• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Questions for the new Iron Chefs?

Chris Cognac

As a fan of the original IC, I don't like pairing-up one IC and one American Chef. Would prefer Americans v. Iron Chefs. I mean the whole point is to root for an underdog challenger that dares to take on the "culinary masters"... Now there is no underdog (Flay bashing aside) because you have an IC on each side.

The only fake exciting part is Flay working with Morimoto, his arch fake rival.

Ho and Hum. :hmmm:

I will enjoy watching Mario and Sakai san because both of them are wonderful chefs who cook with heart and dare I say-love for their cusine. Their styles are quite different and it will be fun to see if together they can create some magic. :wub:

As for the panel of celebrity judges...dub it. :raz:

Not trying to offend anyone here, I am new to this site, but - why is Bobby Flay in this again? He was awful the other times.

show me one person on this entire site who won't tune in to watch a flay-morimoto match-up. there's your answer.

Here's one person that won't watch. If the program is not run by the original Japanese production team then it will be a pale shadow of the orginal. The seriounes of the Japanese and the translation team were half the fun of the program. What other culture would make battle out of cooking? The last programs with Captain Kirk and the US production team were horrible. Bobby Flay is also not my favorite Chef being confined to the celeb category with Emeril who I refuse to watch or eat in his restaurants. I will watch Turner Classic Movies instead. I know what I'm getting and will not be dissapointed. -Dick

I just got back a few mins ago, I must say I was impressed and they pretty much stuck to the original formula. I got to meet and hang out with all of them (alton, flay, batali, morimoto) and found they were all very good guys and tthey went out of theyre way to answer questions etc. Nobody had any ego's at all, Alton was the coolest guy and did the play by play really well. Batali is aware of e gullet (more to come on that later) and Alton is into it as well.

I got the chat with the exec proraming director for quite some time (he is a big fan of you Tony B) and got to learn alot about how things are done. I got some great pics and will upload them when I can.

I think its going to do well and I wish them the best. I cant say much else as we were sworn to secrecy and I am not going to go back on my word about the theme ingrediant...but they are good!

I will post more when I can.

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

Flay has to cook WITH Morimoto? Oh yeah, thats gonna work well.

Not trying to offend anyone here, I am new to this site, but - why is Bobby Flay in this again? He was awful the other times. In fact... well... least said soonest mended I guess. :sad:

Not likely to offend - more likely to endear you to most around here.

My guess is Flay is in it because he is the network's biggest star who hasn't had a sitcom on NBC.

sooooo..... I'm guessing most of you here don't like the food network very much either? I mean - Sandra Lee? Please! :cool:

I like the suggestion of cooking Bobby Flay.

And to answer Tommy - I won't be tuning in. I really really don't like to see BF. Truly.

Too bad that all the people who know

how to run the country are busy driving

taxicabs and cutting hair.

--George Burns

No Kishi,No Miss Cleao...isnt she in jail?...and by the way,non of us were even close on the theme ingrediant. Now as for Bobby Flay I must say I was not expecting to get the time of day from him, but he was really down to earth and a decent guy. shot the breeze with me for quite some time and made time to come back and finish. The guy is into food and had some serious skills, one of the things he and morimoto were making was a green basil chili sauce that smelled amazing...The worse part for me was I had to eat drive through taco bell for dinner afterwards!

The guy from Thirsty Traveler is doing the "ohta" role, and well I might add. But I was still amazed with Alton Brown...The guy was doing to role of Fukai san and Satori san.Speaking of that, Torakris if you see this I will be on Fuji TV on the 8th..They loved my sushi shirt and interviewed me during the taping...it was cool!

The Hungry Detective

Chris - I'm curious - WHERE was the filming? Where was a kitchen stadium set-up in SoCal?

Or did you mention it previously in the thread and I missed it???

Edited by Carolyn Tillie (log)

It was at a studio in L.A. downtown.It was a really nice set up...I have never seen so many all clad pans in my life...I wonder what they do with them after the show...wish they would give them to me!

I am gonna try to post a picture but have to figure out how.

The Hungry Detective

Does anyone know when this is going to actually air?  I've enjoyed reading this thread, Chris.  Thanks!

April 23rd it will start, I can't publish anything about it until the weds before so I will have to be vague in my descriptions of things. I think everyone will be pleased with it,I know I was.

Sashimi,welcome to e gullet!

My article will be in either the weds food section or the Rave magazine in the Daily Breeze newspaper (dailybreeze.com) and maybe in all 12 Copley papers (which would be cool). It will run on the 21st or 23rd..I will post a link, but the online edition does not have photo's,some of which are really cool :biggrin:

Edited by Chris Cognac (log)

The Hungry Detective

So, Chris, out of curiosity, how did it come about that you got the invite to this? Was it through your Daily Breeze article or your website, or do you know?

:cool: Aren't I full of "inquiring minds" questions?!?!?! :cool:

Edited by Carolyn Tillie (log)

... Now as for Bobby Flay I must say I was not expecting to get the time of day from him, but he was really down to earth and a decent guy. shot the breeze with me for quite some time and made time to come back and finish. The guy is into food and had some serious skills, one of the things he and morimoto were making was a green basil chili sauce that smelled amazing...The worse part for me was I had to eat drive through taco bell for dinner afterwards!

nice to know - always like the unexpected.

I'll tune in on the 23rd.

Too bad that all the people who know

how to run the country are busy driving

taxicabs and cutting hair.

--George Burns

Oh, come on Chris, it's just you and me talking. Whisper. No one else will hear. I promise.

Okay, how about you just tell me if I'm wrong. If I'm right, you can just not say anything....

If you are wrong, I will tell you if you are wrong...but trust me, you guys will NEVER find out from me! I got the gig througha combinations of stuff..its a long story, I might be writing a bit for a major paper...just waiting for the call back..that would be cool!

It was a good day yesterday..Iron Chef...and a good tax return that day to boot!

The Hungry Detective

Chris, will you post a link to your article(s)? I will never remember to look 6 weeks from now?

How was the Iron Chef's English?

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I will post a new thread when it/they come out.I didnt get much time with Morimoto and asked the simple questions...one of which was submitted by hillvalley,the question was what was he thinking when he used Coke with Natto in Battle Natto....His answer was great...simply "I like Coke"!

The Hungry Detective

What was Morimoto thinking during the natto battle?  Coke and natto?

Things go better with Coke :wink:

Apparently Morimoto thinks so to :biggrin:

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Chris:

Are they only going to do the four episodes with the Iron Chefs from Japan? Or are there plans to have the US Iron Chefs take on other chefs from around the country/world? I would be rather disappointed if it is the former.

Chris:

Are they only going to do the four episodes with the Iron Chefs from Japan? Or are there plans to have the US Iron Chefs take on other chefs from around the country/world? I would be rather disappointed if it is the former.

Mario Batali,Wolfgang Puck and Bobby Flay are the new Iron Chef's! These 4 shows that they filmed are kind of a handing off of the baton from the Japanese Iron Chefs to the new chefs....It was good,I do thing you will like it from what I saw. Post production is another thing though and can change some stuff for better or worse.

Depending on how they do, ratings wise, the Food Network will make more.

The Hungry Detective