or his web person should take care of things for him. And he needs a decent digital camera.

I respect the talent, but I hate that he makes his page look so unprofessional and techno-clueless. Please, Alton, leave it to the professionals. Don't try this at home!

I just talked to him 20 mins ago, he is fine and its nothing major.

...man you get the best scoops...

Glad it's nothing major...thought maybe it was something Flay prepared...

I have got some stuff in the works that might be even better, but cant say till I am sure!

The Hungry Detective

It's actually a result of a photo that's too wide.

You're right! Alton needs a spellchecker and to learn how to resize his images. Or his web person should take care of things for him. And he needs a decent digital camera.

I respect the talent, but I hate that he makes his page look so unprofessional and techno-clueless. Please, Alton, leave it to the professionals. Don't try this at home!

just to let you know...he did the update from his hospital and hotel room, give the guy some credit...man you guys can be brutal :wacko:

The Hungry Detective

Chris, anyone who has the ability to post from ANY computer (especially the kind that dear Alton can afford) has the ability to spellcheck and modify image sizes.

He's excused if his posting is aberrant, because I've been sick all day and I can't do a lot of things with my brain.

Not trying to be difficult.

Chris, anyone who has the ability to post from ANY computer (especially the kind that dear Alton can afford) has the ability to spellcheck and modify image sizes.

He's excused if his posting is aberrant, because I've been sick all day and I can't do a lot of things with my brain.

Not trying to be difficult.

you will be pleased to know he is an Apple guy (powerbook). I myself and typing this on my new 20 inch Imac...but I cant stand the keyboard and it really makes me screw stuff up with double tasp etc...oh well..oh i got some of the questions back from Sakai yesterday (I gave him a list)...here they are!

Questions to Iron Chef Mr. Sakai by Mr. Chris Cognac

1) What is the hardest part about being an Iron Chef?

(Answer)

I always have to invent new dishes.

2) Can we expect to see any new restaurants in the near future?

(Answer)

If we have a chance including the investor, we would like to have a restaurant in U.S.

3) Have/Will any of the dishes invented in Kitchen Stadium makes it onto the menus of your restaurants?

(Answer)

Yes we have several dishes, which were invented during the Iron Chef show in Japan.

This time, we are planning to add the ÅgTrout Ice creamÅh onto our restaurant menu.

Of course we need to improve it before do so.

4) Your cuisine is said to appeal to women, do you think that true, if so why?

(Answer)

Yes, it is true.

My cuisine is Artistic, Fashionable and Healthy.

We use many kinds of vegetables and source on our dishes are not thick as the ordinary French cuisine.

The Hungry Detective

WOW, Chris, what a cool website! I am really in awe of your talent. Are you also fulltime at your other detective work? The spider and the fly thing were excellent.

Thanks for the complement, I will tell my uncle Daryl Dragon (the Capt. half of Capt and Tennille) as he is the guy that keeps it going and made it...and yes I am a full time Police Detective and also a part time police helicopter tactical flight officer...I will do that tonight, glad you like the site...I hope to have some good things working soon!

The Hungry Detective

4) Your cuisine is said to appeal to women, do you think that true, if so why?

(Answer)

Yes, it is true.

My cuisine is Artistic, Fashionable and Healthy.

We use many kinds of vegetables and source on our dishes are not thick as the ordinary French cuisine.

Oh thank you, Chris for asking my questions!!! :smile:

Kitchen Stadium does look way cool, you're right about that. I now very much look forward to watching the show when it airs.

BTW, do you think Sakai san meant sauce instead of source?

Edited by TrishCT (log)