• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ice Cream Floats

alacarte

In springtime, my thoughts turn to root beer floats....

I ran an Internet search using the phrase "root beer float," and here are some of the colorful tidbits I learned: Root beer float was one of the seven original Kool-Aid flavors. According to one purveyor of online greeting cards, Root Beer Float day is August 6th. I found multiple alcoholic versions of the root beer float. My favorite version combined Kahlua, Galliano, cream and cola. No root beer though.

It looked so lonely there sitting in the fridge, all by it's lonesome. :sad:

I was able to pawn off one of them on one of my buddies without any complaints! Actually, if you can get to the bottom of the bottle you forget how it tastes. :blink:

Awbrig can't get Milwaukee of the brain. Sprecher is a Milwaukee microbrewery that has been making their own root beer for ages. It's a fine root beer, although not the best. This is one case where the Sprecher folks wanted to do something fairly pedestrian. It makes a helluva float, however, particularly with Kopps custard.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

In springtime, my thoughts turn to root beer floats....

I ran an Internet search using the phrase "root beer float," and here are some of the colorful tidbits I learned:  Root beer float was one of the seven original Kool-Aid flavors. According to one purveyor of online greeting cards, Root Beer Float day is August 6th.  I found multiple alcoholic versions of the root beer float. My favorite version combined Kahlua, Galliano, cream and cola. No root beer though.

This one could rapidly become my favourite

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Long long ago and far far away there was a place called Elums. You could drive up and get a platter of fries or onion rings and your chioce of brown, black or orange "cows" brought out to your car or you could just drive thru for a cute little pint jug of Elums brand rootbeer. *sigh* Good Times.

According to my mother the family that owned Elums moved to the Sunshine state and set up shopthere

I'm currently limited to using Schnucks brand vanilla bean ice cream (surprisingly good for a store brand) and Dogs and Suds rootbeer to get my fix.

Crystal :rolleyes:

We like the mooooon........Coz it is close to us...........

We had a Dog N Suds. We took home barrel shaped gallons of root beer (It was "The Creamiest"). We ate hot dogs. We grew fat and happy. I think there's only a couple of Dog N Suds (or, as we called them, Arf N Barfs) left.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

From the A&W site
WA  SEATTLE  1046 1ST AVENUE S  98134  A&W RESTAURANT  209-956-0566

Hot dog!

A&W's are pretty rampant over in Michigan and Wisconsin and I loved going there as a kid. What I particularly enjoy now about them is you can still get an ice cold glass mug of root beer. Where else can you get that? Even still I'll get one with a float every once in a while.

You can get fried cheese curds out there as well.

Alacarte: nice to see it in "print!" :biggrin: But I feel :sad: for your m-i-l -- just proves GIGO. If you want good food, ya gotta use good ingredients!!

My favorite Brattleboro microbrewery, McNeill's, sometimes does a root beer. I'll have to try it when I'm up there this summer.

Perhaps this is heresy, but since I've never really enjoyed Root Beer, and since Cream Soda Floats have no taste, I've been condering the Red Birch Beer Float and the Ginger Beer Float.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"