• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Questions for the new Iron Chefs?

Chris Cognac

Boston University's School of Hospitality Administration will be hosting "Aluminim Cook", a take off of Iron Chef in which competitors (teams of 2 from each school within BU) will be given a MicroFridge (combination Fridge + Microwave) and a secret ingredient, complete with judges, and commentary.

All are invited to come, ill let you know of the dates, and I think its $5. I believe its the first or second sunday in April. It's gonna be a hoot.

Andrew Baber

True I got more fans than the average man but not enough loot to last me

to the end of the week, I live by the beat like you live check to check

If you don't move yo' feet then I don't eat, so we like neck to neck

A-T-L, Georgia, what we do for ya?

The Gentleman Gourmand

• 3 weeks later...

They're showing dates and some glimpses from the battles on their ads now. Here's the site:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_ia

They start on 4.23. There are four episodes and a preview. The battles are:

1: Flay v Sakai

2: Morimoto v Batali

3: Morimoto v Puck

4: Morimoto & Flay v Sakai & Batali

They also note that Sakai is opening a restaurant in Hawaii this year.

They also note that Sakai is opening a restaurant in Hawaii this year.

Hawaii? If memory serves...this is nowhere near me in CT...someone messed up here! :wink:

Chris,

Now that FN has made their announcements and is actively showing clips...can you share more info with us? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Chris,

Now that FN has made their announcements and is actively showing clips...can you share more info with us? Thanks!

What happened to our inside scoop from our ace reporter...? The show's about to broadcast. :sad:

1. Anything interesting or exciting happen, if so what?

2. Did they really cook everything in an hour?

3. Was anyone frazzled...or especially cool under pressure?

4. Any mishaps?

5. Any escaping eels or cephalopods?

6. What dish(es) looked especially good...bad...

7. What, if anything, knocked your socks off?

8. How did the "Chairman" do?

9. Witticisms/comments from the judges?

10. Was Miss Cleo a judge, substituting for the japanese fortune teller?

11. Did Flay in any way, shape or form redeem himself, or de minimus, not embarass the USA?

12. What was the theme ingredient(s)?

13. Was any seafood sorbet made?

Which episode...I went to the Morimoto/Flay v Batali/Sakai match and didnt see anything like that. Bobby is a pretty nice guy based on my 2 times speaking to him at the shoot and for the interview in USA Weekend..I think alot of it is hype, if he did jump up on the counter, it was a calculated move to get people talking....which they will!

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

1. Anything interesting or exciting happen, if so what?

2. Did they really cook everything in an hour?

3. Was anyone frazzled...or especially cool under pressure?

4. Any mishaps?

5. Any escaping eels or cephalopods?

6. What dish(es) looked especially good...bad...

7. What, if anything, knocked your socks off?

8. How did the "Chairman" do?

9. Witticisms/comments from the judges?

10. Was Miss Cleo a judge, substituting for the japanese fortune teller?

11. Did Flay in any way, shape or form redeem himself, or de minimus, not embarass the USA?

12. What was the theme ingredient(s)?

13. Was any seafood sorbet made?

Wow...ok here it goes

1. Yes there was a pretty good size fire when Morimoto was grilling some items..

2. Yes they did, there is a big timer on the set...but soome prep work is done beforehand

3. No, they were all really cool...in fact they finished early

4. See #1

5. No..I think Food Network put soome thought into the theme ingredient and strayed away from Octopus and Turtle type stuff..we as Americans are a litttle more squeamish!

6. Sakai made a potato wrapped Langostino that looked amazing

7. The entire process and how complex it is...and the amount of brand new all clad stuff on set

8. He did great, very serious

9. i couldnt here them...its different..they are not featured like the old show

10.No...isnt she in jail?

11.Flay was a pro the entire time and cooked some great stuff

12. Which one?

13. Not Sorbet........

The Hungry Detective

Did you think the Flay episode was fixed?

I could NOT believe he leapt up onto the counter again, cutting board or no. Talk about The Ugly American.

I think this post refers to the episodes which reran on Friday and Saturday, the 2000 Flay/Morimoto shows done in NY and Japan.

I'm a little confused by about the last 3-4 posts for some reason. However, I will say that as a huge Iron Chef fan, I'm totally pumped about the new Iron Chef America. FoodTV has done a great job promoting it! I guess I'm a little susceptible to this sort of thing. :wub:

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

So we know the ingredient is either potato or langostine.

I vote for potato

Where will the article appear?

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I could NOT believe he leapt up onto the counter again, cutting board or no. Talk about The Ugly American.

I think this post refers to the episodes which reran on Friday and Saturday, the 2000 Flay/Morimoto shows done in NY and Japan.

Oh, I didn't know that was a re-run. But nonetheless, he jumped on the countertop twice, right?

Or more than that?

What nauseating arrogance. How embarrassing to be an American in those circumstances, around someone so unprofessional and insulting to his hosts.

Now of course I am wondering if my guess of potatoes as the secret ingredient was correct... :cool:

Hmm...and if not a seafood sorbet....gasp... an ice cream?? Too funny!

Chris, thank you so much for the tid bits, I will definitely be tuning in. The tv promos have been very effective as well for generating interest.

Oh, I didn't know that was a re-run. But nonetheless, he jumped on the countertop twice, right?

Or more than that?

What nauseating arrogance. How embarrassing to be an American in those circumstances, around someone so unprofessional and insulting to his hosts.

He jumped up on the cutting board both times.

So we know the ingredient is either potato or langostine.

I vote for potato

Where will the article appear?

Its going to be the feature weds food section article in the Daily Breeze....dailybreeze.com will have it, but without pics!..I will post a link if I can

Trish....yes!...but to which ?

Mabelline... I didnt see any ostrich eggs, but it could have been another battle....

The Hungry Detective

Pardon, Chris Cognac san,

But Yes...what? But to which... what?

I can tell you, you are right!...I can not be any more specific...plus it would ruin the fun..Plus it would get posted on Iron Fans.com just like he posted my Kitchen Staduim photo from my web site!...but at least they credited e gullet!

Only time I have seen Ostrich eggs was in Fear Factor!

The Hungry Detective

Pardon, Chris Cognac san,

But Yes...what? But to which... what?

I can tell you, you are right!...I can not be any more specific...plus it would ruin the fun..Plus it would get posted on Iron Fans.com just like he posted my Kitchen Staduim photo from my web site!...but at least they credited e gullet!

Only time I have seen Ostrich eggs was in Fear Factor!

Gotcha! :smile:

Off topic, Chris, but please, next time you're in China Buffet, would you respectfully ask if they are related to the folks in Billings? I'd be intrigued to know. We have one here too, and the folks and the place are so darn good, I can't believe it's a coincedence.