• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Lunch Spots in DC

liamdc

I certainly don't eat a lot of lunches out compared to dinners, but had occasion to this past beautiful Saturday. Johnny's again proved its mettle by delivering delicious food promptly and courteously. 'sara' and I ate at the bar. Terrific prompt service and an immediate offer to try a wine I had a question about. I enjoyed the Maryland crab cake appetizer and the lovely spicy oyster stew (with more than a half-dozen plump oysters), along with a glass of sancerre.

Sara, care to comment on your meal?

Egulleteers, where else should one go for a pleasing weekend lunch in the DC area? Nominations are being accepted... :cool:

Edited by liamdc (log)

Liam

Eat it, eat it

If it's gettin' cold, reheat it

Have a big dinner, have a light snack

If you don't like it, you can't send it back

Just eat it -- Weird Al Yankovic

They served them broiled or fried (according to the menu). I don't know why. I can't imagine ever choosing to have my crabcakes fried. But they were quite nice broiled as they have been in the past.

Liam

Eat it, eat it

Well, crabcakes are traditionally prepared pan-fried. I figured "fried" meant the way they are supposed to be cooked, and "broiled" was the lower fat alternative. I also can't imagine why anyone would deep fry a crabcake.

I hear ya. Leave the deep frying for fried dough, Snickers bars, and the like. :unsure: Maybe they had a guest chef from a traveling carnival the day you were there? :raz:

Liam

Eat it, eat it

I had a nice 6-pack of oysters (Malpeques and some French-Canadian I can't recall) and some awesome spicy chicken wings--very meaty, spicy, not too greasy. We sat at the bar and really enjoyed the bartender, who was smart, friendly, and sweet enough to feed the fish to entertain me. :biggrin:

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Pizzeria Paradisio right across the street from Johnny's on P is a great lunch choice. Order the sparkling lemonade to chase your pizza of choice. They're less insane at lunchtime than dinner in my experience. (Disclaimer: I have not been to the Georgetown location.)

Pizzeria Paradisio right across the street from Johnny's on P is a great lunch choice. Order the sparkling lemonade to chase your pizza of choice. They're less insane at lunchtime than dinner in my experience. (Disclaimer: I have not been to the Georgetown location.)

The Georgetown Pizza Paradiso is to be avoided unless you're willing to undergo something akin to a root canal in order to obtain some of the magical pie.

The pie is just as good as it is uptown, but everything else about my experiences there was painful.

The exact details are a little fuzzy as my 2 visits there were both last fall.

The tapenade had been sitting in such a cold fridge, that the olive oil had congealed. I don't know about you, but I prefer my EVOO in the liquid form. After I spent 15 minutes trying to flag down any waitor, I finally found someone to take it back to the kitchen. Nothing was brought in return nor was I asked if we wanted anything else and it appeared on the bill (but not for long).

The iced tea more resembled a brown colored water than an actual drink.

The space was so crowded that I had to ask the next table's permission to use my knife and fork at the same time.

The only thing besides the pizza that saved me from a truly disastrous experience was the efforts of the one competent waitor in the whole room. Unfortunately he had to cover for the incompetence of everyone else on the floor (including the hostess) and for all I know, the kitchen as well.

I will not be making a return visit.

edited for spellign

Edited by JPW (log)

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

On my days off from work, I'm a fan of Indique for lunch.... Particularly on warm sunny days when you can sit outside at the tables on the balconies overlooking Connecticut Ave.. It's a surprisingly calm and peaceful setting and the food is delish.

Debbie S. aka "ozgirl"

Squirrel: "Darn nuts! How I long for a grapefruit." - Eddie Izzard

"The Georgetown Pizza Paradiso is to be avoided unless you're willing to undergo something akin to a root canal in order to obtain some of the magical pie."

I've had very different experiences here, especially at lunch. I find the place too crowded for dinner but very pleasant at lunch. I've had good, attentive service without the glitches or crowding JPW experienced. Perhaps they have gotten better since you last went?

Perhaps they have gotten better since you last went?

That could indeed be the case.

However, having been burnt twice, I will most likely try other spots when I am in the area making Mrs. JPW happy by buying stuff for her at Kate Spade.

Cheers.

:smile::smile::smile:

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

I'm so glad to hear that the wings at Johnny's are still terrific! It seems so strange for a fish place, but then Ann Cashion is super.

Is Market Inn still open? We used to love going there for Saturday lunch -- oyster specials -- but that was 25 years ago.

I believe Tunnicliff's at Eastern Market has new management and/or a new chef. I've been there for brunch a couple of times in the last few weeks and was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the food. The Eggs Benedict with Crab was perfect except for the overly hard and crunchy English muffin underneath. Good Bloody Marys too!

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

I love spending a couple of hours at Eastern Market, and then popping into Montmartre for what I think is the best weekend lunch available in town.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Oh, yeah. Definitely Montmartre, and not just on the weekend. I've eaten lunch there three times in the last few weeks while on Hill-related business and it's an extremely amiable scene with food that's hard to fault. The sautéed monkfish with chickpeas and caramelized sweet onion sauce was up there with the best bits of fish I've had and I'd also recommend the braised rabbit leg with olives, shiitakes and creamy pasta -- though perhaps not, when paired with a few Stellas and a bottle of Crozes-Hermitage, if you have hopes of accomplishing much in the P.M. hours. The friendly proprietor and charming, statuesque Gallic hostess also add a certain savor to the experience. :wub: Go.

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.