• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seafood in Galveston

brngckn

Greetings! I need opinions, and they are usually easy to come by on eGullet. :laugh::raz: My mother is visiting from Ohio this weekend, and one of the things she would like to do is eat good seafood in Galveston. We want good food, nice atmosphere, but casual dress still ok. I have some restaurant names. Would you recommend any of these or another?

Salsas

Brothers Petronella

Saltwater Grill

Rudy T and Paco (I understand this is spicy, yes? May have to scratch this one if so.)

Clary's Seafood

Thanks a bunch!

Saltwater Grill is good sometimes very good.

Rudy and Paco is also good and they have many non spicey dishes.

In San Leon, I believe, there is a seafood place that is supposed to be very good. It is called Topwater grill.

And I like Clary's. It's more "old school." It's owned by a fellow (Clary) that used to be the maitre d' at the Pelican Club, Galveston's old money private club that is located at the back of Gaido's.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

A big second recommendation for Topwater Grill in San Leon. It is my favorite hang out.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Get the bait shrimp appetizer at Topwater grill. Order it first because you probably will be too full for an entre after you eat it. I get all popcorn shrimp no buffalo style because the seasoning takes over the shrimp. Topwater is a place to go dressed as grungy as you want and look out onto the bay and the shrimp boats. It's in a marina at April Fool's point in San Leon at the end of 9th street.

Important thing to ask mother: When she says she "loves seafood," what does that mean. My father, too, "loves seafood," but absolutely hates that fried stuff that is ubiquitous along the Gulf coast. I cannot tell you how many times we have gone to this place or that, recommended as having "excellent seafood," only to discover it's all batter dipped and fried. Or "U-peel-M" shrimp.

Er, not that there's anything wrong with that.

But before you finalize your choice, I'd do a little more research.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Hi JetLag... So glad to have another Topwater fan aboard. I love that place during shrimp season. The shrimp go from Captain Benny's boats to the kitchen. They also make killer black beans.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

We rent a beach house on the west beach every summer - there is a small place I cannot remember the name of. It is out on the west beach bayside past Jamaica nearer to Sea Isle - there is a marina attached to the back of the restaurant where the boats come into dock. It was very good, very fresh, not a lot of fried/U-Peel-Em things. The prices were higher end for Galveston, but average for somewhere like Austin.

Does anyone know if Tony Mandolas still has a Blue Oyster Bar on 59?

You just drop into Topwater Grill. The only time that we have made a reservation is when we reserved an area for a party. If you decide to go there, I am hoping that you have good weather. Sitting outside is a real treat. The last time that I had the jumbo shrimp stuffed with a jalapeno strip and cheese and wrapped in bacon they were superb. I was trying to figure out how they cooked those shrimp so perfectly, melt in your mouth tender, and still got the bacon crispy.

Golightly67... I know the place you mean. A couple of years ago, my sister and I stayed in a friend's house for a weekend near there and went for dinner. The food was very good indeed. The problem is, I can't think of the name of it to save me. If you think of it, please post. It is driving me nuts. I haven't been back in over a year but I hear it is still getting good reviews.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

The last time that I had the jumbo shrimp stuffed with a jalapeno strip and cheese and wrapped in bacon they were superb. I was trying to figure out how they cooked those shrimp so perfectly, melt in your mouth tender, and still got the bacon crispy.

Boy does that sound wonderful! Almost worth going back to Galveston for. :cool:

The Blue Oyster Bar on the Gulf Freeway has been one of my favorite places for many years. When friends call from "in town" and want to meet for lunch or a casual dinner, this is a common choice because it is about halfway for all of us. They remodeled it in the last couple of years and it is more comfortable than ever. And, the food is consistently good. This is one of the few seafood restaurants that I frequent where I actually like their cole slaw.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

We went to Topwater Sunday afternoon. It was great to eat outdoors and enjoy the beautiful weather. We ordered Bobbers (crab balls for an appetizer), but they didn't come until after our meals... :hmmm: My mother and I both had the grilled stuffed shrimp, which were very good. My huband had a burger (not a seafood kinda guy). Aside from the appetizer mixup, a good time was had by all. Thanks for the recommendation! :smile:

I am glad you enjoyed Topwater. I tend to expect service mix-ups on Saturday or Sunday. The place gets really crazy and someone inevitably doesn't show up. I try to go on off times on weekends. It is a casual, laid back kind of place and I enjoy hanging out for a couple of hours. If the service is also laid back, it is at least friendly and enthusiastic. :biggrin:

Anyway, you should plan to go when Captain Benny is fishing. The seafood comes in fresh off his boats. They will use good fish bycatch for the fish dishes and of course the shrimp are fresh. I think shrimp season opens sometime around May.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"