• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Carolina Fish Camps

Fat Guy

It really wouldn't take that much longer to head up Lexington way, would it?

About 1:45 as opposed to 20 minutes to fish camp, but I've been to Lexington twice on this trip already (once on the way here and once on the way to High Point to drop off a chair for recovering) and, if I haven't eaten at every barbecue place in Lexington, I've at least already eaten at every important one over the course of something like 6 trips there in the last 5 years. I'm not really down here doing food research and discovery, though. There's no plan to be systematic about anything, make any discoveries, or have any significant meals. I'm here working on something that doesn't allow me any time for significant restaurant research; the fish camp adventure was happenstance so I posted about it.

We did consider a return to fish camp today (as in Twin Tops) but it's not open for lunch. Also, Bridges barbecue is closed on Tuesdays. Have plans tonight -- the neighbors are having us for dinner -- so I'm not sure when we'll get the opportunity if at all. We did a drive-by of fish camp and Ellen took a photo, though -- stay tuned.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

"Holly Moore"

Is the ultimate regional food, that you eat with your hands "Maven".

If you can eat it with your hands and it's not likely to drip greas on the front of your shirt, I'm not convinced Holly's had enough acquaintance with the food to comment. If it doesn't drip at all, I'd not be surprised if he passed it by altogether. On the other hand, I've only tried one of his recommendations. It was superb and I came out with a clean shirt. Who knows, maybe his criteria is not at strict as he claims.

(signed) fastidious eater :biggrin:

Hey it was breafast and served with a knife and fork. :raz:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

FG's pants are wildly appropriate for that shot.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Yes, at fish camp (as in the other fish camp across the street, where we ate last night) something like 8 people said things along the lines of:

"Aaah laahk yer pants."

"I gotta git me somma those!"

and

"You a fisherman?"

That's about double the number of people who normally comment on the fish pants at any given establishment.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

How about this: if anybody buys my book, I'll come back here to write the next one and I'll eat at any 20 Charlotte restaurants you pick for me.

Hey, if you're here next week, I might volunteer to drive you to one. Or at least, to the UHOP.

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer

Fish camps remind me of the "Fish Fry" in Nassau, Bahamas. I line of shacks in various stages of decrepitude (some actually quite nice for the tourists) that sell a variety of fried XXX in various shapes: fish shape; french fry shape, hush puppy shape; etc. And lots of conch salad. (Which, I must admit, I always found terribly disappointing.)

No! No! Stop, typing fingers! Don't reply to this thread. Don't get sucked into the vortex of another wasted debate on New Yorkers and their Southern stereotypes! Get away from that keyboard before you point out that Steve is at Lake Wylie, not Siberia, surrounded by the mega-bucks mansions of Tega Cay. Don't type in a suggestion that Charlotte, a rapidly growing urban area located less than 30 minutes from his "remote cabin," is a city filled with both the expected traditional Southern restaurants and fine dining and shopping worthy of any city its size, as well as sizable ethnic populations from Hmong to Peruvian.

Stop, fingers! You don't have time to get into this debate. Just tell Steve it's nice that he's found a fish camp, once a traditional and valued part of Southern life but now endangered. Type that you're glad he's enjoying his stay.

I noticed from the picture that the restaurant even has electricity :wink:.

By the way - we still have some real fish camps in and around the Jacksonville area. The ones I've been to always get good write-ups - but I didn't care for them (don't think any of them has changed its cooking oil for at least a decade). Robyn

Fish Camp is far more aggressive from a systemic viewpoint.

I didn't need to know that, Shaw.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Attention FG / Shaw :

If you haven't been to the Landmark Restaurant and Diner on Central Avenue in Charlotte, you're missing some of the finest food in town. Portions are awesome, prices are more than fair, and the quality is unbelievable at the price. I can't say that their steaks are the greatest, but just about everything else is unbelievably wonderful.

One of the original three Greek brothers who own the place is the baker. Fresh pastries and challah bread are prepared in the basement bakery several times a week. Their "Big Chocolate Cake" is not to be missed, especially if you're a chocoholic.

When you go in, ask for either of the cousins, Angelo or Angelo (no, really!) and tell them Keith sent you. If you go on Thursday through Sunday evenings, ask for Prakash's section. I've been eating there since I came to town in 1991, and would highly recommend it to anyone (HoddyMoo included!)