• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Questions for the new Iron Chefs?

Chris Cognac

OK, I cant keep it secret anymore, I am going to the Weds taping of the new Iron Chef to write about it for my column. Its going to be Flay and Morimoto vs Batali and Sakai. I should get some interview time with them and the paper is sending a photographer along with me. So, what are the burning questions I should ask everyone involved, including Alton Brown who is doing commentary. I will also start a "what is the theme ingrediant going to be" contest..My guess is Lobster or some kind of poultry.

Edited by Chris Cognac (log)

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

i would put money on something exotic but distinctly american. Hazelnuts, or something.. maybe avocado. that would be a good one.

I would ask the Japanese chefs if the stakes are as high in these new contests as they were in the japanese contests: the shame, the tradition etc.

i'd also watch the makeup of the assistants (whether they are cronies of the american chef, the japanese or both) and how the language barrier is dealt with. Language problems exist in all kitchens, but rarely are two allstar chefs involved.

i expect a full report :)

"The Internet is just a world passing around notes in a classroom."

---John Stewart

my blog

I think hazelnuts are originally Italian.

It being in LA, they certainly could go for something like avocados, though I'd bet they go for something "sexier" like Lobster, Kobe beef, or truffles. Hopefully they'll follow in IC Japan's tradition of looking to seasonal ingredients and ingredients local to the challenging chefs.

A couple questions for Brown: how much longer does he plan on doing Good Eats. He has made a lot of shows now and I wouldn't be surprised if 1) he's getting burnt out, or 2) he feels like he's covering the same ground. Also, will they ever put out more than 3 shows per DVD, like a whole season, eg. Ugh!

I think some questions about cultural differences would be interesting. Why do Americans take it less seriously? How do American diners and food lovers differ from Japanese? Etc.

I have to admit, though, that most of my questions would be for the producers: what their intentions are, what their approach will be, what audience they're aiming for, etc.

Edited by ExtraMSG (log)

I'm thinking Okra. Everybody loves it and okra manipulation and cooking would make for riveting TV viewing.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Flay has to cook WITH Morimoto? Oh yeah, thats gonna work well.

Not trying to offend anyone here, I am new to this site, but - why is Bobby Flay in this again? He was awful the other times. In fact... well... least said soonest mended I guess. :sad:

Too bad that all the people who know

how to run the country are busy driving

taxicabs and cutting hair.

--George Burns

Not trying to offend anyone here, I am new to this site, but - why is Bobby Flay in this again? He was awful the other times. In fact... well... least said soonest mended I guess. :sad:

Not likely to offend - more likely to endear you to most around here.

My guess is Flay is in it because he is the network's biggest star who hasn't had a sitcom on NBC.

Bill Russell

I think that most of you will agree the Flay/Morimoto pairing is genius. Its either gonna work,or crash and burn. I think the ego's are going get in the way a bit but if they can manage to keep them in check, I think they will prevail.I see them as a team with great presentation skills as opposed to Batali (Sakai has skills).Its gonna be a greatshow either way,I just hope they do it right.

I will print the questions out and ask as many as I can from e gullet. I will try to see which if any of them,lurk here on e gullet as well.

The Hungry Detective

Sakai's record with lobsters has not been good. Beef may be out due to the mad cow disease scare-unless the US Beef Council will be a sponsor. I would say the theme would be pork. Egg plant may be another. I am cheering for the Sakai team.

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

Presumably they both agreed to do it willingly. So it's unlikely there will be dueling on the set, though that might be fun to watch. Maybe Flay will have to watch how close his fingers get to Morimoto's sushi knives.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

teams?  oh dear.

My reaction exactly, Tommy. Traveling-Wilburysesque talent-layering is demeaning.

Chris Cognac, maybe you could ask any of the four if he wouldn't prefer to stand or fall on his individual effort, if offered the choice.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

teams?  oh dear.

My reaction exactly, Tommy. Traveling-Wilburysesque talent-layering is demeaning.

Chris Cognac, maybe you could ask any of the four if he wouldn't prefer to stand or fall on his individual effort, if offered the choice.

I'm sure given the choice, each would prefer to work alone. However, I think it is going to be more of a challenge for them to have to work as a team with someone else, especially given the language and cultural differences. How they are going to come with and agree on the dishes they will invent, and split up the work cooking and agreeing on presentation promises to be extraordinarily difficult. God help the judges.

teams?  oh dear.

That would be a good question, though I think the intent here on the part of FN producers is to bridge the old show with the new one. They'll have the original Chefs with whom we are all so familiar in this context, paired with FN originals we know (largely) from other contexts. What will be the format of future shows -- continued team matchups or the 3 (or 4) iron chefs for selection by a single challenger?

i'm guessing the teams might be the "event" for the first episode? especially the shock pairing of morimoto and flay?

anyway, i'll watch. alton brown as doc hattori sounds like genius but then again doc hattori didn't have much star wattage or particular shtick. this may turn into a mug-fest where every food network host gets a cameo. just as long as gordon elliott isn't the floor reporter and rachel ray isn't the permanent giggly judge.

i'm hoping flay stands on morimoto's cutting board at the start of the show and morimoto proceeds to flay him with his sushi knife. smelling blood batali, sakai and brown leap in with their bare hands and the theme ingredient is then announced: bobby flay!

i'm hoping flay stands on morimoto's cutting board at the start of the show and morimoto proceeds to flay him with his sushi knife. smelling blood batali, sakai and brown leap in with their bare hands and the theme ingredient is then announced: bobby flay!

Actually, should be Bobby Filet.

They are filming 4 battles this week,the first is today with Batali vs Morimoto then Flay/Sakai then the team battle (which I will be going too), then Puck Vs Morimoto.I think its all going to be good,now if I can just manage to get on as a judge (I will be handing out cards left and right)!

The Hungry Detective