• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Questions for the new Iron Chefs?

Chris Cognac

Yea, he meant sauce..its a typo! I hope I dont get busted for having the picture on my web site...Now my ambition is to be a judge on Iron Chef, but only if its like battle Kobe Beef or Battle Lobster. I suggested Battle Spam or Velveeta to the FoodTV guys...they agreed it might be fun. I think that a standard household ingredient would be neat to use in a battle.

What do you think, which "regular" ingredient would be best?

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

Cream of Mushroom -- it'd really have to be Campbell's -- would be fun, though all these white trash cooking ingredients (sorry, but it's true and I grew up on them as well) somewhat betray the original motives of the show to be taken seriously and to take the regional/local angle that ICJ always seemed to. It's more in the door-knock dinners quirky creations camp. It may be over-the-top gimmicky. However, if it's going to be done, maybe hamburger. Hamburger doesn't have to be treated like a white trash ingredient. You're really pretty much stuck with the nature of Velveeta, Campbell's CofM Soup, and SPAM. If these ingredients are going to be done, I'd prefer them to come once the show has gained some credibility. Seems like a ploy that would have fit too well with Shatner announcing it.

Battle Jello just has a certain ring to it doesn't it?

BTW, count me in for a Captain and Tenille special.  Hope love has kept them together.

Would you have time for he Jello to set?...and yes love has kept them together!

In the case of battle jello, there would have to be an exception to the one hour rule. :raz: mmm...raspberry...

I agree, a good trailer park ingredient would have to wait until it became a real challenge...I mean how great would it be o have a bunch of guys expecting truffles, have to work with velveta or spam instead...that actually might throw them for a loop!

The Hungry Detective

What do you think, which "regular" ingredient would be best?

Wonder Bread.

I've always wanted to see that...it's my dream trash ingredient. I mean, would someone come up with a gourmet take on the classic fluffernutter?

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

[Thanks for the complement, I will tell my uncle Daryl Dragon (the Capt. half of Capt and Tennille)

HOLD ON!!! I can't let this pass unnoticed..Toni Tenille and Daryl Dragon are related to you? Forget being impressed with oyr food contacts and the Iron Chef thing..I am now filled with "muskrat love" for you!

PS, I was a member of their fan club. I had a Toni Tenille haircut, too.

Chris,

I may have missed this...

But in the new series you said Alton Brown was playing "Doc." Who is playing Kaga, Ota (the reporter) and Fukui-san. And I soooo wish Miss Cleo was playing the "fortune teller."

Does anyone know when this is going to actually air?  I've enjoyed reading this thread, Chris.  Thanks!

April 23rd it will start, I can't publish anything about it until the weds before so I will have to be vague in my descriptions of things. I think everyone will be pleased with it,I know I was.

Sashimi,welcome to e gullet!

Late to this tread but enjoying it all...good job Chris, but no one welcomed me... :sad:

Some people weave burlap into the fabric of our lives, and some weave gold thread. Both contribute to make the whole picture beautiful and unique."-Anon

Chris,

I may have missed this...

But in the new series you said Alton Brown was playing "Doc." Who is playing Kaga, Ota (the reporter) and Fukui-san. And I soooo wish Miss Cleo was playing the "fortune teller."

Alton is doing the job of Fukua San and Doc Hatori and the job of Ohta is being done by Kevin Brauch from the thirsty traveler (nice guy too), the Chairman is Mark Decascos from film. I have some great pics...if you want to see tthe new kitchen stadium you can find a photo on my site...i am too chicken to post it here!...plus to stupid to figure out how to do it!

Off to Vegas!

