• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ULTRA

Lesley C

The chef, Paul Boehmer, was likely struggling to put together a menu to please the owners. I haven't yet eaten at ULTRA, but have eaten many of Chef Boehmer's creations in the past - he is superb. IMHO.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Yes, it was because the owners wanted French food "with a twist." How many times have I heard that one before? :rolleyes:

The restaurant is in Toronto, and according to the owner on the show, over three million dollars were poured into renovations and decor.

Reservations Friday night. Would be happy to post review here if anyone is interested....

Jacob Richler had an amusing review a few weeks ago in the Post.

If I remember correctly, he said the food was fine, but the atmosphere sucked. His theory was to make money they had to keep the space as a hybrid night club / restaurant. The result being a lot of people showing up for dancing or posing or whatever and the music starting to blare before he got to his dessert.

Malcolm Jolley

Gremolata.com

I don't disagree with you malcolmjolley. I have heard from friends that the "scene" may be less than ideal, and others who have loved it (no, not the twenty-something set!). However, we are going strictly because of the chef in this case and some memorable meals he's made in the past.

Jake,

As I remember, the review (I wish the NP had a backlog, so I could post a link), said about as much: excellent food from an excellent chef. It was more a lament that they weren't letting the serious diners finish before it became less supper and more club.

Anyway, you'll definitely have to tell us how it goes.

Cheers,

Malcolm

Malcolm Jolley

Gremolata.com

We were there last week for dinner. First of all, it's a known fact that this place turns into a disco at 11PM, so it shouldn't be a surprise to serious diners. Second, that only happens on week-end nights.

As far as food and the whole atmosphere, what this place reminded me of (pre-11PM) is Acrobat. As you know, Charles Kabbouth was the previous part-owner of Acrobat, and it's just my gut feel that he has re-created part of that in Ultra. Acrobat was a cool place back in the early 90's where you can get very decent food and a great bar atmosphere at the same time.

Food-wise, Paul wasn't there that evening as it was his night off. The venison and steak were fine, although not outstanding. We were told later that the veal is the way to go. Deserts were excellent; I recall a caramel chocolate tart that was amazingly well done, and there was another chocolate desert that was very respectable.

Service was excellent, with several high energy waiters with zero attitude, and lots of goodwill and plenty of teamwork that I noticed.

All and all, this isn't a place where you can compare its food to a top restaurant. It's one notch down, but they try to be consistent, given the volume. But if you look for overall atmosphere, look and feel, food, wine etc...the whole thing-together is unique and the overall quality is not bad. When I first went inside, it didn't strike me as the out-of-this world place that others have described, but it is different for sure. The booth seats are definitely very comfortable and give you that top-of-the-world feeling as you are perched over everybody else.

The wine list was respectable, although not outstanding, but it does appeal to all tastes and budgets without blowing the top end. So to enjoy Ultra, I think you have to have the right expectations as to what it is, and what it is not.

The place is definitely gearing-up to become a high-volume, good quality restaurant, club, patio, etc.

"I hate people who are not serious about their meals." Oscar Wilde