• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Questions for the new Iron Chefs?

Chris Cognac

These battles aren't as interesting. Morimoto vs Puck? Who exactly is the Iron Chef?

Isn't the Iron Chef supposed to have the advantage? Morimoto has done this a million times before. This is gonna be different from the original, where the Iron chef wins 4 out of 5 times.

These battles aren't as interesting. Morimoto vs Puck? Who exactly is the Iron Chef?

Isn't the Iron Chef supposed to have the advantage? Morimoto has done this a million times before. This is gonna be different from the original, where the Iron chef wins 4 out of 5 times.

perhaps they're both iron chefs? the original show had specials as well that pitted the iron chefs against each, singly and in teams.

For all the bad about Flay, he did take both battles quite seriously. That's more important than finding people you like. Afterall, in professional wrestling isn't it always the bad guys who make the most money?

They may have a hard time keeping actual Iron Chefs. We're a much larger country than Japan. What top chef can take weeks away from his real work to be an Iron Chef?

Anyone know when these new shows are going to be aired? And who's playing the obsequious and mildly irritating Ohta?

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

Wasn't around yesterday so just caught this thread now, here are some possible questions:

Sakai san:

"It has been said that your cooking especially appeals to women. Do you find that to be the case, and if so why do you think that is?"

"Would you consider opening a restaurant in the U.S.?" (Prefereably somewhere in

the Northeast where TrishCt can visit often.) O.K. you can leave out that last part...

"What is your favorite dish...whose cuisine excites you...?"

Morimoto san:

"On the original IC series you were often challenged by Japanese traditionalists who balked at your new style, have your innovations caught on in the Japanese culinary world?

Edited to add san.

Edited by TrishCT (log)

Here's a question: How much time before taping do you actually have to think up recipes?

I remember reading that the Japanese Iron Chef contestants were told that it would be one of three ingredients. So they each worked out menus for each of the three, and simply chose when the "surprise" ingredient came up.

Do any of the dishes they "invent" on the show make it to the menus at their restaurants?

What was Morimoto thinking during the natto battle? Coke and natto?

What do the original Iron Chefs think of the fact that many Japanese ingredients/dishes have made it into mainstream American food ie sushi at grocery stores?

Has American cusine influenced their cooking?

I can't wait to hear your report. Wish you could bring along a few "friends"!

Have a great time

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

What was Morimoto thinking during the natto battle? Coke and natto?

Things go better with Coke :wink:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Does anyone ever protest the butchering of animals on the show?(though they have gotten some lobster drunk first, which was nice). I'm thinking the turtle battle, for instance. But they don't exactly quickly pith their prey.

or the eel battles (where they nail the eels' heads to the counters before gutting them alive) or the crab battles (where they lop of their claws and feet so they can't scuttle away while the iron chef figures out what to do with them). i'm sure the american version will be much more sanitized.

I'm sure given the choice, each would prefer to work alone.

do you think they didn't have a choice? oh my.

The choices probably were (1) agree to team up, or (2) we will look for someone else.

another choice might have been

1) do a show for x dollars.

2) team up for 10x dollars.

or the eel battles (where they nail the eels' heads to the counters before gutting them alive) or the crab battles (where they lop of their claws and feet so they can't scuttle away while the iron chef figures out what to do with them). i'm sure the american version will be much more sanitized.

I love the cleaving live lobsters in half thing and watching each half writhe on the cutting board.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I love the cleaving live lobsters in half thing and watching each half writhe on the cutting board.

You're a sick man Jason :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.