The Hungry Detective

Late to this tread but enjoying it all...good job Chris, but no one welcomed me... :sad:

Welcome to eGullet, Barb48

Why thanks alot mnebergall! I now officially feel like part of your big happy family... :biggrin:

Some people weave burlap into the fabric of our lives, and some weave gold thread. Both contribute to make the whole picture beautiful and unique."-Anon

So, Batali, Flay, and Puck? East Coast, Southern, and West Coast iron chefs (even though Batali is from Seattle, Puck from Austria, and Flay from NY)? Or is it Italian, SW, and California? Or is it just the three guys with some name recognition on the network who were willing to do it? I'm amazed how much Batali is willing to do on the network. Where does he find the time? Doesn't he have like 20 gazillion restaurants to run? You should have asked him that, Mr. Detective: "Don't you have a real job?"

Man, I practially missed the whole topic! But anyway, I'm done whining. I'll give my takes on what I read in about 5 minutes of my time:

Battles: Dear God. Flay/Morimoto? Sounds strange to hear that for the first time. I thought I was going to fall into a dead faint, to tell the truth. Hey, but I think that they were able to pull it off. Seems impossible in other's eyes, but in mine...it was possible. I'll have to wait for that. Otherwise, I thought that I could live with the other scheduled battles.

Stadium in Picture: Well, let me tell you...it's more than what I thought it would be. I never thought that I would be looking at a really nice set-up to a place that I always dreamed of being in. (Okay, that's never going to happen. So what?) At least by the panel photographs, you can't really tell if they have special costumes on or not. Maybe they're in their chef whites. Only time will tell.

Okay, I guess that's it. I'll be watching when it debuts on Food Network!

I think silver suits me so...

...but red is also for me!

Iron Chef Morimoto all the way!

From me, a fan of Iron Chef.

the Chairman is Mark Decascos from film.

As in the guy from Brotherhood of the Wolf? Hotter than Kaga although somewhat similar features. Plus he can go all kung fu on the iron chefs and competitors who get out of hand :D

If I could pick any theme ingredient it would be Battle Alcohol. But only if I got to be a judge.

I have at least two co-workers who are planning Iron Chef events among their friends - secret ingredients, battling cooks and all that. Anyone else seeing this phenomenon as a result of the new show?

--adoxograph

If I could pick any theme ingredient it would be Battle Alcohol. But only if I got to be a judge.

I have at least two co-workers who are planning Iron Chef events among their friends - secret ingredients, battling cooks and all that. Anyone else seeing this phenomenon as a result of the new show?

I actually thought about doing that in my backyard...Maybe we could have an e gullet Iron Chef event...oh that would be fun!

The Hungry Detective

If I could pick any theme ingredient it would be Battle Alcohol.  But only if I got to be a judge.

I have at least two co-workers who are planning Iron Chef events among their friends - secret ingredients, battling cooks and all that.  Anyone else seeing this phenomenon as a result of the new show?

I actually thought about doing that in my backyard...Maybe we could have an e gullet Iron Chef event...oh that would be fun!

A brilliant idea! The matchups would be awesome. I'd love to see a barbecue eGullet Iron Chef, too.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

If I could pick any theme ingredient it would be Battle Alcohol.  But only if I got to be a judge.

I have at least two co-workers who are planning Iron Chef events among their friends - secret ingredients, battling cooks and all that.  Anyone else seeing this phenomenon as a result of the new show?

eGullet Iron Chef? *pauses for a few seconds to think* Count me in (if this is really going to happen, of course).

I think silver suits me so...

...but red is also for me!

Iron Chef Morimoto all the way!

From me, a fan of Iron Chef.

OK..this backyard Iron Chef thing might work...We could do a west coast and east coast event...with 1 or 2 people on each coast as "chairman" and deciding on the theme ingredient (which would be the same and remain secret) then have a tasting panel in the backyards, then post photos on e gullet and let the collective e gullet community vote.....hhhmmmm..Maybe this could work...I think I might need to make some calls! I could totally do a story on this..what a blast....my house is kinda messy cause my 2 demons (3 and 7 yr old boys) and my back lawn is dead....but....I still might want to do it,unless of course someone else has a better place in socal...

This might be worth a new thread!

The Hungry Detective